Experience with Eagle Tours N.V. in St. Maarten?

GUEST71919

Hello Fellow cruisers :D

Over a month ago I research potential jurors for snorkeling and based on the great reviews at TripAdvisor decided to go with the cruise friendly “Ultimate Powerboat Eco Tour Around The Island Of St Maarten And St Martin” from Eagle Tours NV (I began using TA early on and reviewed many places and so trust it more than other review sites). The site is under sailingsxm however. So, I completed their web form with all the info and received an email with an attached pdf confirmation. It said there we would be contacted by Eagle Tours regarding a “deposit”. Strangely, the pdf info also indicated that payment was due on receipt of the invoice and would be charged to the credit card, although no credit card was provided nor requested (this seemingly contradicting the information regarding being contacted about a deposit).

We are now just over 2 weeks from the tour date and we have heard nothing from Eagle a Tours. I have assumed that they were waiting to see if there were enough parties to go (although with Allure in port I would think there was a little chance that the tour did not have enough interest to make it a go?!). I decided to email several days ago, but heard nothing in response. I have since re-emailed both the original email address and a secondary one located on their website. Still nothing. It’s a major part of our vacation plan and so I am concerned at this point.

Does anyone have any personal or even second-hand experience with Eagle Tours? I would hate to have chosen badly given the high number of positive reviews, but given this is their business no return email after days is not encouraging. :o

And happy sailing...

Lynn

My cruise is in December and I just filled out the form and was confused by it. Please keep me updated with what happens with your situation. I think I might switch companies.

When it’s such a major part of a vacation, getting no updates or replies can be a concern. I had a note from some rep on my trip adviser question from yesterday - just said something like “we responded to your contact, have you not received it?”. Hmmm... yeah no. We will see! They have such good ratings, but I will let you know what happens since our trip is far enough from yours that you will have an answer good or bad for sure.

Lynn

My cruise is in December and I just filled out the form and was confused by it. Please keep me updated with what happens with your situation. I think I might switch companies.

@Crystal04

Update - I got an email today from them and hubby got a voice mail. At the same time the email from today came in, so did an email dated a few days ago on 9/29 (when I sent the second email I believe). Might be the outgoing mail for them didn’t go or some other email gremlin. The only new news was that they charge a surcharge for paying either by Cc (5%) or PayPal (4%). Also, the “deposit” is the full amount due (this not a deposit...). I would rather not get hit with new info at the end. But we are so close to our cruise that I guess we will keep it as is. I will update you

Thank you for updating. I greatly appreciate it. I was debating between them and Random Wind. They both have excellent reviews.

I don’t remember seeing the Random Wind one. This one seemed to have fairly good cover on the boat, and my skin is definitely not a sun worshipping kind of skin, as well as more time in the water (power boat vs catamaran) and not a heavy party focus (if I want to party I can do it anywhere, I’m not spending a tour of my only afternoon in Sint Maarten doing it :')).

I will send you a friend request so at least we can PM with new info and reviews. :)

Later,

Lynn

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2018 at 8:31 AM, 2Beeze said:

I don’t remember seeing the Random Wind one. This one seemed to have fairly good cover on the boat, and my skin is definitely not a sun worshipping kind of skin, as well as more time in the water (power boat vs catamaran) and not a heavy party focus (if I want to party I can do it anywhere, I’m not spending a tour of my only afternoon in Sint Maarten doing it :')).

I will send you a friend request so at least we can PM with new info and reviews. 🙂

Later,

Lynn

Lynn,

Have you gotten some more info??? I am debating going with them on a power catamaran vs the sailing catamaran... Any info would be very helpful! Thank you!

On 11/12/2018 at 5:16 PM, kloos5 said:

Lynn,

Have you gotten some more info??? I am debating going with them on a power catamaran vs the sailing catamaran... Any info would be very helpful! Thank you!

Hi! Ok we are back so I thought that I would give an update.  We liked this tour group, all quite friendly . Unfortunately we had super bad weather. As in 15’ swells. Really! 😟.  I got tossed in the air and into the bottom of the boat (hard and tough) onto the side of my hip and thigh.  Not what you expect when you are 5’8” 😂. I survived clearly, but had a muscle bruise that was there 2 weeks later. That said, they could not have known it would be that bad. The skipper was exhausted I know since there was more than an hour he drove in those waves and stinging rain. We were cold and wet.  But those two guys on that boat were really super nice, even gracious. The weather just went haywire.  We did the eco snorkel 4 stop on the power boat (I liked that it had covering and bench seats), but you could always try a half day instead. Note - they will help, but that tour is mostly for exprienced snorkelers. 

@Wilson  and @kloos5we will be back Nov. 2019. I will look them up, variety being the spice of life etc!. Thanks 😊

Lynn

Edited by 2Beeze

Lynn,

Thank you so much for this info. Very helpful! I am so sorry for what happened to you on the boat. I think I would have been very angry... I have been in contact with Eagle Tours and when I asked one of the employees via e-mail if they do go out if the ocean swells are big, she told me that they wouldn't. Well, by your record, obliviously they did. We are advanced snorkelers and divers so no problem there but I am not going to be tossed around a boat like a rag doll.  That is just crazy...:(

On 11/14/2018 at 9:21 PM, Wilson said:

We used Random Wind last month and had a great experience. Excellent communication prior to the excursion.

Had a wonderful day of sailing, snorkeling, eating, drinking, etc...

Wilson, thank you very much. I did contact Random Wind 2 weeks ago as they had solid ranking on Tripadvisor for the past 1.5 years. Got a response that they will contact me if more people from my ship inquire. We will see.... 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kloos5 said:

Wilson, thank you very much. I did contact Random Wind 2 weeks ago as they had solid ranking on Tripadvisor for the past 1.5 years. Got a response that they will contact me if more people from my ship inquire. We will see.... 

If you are part of a cruise critic or facebook roll call, add a link to the Random Wind site and suggest folks join you. We did that and got enough folk to make it happen. 

6 hours ago, Wilson said:

If you are part of a cruise critic or facebook roll call, add a link to the Random Wind site and suggest folks join you. We did that and got enough folk to make it happen. 

Yes, have already done that 2 weeks ago, Nothing. 

22 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Darn. Hopefully you guys we’ll get enough. 

I know, it sucks. I even asked if someone would like to charter a boat at another port. Also, absolutely nothing. I will just book stuff separately if I don't hear anything withing a week or two. Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2018 at 8:35 PM, kloos5 said:

Lynn,

Thank you so much for this info. Very helpful! I am so sorry for what happened to you on the boat. I think I would have been very angry... I have been in contact with Eagle Tours and when I asked one of the employees via e-mail if they do go out if the ocean swells are big, she told me that they wouldn't. Well, by your record, obliviously they did. We are advanced snorkelers and divers so no problem there but I am not going to be tossed around a boat like a rag doll.  That is just crazy...:(

It was a heck of a ride for sure!  Now I have no way to know if they could/should have known, but it was memorable. Sorry that I didn't respond sooner, I somehow didn't get the ping :-/

Lynn