cruisenext, specialty restaurant reservations / recommendations? Bliss Alaska

RVD

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time booking an NCL cruise. I have been cruising every couple of years or so for the past 20 years across many cruise lines such as Carnival, Royal, and Princess. After having kids, we have been cruising Disney pretty exclusively. My parents and brother's family are joining us for Alaska next summer and we decided to try NCL for the first time on the Bliss!

I have been doing a lot of reading but have a few questions:

1) I booked 3 rooms (balcony) directly on ncl but then moved the confirmations to a travel agent. I am interested in buying some cruisenext certificates and applying them to our rooms to save some money but is that possible? I don't think there is any way for me to pay anymore on ncl.com and my travel agent website only lets me pay via credit card. It looks like people have had success applying cruisenext to existing reservations where the deposit has been paid. I read through the cruisenext faq.

2) We got the 3 specialty restaurant pass. From my reading we'll probably pick 3 from: Q, cagneys, teppanyaki, ocean blue. Usually I'm fairly happy with the dinner choices that come included and I like specialty dining for lunch (since lunch is usually just buffet or stuff like that). Is that a decent strategy to use these are are these places not good for lunch? If dinner, are some days especially good in the dining room (e.g. looks like NCL doesn't have lobster but sometimes cruises have lobster night, etc.).

3) Do any of the specialty restaurants have lobster anymore?

4) When can reservations be made for specialty restaurants? Can I make reservations online?

5) Can reservations be made online for the race track and laser tag? Or does this have to be done in person on the ship? If on the ship, this is the first thing we'll do.

6) Are strategies to get the earliest boarding time? i.e., online check in opens up X days before sailing, etc.

7) For our other free promo, we got the drinks package for 4 of us but my elderly parents don't drink much so I got the wifi plan for them (250 minutes each). Any thoughts on wifi? Does it work ok for simple things like email, etc.?

8) Has anyone used a cell phone plan at sea? Is there anything with AT&T or T-Mobile that can be purchased ahead of time for X minutes/data?

Thanks everyone!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time booking an NCL cruise. I have been cruising every couple of years or so for the past 20 years across many cruise lines such as Carnival, Royal, and Princess. After having kids, we have been cruising Disney pretty exclusively. My parents and brother's family are joining us for Alaska next summer and we decided to try NCL for the first time on the Bliss!

1) I booked 3 rooms (balcony) directly on ncl but then moved the confirmations to a travel agent. I am interested in buying some cruisenext certificates and applying them to our rooms to save some money but is that possible? I don't think there is any way for me to pay anymore on ncl.com and my travel agent website only lets me pay via credit card. It looks like people have had success applying cruisenext to existing reservations where the deposit has been paid. I read through the cruisenext faq.

2) We got the 3 specialty restaurant pass. From my reading we'll probably pick 3 from: Q, cagneys, teppanyaki, ocean blue. Usually I'm fairly happy with the dinner choices that come included and I like specialty dining for lunch (since lunch is usually just buffet or stuff like that). Is that a decent strategy to use these are are these places not good for lunch? If dinner, are some days especially good in the dining room (e.g. looks like NCL doesn't have lobster but sometimes cruises have lobster night, etc.). Specialty restaurant packages - it is for dinner only. Ocean Blue - an up charge fee is added on if you pick this restaurant. See this link for all Q&A: https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

3) Do any of the specialty restaurants have lobster anymore? - Maybe in Ocean Blue.

4) When can reservations be made for specialty restaurants? Can I make reservations online? - Yes, you can make reservations online or call the number provided in the Q&A.

5) Can reservations be made online for the race track and laser tag? Or does this have to be done in person on the ship? If on the ship, this is the first thing we'll do.

6) Are strategies to get the earliest boarding time? i.e., online check in opens up X days before sailing, etc.

7) For our other free promo, we got the drinks package for 4 of us but my elderly parents don't drink much so I got the wifi plan for them (250 minutes each). Any thoughts on wifi? Does it work ok for simple things like email, etc.?

8) Has anyone used a cell phone plan at sea? Is there anything with AT&T or T-Mobile that can be purchased ahead of time for X minutes/data?

Thanks everyone!

I answered the ones I know. Regarding the 250 minutes - if you wanted, you can also upgrade it to the unlimited plan. You would have to remember to login and logoff each time you are finished with the web. Or else the minutes can be used all up.

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to Freestyle Cruising!

2) We got the 3 specialty restaurant pass. From my reading we'll probably pick 3 from: Q, cagneys, teppanyaki, ocean blue. Usually I'm fairly happy with the dinner choices that come included and I like specialty dining for lunch (since lunch is usually just buffet or stuff like that). Is that a decent strategy to use these are are these places not good for lunch? If dinner, are some days especially good in the dining room (e.g. looks like NCL doesn't have lobster but sometimes cruises have lobster night, etc.).

None of the specialty restaurants listed are open for lunch. Just dinner. No lobster night on NCL.

3) Do any of the specialty restaurants have lobster anymore?

Ocean Blue has a lobster pot pie. It was actually pretty good.

4) When can reservations be made for specialty restaurants? Can I make reservations online?

Restaurant and show reservations open 120 days prior to cruise (130 if you are in the Haven suites). To get the best times, exactly 120 days out, at the stroke of midnight NCL-time (Miami), book your two main shows Jersey Boys and Havana, then book your dinners around the shows.

The Go Karts, Laser Tag, Comedy Shows, Escape Room, and Canvas by U painting can only be booked on board. All can be done at the box office, Bliss Theater, Deck 7 starboard.

NCL may assign a "time to arrive at port" which is not enforced. Show up at the port around 10:15 to get through security and check-in quickly. General boarding starts between 11:00 and 11:30. The Buffet, The Local, and the Observation Lounge open for lunch at 11:30. Taste and Savor Main Dining Rooms open at noon. Margaritaville (extra fee) opens at noon.

Works o.k. for simple things.

AT&T offers an unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 200 MB (very tiny) plan for $100

Thanks everyone!

Have a great cruise. Our live post from the Bliss with photos, menus, and food can be found at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641186