Online tour operators

LobsterStalker

Hi all, I've been on 7 cruises now, all with Royal Caribbean,and heading for our 8th on Norwegian Breakaway in a couple weeks.

We generally don't do a lot of excursions , maybe 1,possibly 2 per trip. Most stops we usually like to find a nearby beach and relax. On previous cruises I have booked excursions both from the ship, as well as on the dock with the local providers. I am wondering if anyone has booked IN ADVANCE with any private companies for any Caribbean ports, and if so how the experience was for you ?

Also , 3 ports we are heading to next month will be new to us. Anyone with any tips for me on beaches or Can't miss adventures in St. Thomas, Basseterre or Tortola would be appreciated.

Thx in advance

Colin

We book excursions in advance all the time. We use the Ports of Call area on these boards for ideas and recommendations and also research online. We've done this in the Caribbean, Mexican Riviera and various Europpean cruises.

We have had mostly very good to great tours. Many of the tours only ask for payment after the tour is over, but more and more are asking for a deposit, and a few ask for payment in full at the time of booking.

We wouldn't take a tour that didn't promise a full refund (if we paid in advance or a deposit) if we were unable to take the tour--which luckily has never happened, although the tour operator in one case met us at the terminal and recommended not going that day because water conditions were murky--which I felt was very honest of them. (It was a tour to snorkel at an underwater sculpture garden on Grenada.

We also sometimes just pick up tours at the dock. Those have mostly been good also.

We are cruising in November and have booked ahead 3 of the 7 ports so far. Will probably do a couple more and just spend some beach time on some islands.