Just Returned From Cuba

paumarier

My husband and I just returned from our cruise on the Oceania Sirena to Cuba. It was absolutely wonderful. We would recommend going to Cuba to everyone. It was enlightening to learn more about the Cuban culture and lifestyle and the island is very beautiful.

There have been so many questions and concerns about the ability of Americans being allowed off the ships and into Cuba. We had absolutely no issues or problems going ashore and traveling privately throughout Cuba. I've read that many people, cruise lines and travel agents are scaring people with false reports of not being able to leave the ship or being held at immigration or other false stories. It scared a few people we spoke with from hiring private guides, so instead, they went on the ship's excursions. That's exactly what they want you to do because it means more business for them. That is not necessary, you do not need to be afraid to walk or travel around Cuba. The people are very friendly. It is a very poor island so you will have people begging or trying to sell you things as walk around. We just said, "no gracias" and kept walking. We had absolutely no problems.

A couple of months prior to the cruise, Oceania sent us an application and affidavit in preparation of getting our Cuban visas. We filled out the application, checked off "Support the Cuban People" on the affidavit, and sent it all back to Oceania through our travel agent. They processed everything and when we checked in to board the ship at embarkation, they gave us our Cuban visas. At each port, we waited until all the excursion passengers left because those were the only times when there was a line at immigration. Obviously because there were so many people trying to get off the ship at the same time.

When we were ready to go ashore, we walked through a small building where the immigration officers were seated. They asked for our passports and visas. They looked at them, looked at us, and then just gave them back to us. That was it! We said gracias and walked away.

We hired private guides to take us around each port. They were fantastic. We learned so much about the people, the country, the history, the different locations we visited. We had lunch at small family restaurants, stopped for drinks at small out of the way bars or cafes, and we saw so much more being able to get away on our own with our guide and driver. I wouldn't do it any other way. We actually shared a taxi back to the airport when we returned to Miami and got to talking with the other couple who went on the ship's excursions. They did not see several places that we got to see nor were they told many of the historical/social facts that we were told. They were disappointed they missed so much.

It was a truly wonderful vacation and we thoroughly enjoyed driving all over Cuba. We spent one night in Havana, two nights in Cienfuegos and two nights in Santiago. Our only regret was that we only had one night in Havana. We would have loved one more day there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, HazyDavy said:

If you don’t mind sharing, who did you use as a guide in Santiago de Cuba?

We used Yuri but would not recommend him. He told us we would have a private tour in our own classic car, but it turned out that there were about 10 cars in a caravan that went to each site. Took a very long time and there were 20 of us walking around...couldn't leave till everyone got back to their cars.  

On 10/8/2018 at 4:23 PM, paumarier said:

My husband and I just returned from our cruise on the Oceania Sirena to Cuba. It was absolutely wonderful. We would recommend going to Cuba to everyone. It was enlightening to learn more about the Cuban culture and lifestyle and the island is very beautiful.

There have been so many questions and concerns about the ability of Americans being allowed off the ships and into Cuba. We had absolutely no issues or problems going ashore and traveling privately throughout Cuba. I've read that many people, cruise lines and travel agents are scaring people with false reports of not being able to leave the ship or being held at immigration or other false stories. It scared a few people we spoke with from hiring private guides, so instead, they went on the ship's excursions. That's exactly what they want you to do because it means more business for them. That is not necessary, you do not need to be afraid to walk or travel around Cuba. The people are very friendly. It is a very poor island so you will have people begging or trying to sell you things as walk around. We just said, "no gracias" and kept walking. We had absolutely no problems.

A couple of months prior to the cruise, Oceania sent us an application and affidavit in preparation of getting our Cuban visas. We filled out the application, checked off "Support the Cuban People" on the affidavit, and sent it all back to Oceania through our travel agent. They processed everything and when we checked in to board the ship at embarkation, they gave us our Cuban visas. At each port, we waited until all the excursion passengers left because those were the only times when there was a line at immigration. Obviously because there were so many people trying to get off the ship at the same time.

When we were ready to go ashore, we walked through a small building where the immigration officers were seated. They asked for our passports and visas. They looked at them, looked at us, and then just gave them back to us. That was it! We said gracias and walked away.

We hired private guides to take us around each port. They were fantastic. We learned so much about the people, the country, the history, the different locations we visited. We had lunch at small family restaurants, stopped for drinks at small out of the way bars or cafes, and we saw so much more being able to get away on our own with our guide and driver. I wouldn't do it any other way. We actually shared a taxi back to the airport when we returned to Miami and got to talking with the other couple who went on the ship's excursions. They did not see several places that we got to see nor were they told many of the historical/social facts that we were told. They were disappointed they missed so much.

It was a truly wonderful vacation and we thoroughly enjoyed driving all over Cuba. We spent one night in Havana, two nights in Cienfuegos and two nights in Santiago. Our only regret was that we only had one night in Havana. We would have loved one more day there.

We had the same experience! Can't wait to return!!

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

We used Yuri but would not recommend him. He told us we would have a private tour in our own classic car, but it turned out that there were about 10 cars in a caravan that went to each site. Took a very long time and there were 20 of us walking around...couldn't leave till everyone got back to their cars.  

Thank you. Good to know. 

All three of our private guides were fantastic. When corresponding with them prior to the cruise, they all responded within a reasonable time frame considering Cuba's lack of wifi, were agreeable to tailoring our tours around what we wanted to see and do, and answered all my questions about what to see and do. I needed to make sure the cars that we were going to be using were large enough to be comfortable for my 6'2" husband with new knees and were air conditioned. All three guides assured me that would not be a problem and that my husband would be very comfortable. 

Havana:  We hired Raul of Blexie Tours. We enjoyed our day with Raul and our driver very much. Raul spoke English very well and he showed us a great deal of Havana and the countryside. We drove around in a 1958 Buick Belvidere which was immaculate and in amazingly perfect condition. Since it was in the high 90's, we really appreciated the air conditioning. Raul kept us very well entertained by sharing his knowledge of Cuban history and showing us all the important landmarks that you'd want to see if you were going to Havana. We didn't want to wait at the terminal to exchange our money so he took us to a bank where we just walked right in and had no problem. My husband wanted to buy cigars so he brought us to a store where he was able to purchase real cigars. He also took us to Fusterlandia which most tourists do not see. To get there we drove along the coast, through the area where most of the embassies are located, especially interesting was the Russian embassy, and saw some very affluent neighborhoods where high level government workers live. When he heard I liked gardens, he took us to a botanical garden with enormous banyan trees. While walking in Havana, he showed us small grocery stores locals used and explained how food was distributed to people depending on their income. He took us to a small family run restaurant where we had delicious pork sandwiches and nice cold beers. No "Cuban sandwiches" here. In other words, Raul really listened to what we wanted and made sure our day was tailored to us. We would happily hire him again and recommend him to anyone going to Havana.

Cienfuegos and Trinidad:  We hired Gio Guerra of Gio's Cuba Photo Tours to take us to Trinidad. Since we were docked in Cienfuegos for two days, we decided to do one day in Trinidad and one day walking on our own in Cienfuegos.  Gio picked us up with his driver in a clean, good sized, air conditioned taxi. Gio spoke English very well, was very friendly and extremely knowledgeable about Cuban history, geography and current social events. We learned a lot from Gio. Our drive to Trinidad took just about an hour and Gio kept us very well entertained during the drive. Once in Trinidad, Gio brought us to an old locomotive steam train depot and explained it's interesting history. Then he took us for a tour of the center of Trinidad. Since my husband couldn't walk the cobblestones, Gio got us a horse drawn carriage to take us all around the town while he explained all the sites. We stopped a few times to see different landmarks, go to a local bar for a drink, and even shop in a woman's home where she sold hand sewn, embroidered and crocheted clothing and linens. Again, it was very interesting talking with this lady while Gio explained that they could sell their hand made products, made by all the women in the family, out of their home (literally her living room) in order to make a little money.  After touring Trinidad, Gio brought us to the Valle de los Ingenios, the Valley of Sugar Mills. Back in the day, this gorgeous valley was filled with sugar cane and the mills that processed them. Gio gave us a great tour of the ruins of a sugar mill plantation that is currently being excavated and restored. We stopped for lunch at a restaurant Gio recommended and had a delicious lunch of paella, octopus and shrimp with all the usual sides. It really was very good. Once we got back to Cienfuegus, Gio had the driver take us all around the town to show us where to go the next day when we were on our own. He added several little touches like that to make our visit extra special.  We thoroughly enjoyed our time with Gio and would definitely hire him again. We recommend Gio to anyone wanting to go to Trinidad. 

Santiago de Cuba: We were in Santiago for two days and hired Maikel Alvarez for both days. He has a taxi service but also is also a tour guide. Miakel speaks English well, is very personable and very knowledgeable. He picked us up in a clean, well maintained, air conditioned taxi which he drove. Maikel took us all over Santiago where we saw all the major sites including San Juan Hill, Morro Castle and the cemetery where Fidel Castro is buried. Maikel brought us to a paladar for lunch, a private home where they serve meals. We sat at a table on the front balcony overlooking the ocean and beautiful islands. My husband and I both had the octopus and it was some of the best we ever had. You could compare the meal we had at this paladar with any restaurant back home. He took us to Helechos Garden, a fern botanical garden that has over 10,000 types of ferns. I was in heaven. What a great way to spend an hour or two having a private guide by the botanist who planted all these ferns. Maikel also took us to El Cobre, the church out in the country near the copper mines. On the way back, we stopped at a little shack where a man cut open coconuts for us to drink the coconut water and eat the coconut meat. Maikel made sure we saw the best of Santiago and also added in a few hidden gems. It's little things like this that make a great tour guide. Maikel was very entertaining and informative. We would definitely hire him again and recommend him to anyone going to Santiago de Cuba.

Edited by paumarier
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 10:38 AM, tybeelucy2 said:

Thanks for sharing. Who did you use in Cienfuegos for a private guide and would you recommend them?

In Cienfuegos we used Fernando Mora....we had a decent classic car and a fantastic guide, Beatriz!  We customized our tour....went to some places they recommended and others that we wanted to see/do.  It was one of the best days we ever had!  Had our hair cut in a small local beauty salon...the patrons were shocked to see Americans there.  It was so fun and the Cubans are so friendly.   We walked down little streets, stopped at small cafes and had lunch in a small paladar. This is how we like to travel...might not be comfortable for everyone though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 3:23 PM, paumarier said:

Did you have any baggage? I've seen other people talk about X-rays and baggage inspection, but then others like you say you just show a passport and go right through.

Going ashore we did not have any baggage/luggage but we did have a small backpack and my purse. There are baggage x-ray machines at immigration but they did not have us use them. Going back to the ship, we did put our things through the x-ray machine but I don't know if that's because we were leaving Cuba or because we were going onto the ship. I did not see anyone have a problem.

• Thanks 1

We have Raul end of the month.   Can I leave my tote bag in the car and just take my purse if we get out and walk around somewhere.  

At the restaurant u went to were there other choices on the menu and was it reasonable?

glad u enjoyed Havana we r looking forward to seeing Raul and Havana. Thnx for all ur information.  

Do u remember the name of the restaurant?

Edited by dorijo
Add question

On 11/14/2018 at 7:24 PM, dorijo said:

We have Raul end of the month.   Can I leave my tote bag in the car and just take my purse if we get out and walk around somewhere.  

At the restaurant u went to were there other choices on the menu and was it reasonable?

glad u enjoyed Havana we r looking forward to seeing Raul and Havana. Thnx for all ur information.  

Do u remember the name of the restaurant?

Just returned from private tour through Blexie Tours with a different tour guide but we felt very comfortable leaving some belongings in the car.  The driver stayed with the car when we were viewing several sites.  Our tour started with walking around Old Havana and then we met our driver and car.  After that we drove around various places in Havana where we got out to view the areas.  Following our drive, we did leave the car and continue walking around the Plaza de Catedral and nearby area.  Later we met back up with our driver who continued the driving tour until returning to the terminal area.  Felt very safe and secure with Rollie, our guide, and Rafe, our driver.  We did not eat a big meal while on our tour, but we did stop for something to drink and small "lite" lunch at a lovely cafe on the corner by the National Theater/Ballet  Building near the Capitol.  Was very relaxing and enjoyable with live music - cost for 3 sodas, cheese tray, gazpacho, including tip, was 30 CUCs.  There were other selections, including salads & entrees. We asked our guide to join us and experienced interesting conversation with him.  Don't remember the name unfortunately.  Great day & tour!

I would like to add a few comments. We went to Havana, staying overnight, on RCL in August and had a similar experience. They told us we would not be able to leave the ship without an excursion. Not true. The second day we left the ship on our own and took the HoHo which was cheap, efficient, and right outside the port. Regarding the re-entry to the US, it was very quick and easy. We are no longer required to fill out a declaration form. The Cuban rum (Havana Club) is outstanding and very cheap. I bought it as an after-thought at a shop in the port and it was only about $5 a bottle. I'm not a big rum drinker, but this was extremely good. I believe that we are only allowed to bring in one bottle per person, so I asked the customs agent what the duty is per bottle over the one limit. He said that we could bring in several bottles and nobody would care as long as it was for personal consumption. Same with cigars. I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of his comments, but it seems reasonable to me. We plan to return next year and I will definitely be bringing 5 or 6 bottles.

5 hours ago, DavidA23 said:

Regarding the re-entry to the US, it was very quick and easy. We are no longer required to fill out a declaration form. The Cuban rum (Havana Club) is outstanding and very cheap. I bought it as an after-thought at a shop in the port and it was only about $5 a bottle. I'm not a big rum drinker, but this was extremely good. I believe that we are only allowed to bring in one bottle per person, so I asked the customs agent what the duty is per bottle over the one limit. He said that we could bring in several bottles and nobody would care as long as it was for personal consumption. Same with cigars. I make no guarantees as to the accuracy of his comments, but it seems reasonable to me. We plan to return next year and I will definitely be bringing 5 or 6 bottles.

Thanks!!! I looked up U.S. Customs and Border Protection and looks like as of October 17, 2016 there is no longer a limit on how much rum or cigar to bring back from Cuba.  See my post here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2597050-good-rum-to-bring-back-from-cuba/

Laurence