Macha vs blue Kay

jfhtn

reading reviews on all the beach clubs. Blue Kay says no sawgrass but from some comments and reviews all the beach clubs have the problem. Is there a location that would not have the problem? We will be there in January and are trying to decide what to do. Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to Blue Kay several times and LOVE it. The water is crystal clear from the beach and pretty shallow for quite a while. Great view of the ships. Awesome snorkeling there, I bring my own equipment so don't know if they rent. There are a couple of areas that you swim over some sea grass, but nothing like other areas where that's all you see. Last trip I saw a massive sting ray and the trip before I found a flounder and loved watching it swim around and totally blend in with the sea floor.

On 10/8/2018 at 5:27 PM, jfhtn said:

reading reviews on all the beach clubs. Blue Kay says no sawgrass but from some comments and reviews all the beach clubs have the problem. Is there a location that would not have the problem? We will be there in January and are trying to decide what to do. Thanks in advance

Seagrass is common at most of the beaches in the area most of the time. 

The big problem this year has been sargassum, which comes and goes but has been particularly bad at most of the beaches again in the Costa Maya area since February. 

No saying at this time whether it will be bad by January.

26 minutes ago, katke said:

I've been to Blue Kay several times and LOVE it. The water is crystal clear from the beach and pretty shallow for quite a while. Great view of the ships. Awesome snorkeling there, I bring my own equipment so don't know if they rent. There are a couple of areas that you swim over some sea grass, but nothing like other areas where that's all you see. Last trip I saw a massive sting ray and the trip before I found a flounder and loved watching it swim around and totally blend in with the sea floor.

Have you been recently and can you give an up to date review of their current pricing policy?

Thanks for your reply. We were there in February and just did PAYG. We were thinking of going for longer in December and dont want to hassle with the varying charges like $15pp for lounger and couple of drinks that has been reported. Would rather go elsewhere if it is going to require a negotiation, just want to PAYG, or at least see a set-out up front charge. 

Not into places that charge what they can get away with, too many other choices in Costa Maya.

Edited by c-leg5

8 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Thanks for your reply. We were there in February and just did PAYG. We were thinking of going for longer in December and dont want to hassle with the varying charges like $15pp for lounger and couple of drinks that has been reported. Would rather go elsewhere if it is going to require a negotiation, just want to PAYG, or at least see a set-out up front charge. 

Not into places that charge what they can get away with, too many other choices in Costa Maya.

c-leg5...Just contact Tropicante and go there. it's PAYGO, reasonable prices for good food, drink and service.  No charge for loungers.  Granted in the middle of the malecon, but in Mahahual the choice is essentially, good water/quieter beach (Blue Kay, Maya Chan, Almaplena) or lower price with sand and service (Tropicante, Krazy Lobster, Pez Quadro, Pitaya).

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

c-leg5...Just contact Tropicante and go there. it's PAYGO, reasonable prices for good food, drink and service.  No charge for loungers.  Granted in the middle of the malecon, but in Mahahual the choice is essentially, good water/quieter beach (Blue Kay, Maya Chan, Almaplena) or lower price with sand and service (Tropicante, Krazy Lobster, Pez Quadro, Pitaya).

Thanks Crew for your insight and suggestions!

We liked the location of Blue Kay but ongoing reports of different charges for day visitors irritates me. If there was a laid- out charge on their website, or at their entrance, i wouldn’t mind so much and could choose to take it, or leave it, as but it appears to change from day to day, from server to server ending up with some people paying and some not.

Actual recent reviews, from the last couple of months, seem to have gone very quiet. Also i have been unable to access their old website (which in itself was always confusing, but at least existed) and the only website I am finding concentrates on the lodging aspect of their business. Also I have been unable to find out who took over the location next door which supposedly rented some of the Blue Kay beachfront.

Last time we were in Mahahual we walked the length of the Malecon, following your old list of beach clubs. We have three upcoming visits planned to Costa Maya so I am sure we will try Tropicante at least once, since it seems highly recommended on this board, but the noise and overcrowding in the middle of the malecon are not generally what we are looking for. Maybe, once inside their bounderies, it will feel different.

Edited by c-leg5