Avalon Waterways Danube River Cruises now

suspaul

Hi,

just curious how river cruises are progressing on European rivers, especially the Danube.  We have a holiday markets cruise in 7 weeks and yes, I know things can change in the matter of hours regarding water levels so just asking  what’s going on now.  I’ve read so many recent posts regarding Viking having lots of issues, and I do know their ships and draft are different but please, tell me your recent experiences between Prague and Budapest.  We’ll be on the Illumination, really looking forward to it.  Have any cruises on the Danube been cancelled or revised prior to cruisers leaving home?

thanks in advance for sharing any info.

Hi just had our Avalon cruise due to start from Bucharest on 24th October cancelled with one week notice. Low water. Full refund but no compensation. I think it is really because our ship the Passion is caught the wrong side of Budapest. Strangely they have listed it to start a cruise the same day from Budapest to Prague! We were originally on Illumination but I think it was needed in low water areas due to draft concerns.

We were supposed to be in Bucharest now!  Our cruise was cancelled at 5 pm on Thursday, when we were to fly out on Sunday.  Full refund, plus a future cruise credit.

Our original booking was on the Passion, but we were notified of a change to the Illumination about a month ago.

At least it was cancelled before we got there...  Although disappointed, would sooner have a cancellation than a bus trip.  

Fran

tom60w and franski, thanks for your posts, I’m so sorry for the havoc and cancellations/changes on your river cruises.  Like I said, I know it’s early, we don’t leave the US until 12.3.2018 but we booked our own air so we’re looking at cancellable alternatives in the event Avalon does cancel.

This has affected so many and I realize we’re not alone.

Safe travels to all.

1. We are supposed to leave on Avalon’s Panorama on Wednesday next week from Budapest to Prague. Our travel agent informed us yesterday that we wouldn’t be boarding in Budapest, but staying overnight for 2 nights in a hotel TBA. We will then be bussed to Vienna to board a ship(don’t know if it will be the Panorama), missing Bratslova altogether. This is my first ever river cruise, trying to keep an open mind.

SuzieQK,  I hope you enjoy your river cruise despite the change in schedule.  

I'm curious, was there any mention of your cancelling and getting a refund?  Only reason I ask is we did our own air so that wouldn’t be refunded however I’m in the process of making alternative plans, all cancellable, should things not change in the next 6 weeks regarding water levels.  

Will continue hoping for rain and that you have an amazing time.

46 minutes ago, suspaul said:

SuzieQK,  I hope you enjoy your river cruise despite the change in schedule.  

I'm curious, was there any mention of your cancelling and getting a refund?  Only reason I ask is we did our own air so that wouldn’t be refunded however I’m in the process of making alternative plans, all cancellable, should things not change in the next 6 weeks regarding water levels.  

Will continue hoping for rain and that you have an amazing time.

No mention of cancellation, there will be a refund for the 2 night hotel stay at 50% per day of the cruise only price including cabin upgrade. We are to get our refunds 2-3 weeks after the end of our cruise. Don’t know how Avalon will be handling our meal situation, a few people said that Avalon takes good care of their clients when these things happen. It will definitely be an andventure!

Hi SuzieQK, as you can see above our Avalon cruise from Bucharest to Budapest due to leave next Wednesday has been cancelled. I think our ship, the Passion has been allocated to your cruise as it is stuck the Prague side of Budapest near Regensburg. From the other posts it would appear you will be bussed from Budapest to meet the ship wherever it can get to. I am sure Avalon will look after you well.

• 2 weeks later...

We 'completed' the Magnificent Europe cruise - Budapest to Amsterdam - on Avalon Passion October 5. 'Just barely made it through the Danube and Main but got stopped at Rudesheim due to low water levels. We then had a long bus ride to Amsterdam with a stop at Cologne and were then put into the Hilton Doubletree hotel in central Amsterdam for 2 nights. Breakfasts & dinners and all excursions were provided as planned plus 50% refund on cruise fare plus cabin upgrades for the 2 nights not on board the ship (the refund was credited to my credit card in less than 10 days). Avalon did indeed go out of its way to try to make up for the loss of the final portion of the cruise. But the fact remains, we missed sailing through the nicest part of Rhine and into Amsterdam harbour, and the closeness & camaraderie of our cruise group kind of fell apart once it became a bus/hotel tour.

• Like 1