NextCruise from 2013..Can't remember the rules

emen822

I have an open booking confirmation (f/k/a Next Cruise) from 2013.  I put $100 down and the booking was left open.  Now I can't remember does that $100 go towards the deposit and I also get some obc with it?  They changed the rules so many times and I actually forgot about this one and hope to put it to good use before I lose it again.  :classic_biggrin:

Can anyone help me out with the old rules?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

8 minutes ago, emen822 said:

I have an open booking confirmation (f/k/a Next Cruise) from 2013.  I put $100 down and the booking was left open.  Now I can't remember does that $100 go towards the deposit and I also get some obc with it?  They changed the rules so many times and I actually forgot about this one and hope to put it to good use before I lose it again.  :classic_biggrin:

Can anyone help me out with the old rules?

Thanks in advance.

Mary

Correct, the $100 goes towards the deposit and you also get $100 OBC for a 7-night cruise.

For those old open bookings, the amount of OBC varies depending on the length of the cruise: $25 for 3-5 nights; $100 for 6-9 nights; $150 for 10-14 nights; and $200 for 15+ nights.

Be aware that you may have to fight for the correct amount of OBC. The amounts were lowered early in 2014, so not everyone knows about the higher amounts applicable to the older bookings and I don't think the system automatically recognises them. We cashed one of these bookings in for our cruise next month and were only given $25, even though I specifically pointed out when booking that we were entitled to the higher amount. I had to reach out to C&A to get the rest added on, which they did with no fuss.

Side note, if you used a travel agent the next cruise is with that travel agent. You will need to contact the TA if you decide to use someone else. It can takes a few days to transfer back to RCL and then a new TA. 

Last year I tried to use an old open Next Cruise that my parents transferred to me. They purchased it in 2012 while on board a Celebrity cruise but it is for Royal Caribbean (states as much on the certificate).

The agent was unable to get Royal to apply it to my booking as they argued it was for Celebrity so she asked me to call RCI. After finally getting Royal to agree that it was for a Royal cruise (which took two phone calls and lots of time on hold), it came with no OBC and strangely Royal was not going to take it in lieu of a deposit. In fact, there is print on the certificate that says "Payment Deposit of $100 per person is due at time of booking and is non-refundable."

In the end I didn't use it.... why would it? There was nothing but a $100 loss since the Royal agent was unable to articulate to me what the benefit would be or how the $100 invested was coming back my way. Further, in order to apply it, I had to transfer my booking to them and their fare was significantly higher than my TA that I finally said to forget it altogether.

I transferred it back to my parents and after a frustrating phone call between my father and Royal they purposefully let it lapse. 

Hope your outcome is much more positive than mine! 

On 10/19/2018 at 5:01 PM, JillK said:

Last year I tried to use an old open Next Cruise that my parents transferred to me. They purchased it in 2012 while on board a Celebrity cruise but it is for Royal Caribbean (states as much on the certificate).

The agent was unable to get Royal to apply it to my booking as they argued it was for Celebrity so she asked me to call RCI. After finally getting Royal to agree that it was for a Royal cruise (which took two phone calls and lots of time on hold), it came with no OBC and strangely Royal was not going to take it in lieu of a deposit. In fact, there is print on the certificate that says "Payment Deposit of $100 per person is due at time of booking and is non-refundable."

In the end I didn't use it.... why would it? There was nothing but a $100 loss since the Royal agent was unable to articulate to me what the benefit would be or how the $100 invested was coming back my way. Further, in order to apply it, I had to transfer my booking to them and their fare was significantly higher than my TA that I finally said to forget it altogether.

I transferred it back to my parents and after a frustrating phone call between my father and Royal they purposefully let it lapse. 

Hope your outcome is much more positive than mine! 

wow, how frustrating. 

I called on Tuesday and was on the phone for about 45 minutes.  At first she couldn't find the reservation number; then when she finally did, she told me it was too old to use and not valid.  So I explained that it was still valid and could she possibly ask someone which she did and she was able to apply it.  Then once she applied it and added all our crown and anchor numbers, the price went up.  Back on hold I went. :classic_biggrin: Then she said there was no OBC attached to it.  I think I was on hold more than I was on the phone speaking :classic_huh:.  In any event, I was able to get $25 obc added for a weekend cruise next month.  I am glad I was able to use it to get the $100 off the balance since it was all due at time of booking as well as some obc.   I still have one more to use from 2013 so hopefully that one goes smoothly. :classic_rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, emen822 said:

wow, how frustrating. 

I called on Tuesday and was on the phone for about 45 minutes.  At first she couldn't find the reservation number; then when she finally did, she told me it was too old to use and not valid.  So I explained that it was still valid and could she possibly ask someone which she did and she was able to apply it.  Then once she applied it and added all our crown and anchor numbers, the price went up.  Back on hold I went. :classic_biggrin: Then she said there was no OBC attached to it.  I think I was on hold more than I was on the phone speaking :classic_huh:.  In any event, I was able to get $25 obc added for a weekend cruise next month.  I am glad I was able to use it to get the $100 off the balance since it was all due at time of booking as well as some obc.   I still have one more to use from 2013 so hopefully that one goes smoothly. :classic_rolleyes:

So glad to learn that you were able to use it successfully. Enjoy your cruise and good luck applying the next one. 

• Thanks 1