When is early too early???

sunflower1972

OK.....crazy question but on many posts I've seen comments about flights home on the last day. Many posters have said that Princess recommends not booking that return flight till after noon. So the other day I'm talking to friends who did there air with Princess. There flight leaves FLL at 10:25 AM. Does this not seem early? Why would Princess recommend noon then book someone air this early?

Any experienced cruisers care to comment?

SF

Our last cruise was in sept/05, and we returned on a thursday into Ft. Lauderdale, and was one of the first off the ship. (RC Empress) We had a 10:40 AM flight, and we were at the airport by 9:15AM. As long as everything goes smooth, they will make it with no problems!

OK.....crazy question but on many posts I've seen comments about flights home on the last day. Many posters have said that Princess recommends not booking that return flight till after noon. So the other day I'm talking to friends who did there air with Princess. There flight leaves FLL at 10:25 AM. Does this not seem early? Why would Princess recommend noon then book someone air this early?

Any experienced cruisers care to comment?

SF

It may possibly be the only flight with availability to get them home in any reasonable amount of time - where are they flying to? I know on my cruise last January RCI booked me with a flight leaving before the recommended time because it was the only flight with seats left.

I think you should be careful. We were delayed at Fort Lauderdale in July and didn't return to the port until well after 10am, and then weren't able to get off the ship until around noon or so. It was due to a hurricane, however there are other things that can cause delays as well.

It depends a lot on the port. All things being equal, it would be easier to catch an earlier flight from San Diego than from Los Angeles. But if the ship is late for some reason, all bets are off. We were 6 hours late getting back to San Diego last fall, so even people with afternoon flights missed them.

I don't see it as a problem per se. If Princess is the one responsible for the air travel, it will be up to them to get another flight if the initial one is missed. On the other hand, if your friends had made their own flight arrangements, then it would be a different story altogether.

Archived