Trip report Majesty of the Seas with Havana

It doesn't seem that anyone posts trip reports anymore and I always love to read them, so here I go.  We took a 5 night cruise from Tampa on Majesty going to Key West, Havana, and Cozumel.  It was me and my hubby plus his cousin and her hubby (we are ages 39-60).  The trip was just amazing.

Boarding in Tampa was very quick and efficient.  They were practically waiting on people to check in at about 1:30 (plenty of staff ready to go and several people just directing everyone to the correct places).  We explored the ship for a while (we had been on Sovereign years ago and this ship was similar) and then we had the muster drill.  Finally we were able to put on swim suits and get some sail away drinks!  They do buckets of beer (which is buy 4 get one free).  Sailing under the Skyway Bridge was very cool.   

Key West... We booked the hop on\hop off trolley tour through the cruise ship ($29 each) which meant we got our tour stickers on the ship and immediately got on the tour from the Outer Mole port (instead of having to go into town on a tram and then getting on the tour).  We hopped off around stop 5 and wandered around town a bit then got back on at stop 3 and took it all the way around the island (we wanted to do this for our future reference so if we come back and stay at a hotel we wanted an overview of where things were) to the Southernmost point.  Hopped off and got our obligatory photos and then got back on.  Continued to the end of the line (Mallory Square) and just wandered around town more.  It was Fantasy Fest so it was quite an eye-full.  Beers weren't really cheap at the various places we got them but prices were to be expected ($4-$6 each). Time certainly seemed to fly by, and we even had an extra hour in port.  Getting the tram back to the outer mole was not a problem at all, but then we also did not wait until the last minute either.

Havana... Amazing.  This was the main focus and reason to choose this ship\itinerary.  All I can say is GO!  And NOW!  We booked Blexie Tours so we met at the fountain in Plaza Francisco (right across from the terminal) at 9 am.  We had gotten in line to exit the ship at about 7:50 (we got room service breakfast to make it easier) and we were at the fountain by 8:30.  A lot of tours were exiting around the same time.  There was a long line through immigration but the staff kept everyone moving and put everyone where they need to be.  The Cuban staff at the terminal seemed extremely sour and unwelcoming.  After the x ray, you could exchange money and then away you went out to Cuba.  The cruise had a Q & A on the whole process the day before which I highly recommend attending.  We exchanged $180.  $65 was for our half of the Blexie tour and the rest was for lunch, tips and souvenirs.  We should have exchanged $200 or more.  You can always exchange it back before you get back on the ship so I definitely suggest exchanging more than you think you need up front.  We budgeted $40 for lunch but it was $58 (including tip) because the hubby was "up-sold" on a special that we did not realize was $30.  Mine was $15.  Still pricey but what we expected.  We gave out probably $10 worth of tips to musicians and people that pose for photos.  We got two Romeo & Juliet cigars at $7 each and a keychain that will be a Christmas ornament for $8 at the terminal when coming back in.  There was no wait getting back on the ship other than just the line to scan everyone's SetSail cards.  The City was old, relatively clean, friendly, and what I expected but also not at the same time.  There were small parks sprinkled through town which was nice to see rather than a concrete jungle (like NOLA).  There is no driving on most of the downtown streets so there is plenty of room for all the tours and people walking around.  Down every street corridor its the same view, old run down concrete buildings just one after another.  A few were being renovated but it will take a very long time for a lot of progress to be made.  People have gift shops in their porch or front room areas and sell items they make.  I got a cross-body purse for $5 in one.  Hubby got a rosary bracelet at the Church for about $5.  Our tour guide was excellent and I highly recommend Blexie.  The cost is at least half what the cruise ships charge, and it was just the four of us instead of a huge group.  Our car was air conditioned too (red 1955 Chevy Belair).  We saw lots of others in convertibles, which look cool but after about an hour baking in the sun most people did not seem very happy to be in one.  There was no toilet seat in either bathroom I went in (at the Hemingway Hotel and at the restaurant).  I had to tip for t.p.  at the hotel and the attendant had to flush using a water bucket.  This was at the nice hotel.

Cozumel... We booked the semi-sub reef explorer through the ship ($49 each), mainly so that one of us could really see a reef without having to snorkel.  It was an hour and half tour which met at the end of the pier.  We got into port early so we had time to shop a little and have some beer before going (I suggest Tecate Light - its like Bud Light).  The sub is well lit and air conditioned.  The guide was knowledgeable but did not talk too much.  It was well worth the money because the reef was beautiful (Paradise Reef and Paradise Shalllows).  There was tons of fish and coral to see.  After that we took a taxi to Money Bar ($12 for 4 people and it took maybe 5 minutes) and arrived around 4 pm.  Snorkeling was amazing along the marked line.  Beer and food was cheap.  Happy hour was 5-7 pm and beer was 2 for 1.  There was a band at 6 pm which was about when the sun went down.  We had 10 beers total, 2 orders of quesadillas, chicken wings, guacamole and soda and the bill was $58 (American).  They have showers and air conditioned bathrooms.  The staff called us a taxi which was there in just a few minutes (this was at like 8 pm).  I could have stayed there for several more hours (more snorkeling, more beer and some dancing would have been nice).  The cruise line let us check out towels on the pier which was very convenient.

Hubby had the basic soda package ($50 total) so he had a refillable cup.  It would have been nice if there were more than two freestyle machines for filling (level 4 at the coffee shop and level 12 near the pizza place).  It always takes forever to get it filled in the dining room so its better to go in with it filled already.  We brought on a 6 pack of water and 2 bottles of wine (they were in our checked bags).  The wine really helped keep the bar tab down.  We filled an empty water bottle with the wine and re-filled our glasses while out on deck.  Water bottles are like $3 on board.  I mostly used my water for overnight drinking and morning.  We were on the 2nd level so any dining options for drinks were quite far away (and I drink a lot).

We also had the VOOM surf package for one of us just so that we could keep in contact with our dog sitter (we have elderly dogs).  It was pricey ($50 total) but worth it for the peace of mind.  Just turn on airplane mode, Wi-fi calling on, and log in to the Wi-fi with the code that they give you (its in your room when you get there).  Everyone else not using it should switch to airplane mode so you don't connect to the ship tower).  Texting was not completely reliable, but the internet worked great (Facebook and Messenger).  Of course you will have normal cell service in Key West and even Cozumel.  Havana was going to be a large per minute\gig fee so we left it on airplane mode there.

Dining was fine in the dining room but the Windjammer had cold food each time we went.  Entertainment was good except the musicians could have been better.  When the DJ is 10 times better than the band, perhaps they should re-evaluate.  Cruise director Patricio was excellent.

Oceanview room on 2nd level was tiny (I swear they get smaller on each cruise we take) and the shower was very small (Golden Princess was worse) but it was adequate.  You definitely need to do things one person at a time (one hanging out on the bed while the other is getting dressed, etc) and then switch.  Steward William was excellent and we saw him many times in case something was needed.  He always kept ice in my beer bucket for my wine and water.  Also he brought better pillows and added a blanket under the sheet because the mattress was pretty hard.

Since we were traveling with another couple in another room, we should have brought our walkie talkies.  We managed by slipping notes under the door.  

Disembarking went quickly.  It was maybe 15 minutes from lining up to get off, exiting, walking down the gangway, collecting our bags, jetting through customs (oral declaration and they didn't ask or check anything other than our passports), and out to the pick up line.  The staff have it all very organized with plenty of people directing guests on where to go and what to do.  We were ready for pick up at 9 am.

Overall it was an awesome trip and I would do it again in a second.

• Like 3

Cozumel photos.  The blue one is from the submarine.  It looked better than this photo appears due to the glass.  The other two underwater ones are from the Money Bar.  Also a photo of the steps at Money Bar.  The water was pretty calm that day but you had to be careful getting in and out when a boat had gone by.  Wear aqua socks if you aren't snorkeling with fins.

20181027_163635A.jpg

DSCN1051.JPG

DSCN1065.JPG

DSCN1088.JPG

Havana.  Buildings in old downtown.  Example of a shop at someone's house.  The guys working on the building...  the one in the middle is painting with what looked like a broom..  the one on top was tied off with a rope and simple knot and he was eye balling the edge of the building like "yeah, not sure I want to do this".

Havana Cuba-8.jpg

Havana Cuba-56.jpg

Havana Cuba-63.jpg

Havana Cuba-85.jpg

• Like 1

Havana.  Vieja Fantastico statue in Plaza Vieje (nude woman riding a rooster wearing heels with a large fork - I loved it!).  Small parks in old downtown.  Fusterland (photos are actually of neighboring properties that allowed Mr. Fuster to work on their homes too).

Havana Cuba-74.jpg

Havana Cuba-106.jpg

Havana Cuba-189.jpg

Havana Cuba-322.jpg

Havana Cuba-338.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for your great review. We are on the Majesty Thanksgiving week out of Ft Lauderdale. We have ports in Key West and an overnight in Havana. I booked Blexie too, we will have a guide named Mary.  Did you just do the standard tour or did you add any other stops?  Appreciate the advice on exchanging money as well. Where did you eat lunch?

• 4 months later...

Great Review....yes i love trip reports also.  I even like the details of what people and drink and all assorted detail.   I am going on this cruise on April 8th...I will try to do a trip report!