Roatan with Kids

LuCruise

Any recommendations of what to do in Roatan with kids?  Any good beaches?  I was looking at the chocolate excursion but not sure if that's kid-friendly (and its also a bit pricey when you add for 4).  Our kids are 13 and 9 years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OCruisers said:

Seems you'll be on a RCCL ship so will be in Coxen Hole.  To get to a beach you'll need to take a taxi or book an excursion.

Enjoy your port stop there!  :classic_cool:

Correct....Royal....Roatan is on our Symphony cruise in March.

Any specific beach recommended for kids?  Or are they all similar?

We booked a private tour with Rostand trips and Tours. They will take us touring, snorkeling, and to the sloth/monkey place plus anywhere else we decide to check out. My kids are 10 and 13, and the price was reasonable. We go in February. 

We've arranged for a private tour with Cleve:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g292019-d9454297-Reviews-Cleves_Tours_and_Adventures-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

To do whatever (sloths, ziplining, mangrove boat tour, beach snorkeling, etc.).

If you're on the Ontario March Break Symphony of the Seas, I think we're on your sailing. We're also from Ontario and traveling with our son 13 and daughter 10. PM me if you like.

18 hours ago, trosebery said:

We've arranged for a private tour with Cleve:

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g292019-d9454297-Reviews-Cleves_Tours_and_Adventures-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

To do whatever (sloths, ziplining, mangrove boat tour, beach snorkeling, etc.).

If you're on the Ontario March Break Symphony of the Seas, I think we're on your sailing. We're also from Ontario and traveling with our son 13 and daughter 10. PM me if you like.

Hello...yes that is the same cruise. 🙂  Ship looks amazing doesn't it?  We have kids similar to yours...a 13 year old son (14 in April) and 9 year old daughter (10 in June).  Thanks for the link...guess I can't ask you how it is before we go...lol.  I have noticed that one in search as it comes up one of the top tours of TripAdvisor.

14 hours ago, Ousoonerprincess said:

We used Johan and he was the cheapest we found and you can customize any way you want.  www.realdealroatantours.com

This is an interesting one.  The first tour seems reasonably priced and I know our kids would enjoy the Monkey and Sloths park as well as the chocolate factory.  Royal has a similar all-in-one but has beach visit instead of Monkey and Sloths. Were they reliable?  And got you back in plenty of time? Never done a tour outside or Royal as we usually just taxi to a beach somewhere or do Royal excursion.

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Hello...yes that is the same cruise. 🙂  Ship looks amazing doesn't it?  We have kids similar to yours...a 13 year old son (14 in April) and 9 year old daughter (10 in June).  Thanks for the link...guess I can't ask you how it is before we go...lol.  I have noticed that one in search as it comes up one of the top tours of TripAdvisor.

Oh, I just meant to PM me to chat if you thought it might be fun to share since apparently his van can accommodate another family of 4. But if you want to do your own thing, there seem to be a lot of reputable vendors (Victor Bodden's, Romy's, etc.) and I've not yet had a problem with an independently-arranged excursion myself (knock on wood) thanks to recommendations from here and TripAdvisor. (Me, I get panicked over the prospect of trying to find/negotiate with a taxi. I'm an over-planner.)

And yes, the ship looks . . . huge. We've been on large ships before (like the Regal Princess or the Celebrity Reflection), but never one like this!

2 hours ago, trosebery said:

Oh, I just meant to PM me to chat if you thought it might be fun to share since apparently his van can accommodate another family of 4. But if you want to do your own thing, there seem to be a lot of reputable vendors (Victor Bodden's, Romy's, etc.) and I've not yet had a problem with an independently-arranged excursion myself (knock on wood) thanks to recommendations from here and TripAdvisor. (Me, I get panicked over the prospect of trying to find/negotiate with a taxi. I'm an over-planner.)

And yes, the ship looks . . . huge. We've been on large ships before (like the Regal Princess or the Celebrity Reflection), but never one like this!

I tried to PM you but got message "You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day.  Please try again". Gotta love the new cruise critic...lol.

Dh and I looked at reviews of Cleves tour and it does get very good reviews.  Can I ask what it costs and how long?  And if the tour is customizable, what kinds of things is your family interested in?

9 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I tried to PM you but got message "You are only allowed to send 0 messages per day.  Please try again". Gotta love the new cruise critic...lol.

Dh and I looked at reviews of Cleves tour and it does get very good reviews.  Can I ask what it costs and how long?  And if the tour is customizable, what kinds of things is your family interested in?

LOL, gotta love the new Cruise Critic. Whenever I bring up the site these days, it tells me I do not have permission to view this page. I wait a few seconds, it realizes who I am, and then opens up the page and starts pinging me notifications.

Anyway, I am tararosebery at yahoo dot ca if you're looking for me. This is the info I have. The tour is a la carte and flexible and covers the day. We're up for pretty much anything (although we have a snorkeling boat tour booked in Cozumel and probably don't need to go out again, although if I know my husband and son, they'd be up for snorkeling off the beach on a beach stop). Our top priority, considering my animal-freak daughter, is probably sloths and monkeys. I'm curious about mangrove tunnels. (And of course we will have to stop for chocolate tasting at some point. We are devoted chocoholics.)

Anyways, no pressure. We're going anyway. We're just willing to adventure with some like-minded people if you think that'd be fun.

CLEVE'S TOURS & ADVENTURES!
We will be Your family for the day!  
The cost for a culture Island tour is $50.00 per/adult and $30.00per/child and opening for any additional activities you all may like to do, like zip lining (17 cables & 3 suspension bridges very cool)$45.00 per person, monkeys, sloth & birds sanctuary( you get to hold and interact with them)$10.00 per person, iguana farm $10.00per person, snorkeling by boat (they take you out to the reef, with all your equipments included very pretty)$20.00 per person, and they also have a tour in a wooden mahogany canoe dug out, where you get to see Little Venice and go through the hide away mangrove tunnels where the Indians use to hide from the Pirates many many years ago when they only had Indians on the island very unique and impressive it's the highlight of the island 🌴 it's $15.00 per adult and $10.00 per child.

We as native family tour guides speak  English and Spanish, will be with you all day, can stop for shopping along the way, share the Islands history and culture and take you to places the buses cannot go. 
Why not get off the beaten path and take the road and villages less travelled. You’ll will love it 😊...
We Rents a 14 seater van so we can fit Comfortably, 
Our TRANSITION vehicles are CLEAN, COMFORTABLE & have A/C. They are in excellent shape and suitable for ROATAN EXCURSIONS, 😀👍

We traditionally have a lot of FUN with you, LOVE meeting you’ll , answering your questions, taking photos for you and sharing our ISLAND CULTURE & HISTORY with YOU.

Exact same thing happens to me all the time when viewing posts from my phone.  Good to hear it's not just me. 🙂

Thanks so much for the info.  Any idea how long the tour is?  Seems like our interests are similar...our kids would like the monkeys and sloths and we're definitely chocoholics too!  We're not into snorkeling but sounds like you already have that covered in Cozumel.  We're looking at it and will let you know.  Thanks again.

Edited by LuCruise

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Exact same thing happens to me all the time when viewing posts from my phone.  Good to hear it's not just me. 🙂

Thanks so much for the info.  Any idea how long the tour is?  Seems like our interests are similar...our kids would like the monkeys and sloths and we're definitely chocoholics too!  We're not into snorkeling but sounds like you already have that covered in Cozumel.  We're looking at it and will let you know.  Thanks again.

I don't believe there's a time limit on the tour? I believe it's for the day. We haven't confirmed all details yet.

Sorry for the delay in responding. Per Johans correspondence regarding tours, the meet time is always based on ship arrival time anf at latest will drop you back off to the ship 2 hrs before ship departure.  We really loved the fact there is at most 1 other couple with you and you can completely customize your your as you want for cheaper than other tours.

Edited by Ousoonerprincess

trosebery, thanks.  Got it...guess it depends how you customize, and you know they will watch the ship departure time.  We're considering this and will let you know.  Do you know if our 13 year olds would be charged as a child or an adult?

11 hours ago, Ousoonerprincess said:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Per Johans correspondence regarding tours, the meet time is always based on ship arrival time anf at latest will drop you back off to the ship 2 hrs before ship departure.  We really loved the fact there is at most 1 other couple with you and you can completely customize your your as you want for cheaper than other tours.

The Real Deal tour seems pretty good too.  Which tour did you do?  The first one hits a couple of the main things we're interested in like sloths park and chocolate factory.  Just read your review in the other thread and sounds like you were really happy with them.

Edited by LuCruise

4 hours ago, LuCruise said:

trosebery, thanks.  Got it...guess it depends how you customize, and you know they will watch the ship departure time.  We're considering this and will let you know.  Do you know if our 13 year olds would be charged as a child or an adult?

The Real Deal tour seems pretty good too.  Which tour did you do?  The first one hits a couple of the main things we're interested in like sloths park and chocolate factory.  Just read your review in the other thread and sounds like you were really happy with them.

I asked and Cleve's tour is about 7 hours (I'm assuming 9-4, back to the ship with plenty of time), and the 13 year olds would be charged as children.

And yes, the Real Deal tour sounds like a great option too! It probably just comes down to if you want to go around with us (which could be great if we and the kids are compatible -- email and I can let you know more about us?) or customize your own day.

I'm kinda excited for our trip right now. It's snowing out my window.

8 hours ago, trosebery said:

I asked and Cleve's tour is about 7 hours (I'm assuming 9-4, back to the ship with plenty of time), and the 13 year olds would be charged as children.

And yes, the Real Deal tour sounds like a great option too! It probably just comes down to if you want to go around with us (which could be great if we and the kids are compatible -- email and I can let you know more about us?) or customize your own day.

I'm kinda excited for our trip right now. It's snowing out my window.

Hi there.  I just sent you an email.