Specialty Dining and food favorites ?

kaykels

We chose Cagneys’s, Moderno and Teppanyaki for our 3 meals on our Gem Cruise Sept/Oct 2018.

Teppanyaki was our least favorite and would only recommend if you’ve never had this type of hibachi-grill experience OR if you are with enough people to fill a table (8) as the fun would outweigh the food.. Food was just okay, grill chefs all did same routine - ours told us they volunteer and if accepted go to 60-90 days training class (that seemed a bit long). Anyway we won’t choose this again.

Moderno - Very good buffet for apps - don’t fill up as you need room for the meats. Make sure you get WARM cheese rolls - they’re the best! Meats were good, although I had to ask for them to be hot as first couple servings were room temp or lukewarm (certainly below normal serving temps). Sides were just okay, mainly served as fillers to keep you busy between meat courses😋 Very good overall. No complaints other than food temps. Not quite on same level as Fogo de Chao or Texas de Brazil,  but if you don’t have those nearby this is a good substitute (disclaimer - we live near 2 large cities and eat out often).

Cagneys -Very good experience with service and food. Shrimp cocktail was a bit lacking with watery shrimp, but everything else good and steak temps on point.  We had filet and porterhouse. Not to sound like food snobs, I don’t think they were the best prime cuts but I also don’t think they stated they were. And the meal was still less than just the steak at Ruth’s Chris or Capital Grill (my fave chain steakhouses). If you like steak, I’d recommend this.

On out next cruise, which happens to be Jade in February, we’ve reserved Cagneys, Moderno & La Cucina as several people were raving about a steak dish there. 

Edited by ColdCruise
Typos

11 hours ago, lamchops said:

On our buffet seafood night on the Jade in September, they served roasted chicken. The selection of seafood was so poor we only knew it was seafood night because the sign said so. No shellfish to be found anywhere or the usual salmon Wellington missing from the carvery. Seafood night has become see food night.:classic_angry:

Wow, you got robbed.  On the Breakaway in October, in addition to the chilled shrimp and mussels, there was a long row of available seafood.