Online Notifications Abruptly Ended

Hi, 

i am suddenly not getting notifications here on the site of posts for threads that I am following (including the roll calls). It started several days ago - I changed nothing on my settings, but checked them to be on the safe side and they say “immediate notification” as always. It is rather important since checking various threads “just in case” would make my use of the boards too difficult to bother 😐 Any help would be appreciated.

What are you working on  pc  phone ipad   which browser

There is recent thread here

If you have not perhaps read through that and the first sticky on this site

and see if anthing helps the come back & tell us.

10 hours ago, Aulanis said:

What are you working on  pc  phone ipad   which browser

There is recent thread here

If you have not perhaps read through that and the first sticky on this site

and see if anthing helps the come back & tell us.

Usually on an iPad, but it was never a problem and wasn’t until very, very recently (occasionally I get a notice, but usually I do not over the last days - and did not get one for your direct reply. The first sticky on this area did not help (as noted in my post, I did check the settings). I have emailed CC on various issues over time and never  had a response, so I have not tried that as yet. But this seems to be an issue with programming and I was hopeful posting here would mean there could perhaps be official notice, this is one forum I didn’t think it was as useful to look for old problems in the thread since I had (perhaps wrongly) believed it was partly to notify cC that there were issues (and how wide spread). I will go check the other posts, thank you. CC is not useful to me without notices, no time for checking through the entire site just in case...

Edited by 2Beeze

8 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

CC is not useful to me without notices, no time for checking through the entire site just in case...

You don't need to do that. All you need to do is to follow the threads that you're interested in (which, by definition you're already doing if you're expecting email notifications), come to CC and look in the appropriate Activity Stream. The default stream called "Content I Follow" will do the job if you don't want to set up your own custom settings.

In that Activity Stream, any thread followed by you that has unread posts will show up in bold. You just need to click on the blue dot or blue star to the left of the thread title to go to the first unread post. (Don't click on the thread title, as that will take you to the start of the thread.)

And one great thing about the new software is that if you don't actually open the unread thread, you can close down your browser and leave CC for hours or even days, and when you come back the unread thread will still be marked as unread. It wasn't like that in the old software.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ Globaliser

Maybe a bit off (this) topic but I was wondering if there was ever

any sort of guide as to ALL the changes that have been made.

I was away on a 28 day cruise when the change happened

and  initially just  carried on using the site as I had done in the past.

I have tried to help, on and off, in the "help using the boards"

.for the last three years and  knew my way around the old site

fairly well.  I have been on 2 other "forum" sites neither of which

were Invision "Powered".

Over the last month I have dicovered a few things that were

no longer available but as I just continued to use what remained

from the "old" site I have not really found out what is new  or

any instruction on how to use it  Other than the few stickies

on the help board.

So getting back to your last post regarding the use of activity

streams - I didnt even know what they were or how to use them.

Yes I have seen mention in other posts but this is something

new that maybe the vast majority of users dont know about.

Forums is what I wanted to read so I go to boards.cruisecritic.com
and that is the forum. 

I am ignoring Gallery until such time as it is not forced upon us.

That leaves activity which I dont use either. I was never sure

what it was and  as I can easily see my own activity and as

I have never not got advices  ( I have even switched off the

online advices) I have had no need to use activity.
Consequently I have never seen the sub sections  that I now

see come up when I hover over the Activity heading.

Your instruction on the use of activity is great and if it doesnt

already  exist maybe you could repost it with a suitable heading 

something like:  How to find and use the Activity  Section
and get it put up with the rest of the stickies. Making the point that

it is an excellent substitue for the non receipt of advices. .

Having just checked if it does exist - it does - well sort of-   Jenns

last sticky covers some of it
BUT  the heading is a bit misleading as it implies  it is only going

to show MY activity not  ALL activity that I have  an interest in. 

So I still think there is room for more advice on

how to use activity than is there now.

What do you think?

• Like 1

@Globalizer my suggestion on that was a bit tongue in cheek 😊 but this is an issue. I have found it frustrating that too many posts about valid issues have been met with either posts analogous to “did you plug it in”. I think there are likely many intelligent and professional people here who have lived long enough lives they have learned and experienced quite a lot (and quite a number may have been like me, buying the first computer on the market, and have been at this all a while).

TO BE CLEAR - I do not mean that your posting is at all like that, just trying to explain the frustration. I think this issue may be somewhat related to changes, but I believe the is also error or “bug” since mine began suddenly without a change in settings. It is difficult to have a legit issue and to feel like no one that can potentially get a fix is listening. All that said, I so very much appreciate you offering that suggestion - people like you and Aulanis are the types of users that make this place worth returning to!!!

@Aulanis  I think that would be a great idea! As suggested above, I also think CC needs to take seriously issues from users, the perception that “no one is listening” comes through clearly on many similar posts. But in addition to listening to problems people are having (like all the 360 photos showing error), being proactive by providing clear, concise explanations of areas of change would likely make a huge difference 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Oh almost forgot - one thing I realized last night is sometimes when you post on a thread it sometimes does not auto “follow” . I noticed this on a roll call, but some do still auto follow... bug? Presumably so. If I were CC I would be thrilled users were notifying me of issues.

Thanks again 😊

Lynn

Edited by 2Beeze

So we can establish if there is a pattern regarding the notifications please can you say what you are working on = PC, Phone, ipad   and which browser

safari firefox, IE Chrome etc Also are you referrring to Email notification , on line notification  or both

On the logging out side - what are you normally logged into?

cruisecritic.com    .co.uk  .com.au      If whilst browsing between these 3 in order to reply on the one s you are not normally logged into you will have to log in again.

Edited by Aulanis