First Time Questions

wantingpj

My husband and I will be in Grand Cayman on the Carnival Dream at the end of January.  It will be our first time there.  I've been doing some research but of course I still have questions...

We aren't going to do a ship excursion and would like to just do a little window shopping/walking around being tourists and then spend some time at a beach.  We aren't drinkers and we would like a place where we aren't stepping over other people to get to the water.

From what I've read...the bus is the easiest and the least expensive way to go.  Are the buses located right outside of the port?

Or

Can we walk from the cruise port to an area that has shopping and things of that sort?  Then take the bus from that area to a beach area?

As for the beach time, I'm leaning toward the Public Beach area on 7 Mile Beach.  Is Sea Grape Beach and Public Beach the same place?  If so what will the bus driver need to be told?

I think Calico Jack's is right there...I'm hoping that if we walk away from Calico Jack's it won't be as crowded, but that if we get hungry we can head over for food.

Do the buses take US$? Can we buy food at Calico Jack's with US$? If we find some little trinkets, do most places take US$?

And one more...for now...

Is there a place to get a passport stamp near or in the cruise port?

Thanks for the help!

The cruise port is right downtown, so there are lots of stores and restaurants in the area.  Most places will take US $, and $1US is worth $0.80CI (most restaurant menus will be in CI, but some stores that cater primarily to cruise tourists may have prices in US).

The bus depot is a couple of blocks from the port, so easily within walking distance.  Just ask for directions.  Taxis will also be easily available at the port.  Buses/taxis will take US$, but have small bills since your change will likely be in CI$.

Sea Grape is now the Kimpton hotel, which is next door to Public Beach and Calico Jacks.  Just say you want to go to Public Beach (not _a_ public beach, but Public Beach, there's a difference).  There's a huge parking lot.  Public Beach is at one side of the parking lot, and Calico Jacks is on the other side.  You can see the area on Google Maps satellite view, and it'll help you visualize where you're headed.

Be aware (I wasnt our first trip and very caught off guard and nervous) that in some weather or busy port days there is an alternative tender pier on the other side of the island. Spotts I think it's called. It's really not much more than a fenced parking lot. But there would be transportation there to take you to the main areas in Georgetown. It's just not walking distance. You may not know that you will anchor on that side of the island until you wake up that morning so just have a plan 2.0 if that happens.