Preziosa Yacht Club Sunbeds

hamrag

I noticed on the you tube videos of the YC sundeck that the sunbeds do not appear to have cushions.....this has been confirmed by recent Prez cruisers......without cushions, the beds are  uncomfortable. They are identical to the sunbeds on Meraviglia, which did have very comfortable cushions which the sundeck staff placed there each day. We are sailing Preziosa soon and, as a little extra for my wife at Christmas, I purchased a GDREAMT Camping Sleeping Mat with Pillow to use on the sunbed. It looks a pretty good solution, and was purchased from Amazon in the UK at £30 each....less 40% and 50% if you buy two i.e. effectively a BOGOF.....we recommend, it weighs only half a kilo and folds into the bag provided at the size of a ladies clutchbag, does exactly as described and is easily transported.

Obviously the same solution exists outwith the YC!

Edited by hamrag

7 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I noticed on the you tube videos of the YC sundeck that the sunbeds do not appear to have cushions.....this has been confirmed by recent Prez cruisers......without cushions, the beds are  uncomfortable. They are identical to the sunbeds on Meraviglia, which did have very comfortable cushions which the sundeck staff placed there each day. We are sailing Preziosa soon and, as a little extra for my wife at Christmas, I purchased a GDREAMT Camping Sleeping Mat with Pillow to use on the sunbed. It looks a pretty good solution, and was purchased from Amazon in the UK at £30 each....less 40% and 50% if you buy two i.e. effectively a BOGOF.....we recommend, it weighs only half a kilo and folds into the bag provided at the size of a ladies clutchbag, does exactly as described and is easily transported.

Obviously the same solution exists outwith the YC!

Merry Christmas! I have to say I am absolutely astonished/disgusted/amazed that, for a premium offering like the YC, they can't go to the trouble of putting a cushion on a sun bed. Even more distressing is that guests  are having to a) pay and b) transport (an extra kg between you is one less bottle of duty free (!!)) a solution that they really should be delivering without question.

I am just back from a hotel in Tenerife (a nice hotel, but still way cheaper than the YC!) where they put mattress-thick cushions down on the beds every day, and lifted them again at night. It can't be manpower that's the problem on the ship - what gives?

I'm on Meraviglia YC in May and Preziosa YC in October - I can't believe I'll be 'spoiled' with a cushion in May and need to slum it in October. It's just bizzare (although it is MSC, so that explains it........)

The situation is the same in the Yacht Club on the Divina.  The sun beds, made of hard plastic, do not have any type of cushions.  This is not acceptable for a class of cruising that is supposed to be special.    We did submit this comment on our post cruise survey and hope that somebody at MSC sees the error of their ways.

Hank

30 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The situation is the same in the Yacht Club on the Divina.  The sun beds, made of hard plastic, do not have any type of cushions.  This is not acceptable for a class of cruising that is supposed to be special.    We did submit this comment on our post cruise survey and hope that somebody at MSC sees the error of their ways.

Hank

I'm tempted to submit the comment a few times pre-cruise too! It is pretty mind boggling.

1 hour ago, Captain-John said:

I'm tempted to submit the comment a few times pre-cruise too! It is pretty mind boggling.

Must admit that the YC does nearly everything perfectly :).  But the lack of sunbed cushions is not consistent with the quality that MSC tried to achieve.  We did have a few other issues.  At the "One" pool deck they had wonderful breakfast service with eggs made to order.  But at lunch, the chef only cooks Pastas (they rotate the sauce options on a daily basis).  Since they have the outdoor cooking center (on the Divinia) we wonder why they do not expand their cooked lunch options.  For example, the Chef could easily fry some burgers or a few other options such as grilled cheese.  While the pastas are beyond excellent it does get somewhat old on a longer cruise.  Another minor complaint is the selection of Single-Malt Scotches in the Top Sail Lounge.  The only option was Glenlivit.  It would not cost extra money for them to stock several additional brands (at comparable cost) so there is more variety.  Ironically, the same bar has a terrific assortment of vodkas including Belvedere,,,which is a personal favorite for use in some of our requested Martinis.  A senior staff member told us that single malt scotch has fallen in popularity (not in my world) and the new trend is towards Japanese whiskeys (they did not have a selection of these products).   And our third suggestion for the YC is that they add a heated chaffing pan so that some of the cold hors d'Ouevres such as pigs in a blanket and the small pizzas can be kept hot.  The Divina is the first time I ever experienced cold pigs in a blanket (a daily offering in late afternoon/evening).

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Must admit that the YC does nearly everything perfectly :).  But the lack of sunbed cushions is not consistent with the quality that MSC tried to achieve.  We did have a few other issues.  At the "One" pool deck they had wonderful breakfast service with eggs made to order.  But at lunch, the chef only cooks Pastas (they rotate the sauce options on a daily basis).  Since they have the outdoor cooking center (on the Divinia) we wonder why they do not expand their cooked lunch options.  For example, the Chef could easily fry some burgers or a few other options such as grilled cheese.  While the pastas are beyond excellent it does get somewhat old on a longer cruise.  Another minor complaint is the selection of Single-Malt Scotches in the Top Sail Lounge.  The only option was Glenlivit.  It would not cost extra money for them to stock several additional brands (at comparable cost) so there is more variety.  Ironically, the same bar has a terrific assortment of vodkas including Belvedere,,,which is a personal favorite for use in some of our requested Martinis.  A senior staff member told us that single malt scotch has fallen in popularity (not in my world) and the new trend is towards Japanese whiskeys (they did not have a selection of these products).   And our third suggestion for the YC is that they add a heated chaffing pan so that some of the cold hors d'Ouevres such as pigs in a blanket and the small pizzas can be kept hot.  The Divina is the first time I ever experienced cold pigs in a blanket (a daily offering in late afternoon/evening).

Hank

Thanks Hank.

Your post touches on some interesting stuff there which are all things on my radar. I think, previously, the outdoor grill area DID have burgers etc. on at lunch and it is a more recent change to not offer this. I'm disappointed pasta is the main offering - I find it very 'filling' and, although tasty, I only want so much of it on a given day never mind on a week or longer cruise.

Your minor complaint escalates to a major complaint in my book (I live near Edinburgh, and thoroughly enjoy the odd Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, Bowmore, Lagavulin etc. - as you say, at the same price point or less the range could be expanded). I also thought that Middle Eastern and Japanese guests (the well moneyed types MSC would hope to attract for the Royal Suites!) went crazy for single malt. Maybe fashions have changed?

13 minutes ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks Hank.

Your post touches on some interesting stuff there which are all things on my radar. I think, previously, the outdoor grill area DID have burgers etc. on at lunch and it is a more recent change to not offer this. I'm disappointed pasta is the main offering - I find it very 'filling' and, although tasty, I only want so much of it on a given day never mind on a week or longer cruise.

Your minor complaint escalates to a major complaint in my book (I live near Edinburgh, and thoroughly enjoy the odd Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, Bowmore, Lagavulin etc. - as you say, at the same price point or less the range could be expanded). I also thought that Middle Eastern and Japanese guests (the well moneyed types MSC would hope to attract for the Royal Suites!) went crazy for single malt. Maybe fashions have changed?

When you mention Glenmorangie you are speaking my language :).  Another single malt (which we would not likely find on any cruise line) we have recently enjoyed is Longmorn 16 Yr Old.  It is not a common single malt on our side of the "pond" but has many qualities I love.  Peaty scotches form Islay are not to be found on MSC :(.

Hank

17 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Thanks Hank.

.......Your minor complaint escalates to a major complaint in my book (I live near Edinburgh, and thoroughly enjoy the odd Laphroaig, Glenmorangie, Bowmore, Lagavulin etc. - as you say, at the same price point or less the range could be expanded). I also thought that Middle Eastern and Japanese guests (the well moneyed types MSC would hope to attract for the Royal Suites!) went crazy for single malt. Maybe fashions have changed?

In the Meraviglia YC there were a couple of others but, not being too interested in single malt (indeed any) whisky, cannot recall which ones. One thing I can say for sure is that if you engage with the butlers in the YC lounge e.g. regarding a favoured malt they will do what they can to oblige.

5 hours ago, hamrag said:

In the Meraviglia YC there were a couple of others but, not being too interested in single malt (indeed any) whisky, cannot recall which ones. One thing I can say for sure is that if you engage with the butlers in the YC lounge e.g. regarding a favoured malt they will do what they can to oblige.

They cannot oblige when there is no product onboard :(.  Ask for a pretty basic single malt like Glenmorangie or Glenfiddich and it is not in stock, anywhere.  This apparently was not an accident or supply issue but simply current policy about what is stocked for inventory.  I will admit that it is not too difficult to live with Glenlivit, JW Black, and Chivas and we were extremely happy with everything in the YC :).   But when trying to achieve a high level of excellence, a larger booze inventory (keeping within the normal company budget restraints) is a simple improvement.

Hank