Car Rental Worth it?

helensobol

just wondering if anyone decided to rent a car in St Thomas and do a few sightseeing stops and then head to the beach. 

Right now, I want to go and view Mountain Top and then head to Sapphire beach.   Is it worth getting car for these 2 things or should I taxi to each separately?  Are there more good spots to head to via car? 

My other option was going to Paradise Point and then just taxi to Sapphire beach.   

We rented a jeep last time we were here. It was nice but..... driving on the other side of the road can be a bit off putting and since you pay more attention than normal to driving you'll miss a lot of views and such. I don't think my hubby, who was the passenger saw anything than his white knuckles grasping the dashboard because apparently all the roads we were driving had some good cliffs which I didn't notice because I was trying to stay on my side of the road loll. Sooooo… if you're looking to really see the views while driving, grab a cab.

Plus the cost was at least $100 for the jeep, more expensive than cab fare. And they were adamant that the jeep return with absolutely no sand whatsoever or you lose your deposit.

• Like 1

When I went about a month ago there were 7 ships in town and traffic was a nightmare. Plus many of the road signs were still down from the hurricane and it was almost impossible to tell where to turn to get where you were trying to go. After getting lost a few times we returned the rental car in less than 2 hours. What a waste of money. Maybe with a good GPS you could find your way around.

Last three times I've visited St. Thomas I've rented a car through Avis for less than $80 for the day. Which if you do separate taxi trips to Mountain Top, then to Sapphire and back to the ship, it will add up. We were in port from 8am-4pm with two other ships and had no problems getting around. My take: #1 I've been there a few times already and shed my fear of driving on the "other" side of the road so this might be an issue for others that haven't tried it or are not so adventurous #2 GPS is a MUST but you don't have to rent it from the car rental company. We used Google maps the first time, and Waze the last two times and they were both excellent with the directions. #3 Roads are not in tip top shape but you don't need a Jeep to get around. If you don't have to have a Jeep, save the money and go for a compact. We always go for the cheaper and the smallest they've given us was a 2017 Toyota Corolla. YMMV... #4 You go at your own pace. We've done a drive around some scenic sites with a about 90 minute stop at Coki AND Sapphire, then a stop in town and this last time we did Mountain Top, Drake's seat, over two hours at Sapphire, at stop Downtown and were back at the ship with time to spare.

Yes driving STT is not difficult and GPS is a good idea for a novice. It does give you so much more flexibility when you want to see several area, and you can save quite a bit of $ with 2 - 4 ppl vs taxis. Driving with your shoulder to the shoulder comes pretty natural after a bit, but my first couple times I had to be more cautious when going through roundabouts and in parking lots! But just take your time, locals do tend to stop in the road to talk to others, many like you asking for directions, and goats seem to enjoy taking their good old time crossing as you round a bend...

On 1/8/2019 at 1:36 AM, Stinger-pr said:

Last three times I've visited St. Thomas I've rented a car through Avis for less than $80 for the day. Which if you do separate taxi trips to Mountain Top, then to Sapphire and back to the ship, it will add up. We were in port from 8am-4pm with two other ships and had no problems getting around. My take: #1 I've been there a few times already and shed my fear of driving on the "other" side of the road so this might be an issue for others that haven't tried it or are not so adventurous #2 GPS is a MUST but you don't have to rent it from the car rental company. We used Google maps the first time, and Waze the last two times and they were both excellent with the directions. #3 Roads are not in tip top shape but you don't need a Jeep to get around. If you don't have to have a Jeep, save the money and go for a compact. We always go for the cheaper and the smallest they've given us was a 2017 Toyota Corolla. YMMV... #4 You go at your own pace. We've done a drive around some scenic sites with a about 90 minute stop at Coki AND Sapphire, then a stop in town and this last time we did Mountain Top, Drake's seat, over two hours at Sapphire, at stop Downtown and were back at the ship with time to spare.

After lots of thought, I think the car is the way to go.    I'm not concerned about driving on the other side of the road as I have done this before on other islands.  

Would you mind sharing your itinerary of stops?  Its great to see what others do and plan accordingly. 

If we were there on a cruise stop for the first time AND we wanted to see some of the sights we would plan a busier itinerary, something like:

Mountain Top for the view of Magens and the north shore, and the $12 banana daiquiri.

Skyline Drive with a stop at the overlook, maybe Drake’s Seat for the view.

Stop by Hull Bay, having a car makes this so easy, it’s a little harder with a taxi, otherwise Sapphire Beach.

Last stop Paradise Point.

Easier itinerary -

Sapphire

Skyline Dr

PP

Since we’ve stayed on the island and have seen most of it we would just drive to Sapphire and enjoy the beach, take time to stop at Island Time Pub for pizza in Red Hook (opens at 3PM though, if there earlier the Tap & Still opens at 11 and has good burgers), then drop the car and head up to Paradise Point by taxi or tram. We would be docked at Havensight where we can walk back to the ship from the tram.

Where are you docked and what are your port times?

[EDIT] But I will say the north shore views including Magens Bay from MT and from Drake’s Seat are stunning so you should take the time to hit one of those since you will have the car. MT is nothing more than a large souvenir store with this spectacular view, although we have gotten nice beach bags there we didn’t see in town...

Edited by blue_water

15 hours ago, blue_water said:

If we were there on a cruise stop for the first time AND we wanted to see some of the sights we would plan a busier itinerary, something like:

Mountain Top for the view of Magens and the north shore, and the $12 banana daiquiri.

Skyline Drive with a stop at the overlook, maybe Drake’s Seat for the view.

Stop by Hull Bay, having a car makes this so easy, it’s a little harder with a taxi, otherwise Sapphire Beach.

Last stop Paradise Point.

Easier itinerary -

Sapphire

Skyline Dr

PP

Since we’ve stayed on the island and have seen most of it we would just drive to Sapphire and enjoy the beach, take time to stop at Island Time Pub for pizza in Red Hook (opens at 3PM though, if there earlier the Tap & Still opens at 11 and has good burgers), then drop the car and head up to Paradise Point by taxi or tram. We would be docked at Havensight where we can walk back to the ship from the tram.

Where are you docked and what are your port times?

[EDIT] But I will say the north shore views including Magens Bay from MT and from Drake’s Seat are stunning so you should take the time to hit one of those since you will have the car. MT is nothing more than a large souvenir store with this spectacular view, although we have gotten nice beach bags there we didn’t see in town...

Thanks for all the information.   We are arriving at the Havensight Dock.   So I think my only options for a car are Avis or Budget.  I emailed all the local places and they aren't interesting in my business unfortunately.   Do you know of any other local places? I still have a note out to Paradise. 

We are in port from 7am to 5pm.  I see most rental places are open from 8-5pm.      

Do you have a beach that you feel is better?  I was leaning towards Sapphire.