Snorkeling Favorite

mysticlady2

Hi everyone we will be visiting Grand cayman, Ochoa rios Jamaica, Routan Honduras and Costa Maya and harvest caye Belize. We already have something planned for CM but was wondering where would be a good place to snorkel ? I have only been a couple times in my life and i would love to actually see something hoping for a sea turtle or at least a lot of fish. Suggestions would so be appreciated. Thanks :classic_smile:

I second Roatan! We have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and now go for vacations in Roatan to snorkel. The best snorkeling is near the tip of West Bay right near the Grand Roatan condo/hotel. There is a restaurant right by the beach. Sit down, buy some drinks/food and go snorkel. You can also just put down your towel on the sand. Reef is right there! Fabulous.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I haven't been there but I do hear Roatan is amazing for snorkeling.

One cool thing to do in Georgetown is find the sunken ship that is between where your ship anchors and the shore. There is a dive shop to the left of the pier you'll come in on and you can use their dock. The wreck is about 50 ft out in the water in very clear water. 

I don't know of snorkeling in Ocho Rios but there is a really nice beach you can walk to right from the port. You can see it from the boat, there is a small fee to enter and it was a nice place to spend the day.

Roatan is by far the best of that  group.  Reefs come right up to surface in many areas, so you are able to see everything while floating on the surface. 

Grand Cayman would be next, depending on where you go.

Jamaica doesn't have reefs or fish, don't waste your money there.  

Costa Maya - haven't been there.

Cozumel - reefs are too deep to really enjoy them, IMHO.  Great scuba, mediocre snorkeling.  

There is always Eden Rock on Grand Cayman.  A short walk from the pier.  It's free to snorkel there. You can bring your own stuff or there is a dive shop that rents equipment. You wade out from shore. It's pretty decent.