mexican Rivera in March

katfer

Hey all...my cruise is booked as well as flights...finally..      ............    anyone have any input on what to do?  Going on Holland Neuw Amsterdam in March.  Couple going with us can't walk very far.  Going to Puerto Vallarta...Cabo..and mazleton[spelling]  Thanks so much!

Here are my recommendations for self-guided tours in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.  I am assuming we are talking about a relatively short one-day cruise ship visit.  Of course, the Ship will offer a lot of excursions, some of which might appeal to you.

PUERTO VALLARTA:

Known for:  Cobblestone streets, high sidewalks.   Sculptures along the Malecon

Grab a cab from the port.  There are mini-vans and cabs offering to drive you “downtown” for $4 per person.  The Malecon (I’ll loosely translate this as “The Boardwalk”) is too far for you to walk, especially compared to a $4 pp cab ride.   Make sure the fare is $4 per person.

El Malecon Boardwalk:   The cab will drop you off near Rosita Hotel.  You can walk down El Malecon from there.  The water to your right is Banderas Bay.    Whenever you get tired, you can take a break at any of the many restaurants, or you can grab a cab back to the ship.  For the return taxi ride, there is no fixed fare – agree upon a price before you get in the cab!   I usually pay $10 to $15 for the return trip, depending on various issues, including how tired I am and how much time and effort I want to put into negotiating! 

On the Malecon, third shop down from the north end, is The Devil's Ice Cream. Try the Mango ice cream. 

As you walk down the street, you will see many sculptures  – the Seahorse, the dolphins, the ladder to the sky (“In Search of Reason”), sea creature chairs (“Rotunda of the Sea”)

There will also be sand sculptures on the Bay side.

Sometimes, the folkloric fliers are performing here.

Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe is off to the left (as you walk south).  You will see the government building and the Plaza De Las Armas on your left.  Cut through the Plaza and you will come to the Church.  It is a couple of blocks uphill from El Malecon.

Walk as far as you want.  The Malecon used to end at a river, in the middle of which is an island, Isle Cuale.  Nowadays, you can continue walking El Malecon even further. 

Las Muertos Beach is at the south end of El Malecon; maybe five blocks beyond Rio Cuale?  Plenty of beach-front restaurants, parasailing, banana boats, jet ski rentals, ....

By Las Muertos Beach, there is a street called Basilio Badillo, where you'll find a variety of shops with good quality Mexican items better priced than the stores on El Malecon.

Oxxo Stores are the equivalent of 7-11.  Coke, chips, ....

PV has multiple alternatives – Vallarta Botanical Gardens, zip-lining, Playa las Gemelas, Destiladeras Beach, Playa Las Animas, ....   But the cab ride to El Malecon is the basic “I want to ‘do” Puerto Vallarta” experience.

MAZATLAN

The ship docks in the middle of a large commercial port.  You need to take a free shuttle bus from the ship to the Visitor’s Center, which is filled with small stores.  Once you get through that (and the stalls outside it), there are taxis and tour busses lined up waiting for you.  Mazatlan has golf-cart style cabs (“pulmonia”).  As always in Mexico, agree upon the price of the cab before you get in!!  There are lots of tourist helpers, these are snowbirds helping us out as a free service.  
My recommendation for a do-it-yourself tour:

Grab a golf cart to the Cathedral downtown.  Explore the Cathedral and then walk to El Mercado (Mercado Pino Suarez, to give it its full name).  Ask and any of the locals will point you in the right direction.  It is only a block or two.  Wander around El Mercado, get grossed out by the pig heads and other exotic merchandise.  

Then, grab a golf cart and go to the Golden Zone – ask to be let off at Seashell City or Shrimp Factory or Las Flores Beach Resort.  Wander around, go to the beach, shop, enjoy.

When you are done, grab another golf cart to take you back to the ship.  If you want, this driver will stop to let you watch the cliff divers.  

Alternative: There is a blue line painted down the sidewalk that leads to downtown.  You can easily walk to the downtown area by simply following the blue line.  The Tourist Advisors will help you find the Cathedral and Mercado.

My personal way to enjoy Mazatlan includes a trip to Stone Island: A short walk from the Passenger Terminal, there is a “ferry” that takes you across a small inlet to Stone Island.  From the entrance/exit of the Cruise Terminal (after the tram ride from the ship), turn left and walk down the street, about four blocks.  The street curves to the right just beyond the entrance to the Naval facility.  Continue straight onto a dirt road, about 50 yards, to a ticket booth (small yellow building).    Round trip ticket costs 30 pesos per person – they will charge you $2 per person if you pay in $US.  I am happy to pay the excess ($0.50 per person).   After you reach Stone Island, there is a path off to the left, to the beach and restaurants.   I usually spend a couple of hours on the beach at one of the restaurants before heading back across the bay and taking a golf cart to downtown.

CABO SAN LUCAS:

Tender port.  Only a few hours here, so don’t get adventurous!!  

The tenders bring you to the Marina, which is filled with restaurants, bars, shops.  Some people don’t even leave the marina area.  If you wander a little bit, you will find more restaurants and bars – Giggling Marlin, Cabo Wabo and similar places.

Very much a “party city” for California’s youth.

Water taxis are available right where you get off the tenders.  The boat will take you to see the arch, and then will drop you off on Medano Beach. $8 pp; they’ll demand $12!  

From that beach you can easily rent a jet ski. This is a noisy, active beach, not quiet at all!  Lots of vendors, lots of parasail boat operators, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1