Passports Needed?

CruiseGal999

I know there are a lot of threads about Passports and requirements, etc.  Mostly I see people asking about the Caribbean.  But going from NY into Canada can you cruise without a passport?  Yes, thus bringing all the requisite BC with raised seal, etc.  I'm not asking for me ... I have my passport ... but need info. for a friend.  Thanks.  

You could  check

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Canada.html

I think if you are entering by land or sea  you just need Proof of Citizenship & government photo I.D  same as  Caribbean closed loop cruises

if  flying out of Canada  then you need a passport

check  WHTI  compliant documents

some cruise line may require passports 

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

If it's an RT cruise, and your friend is a US citizen, then they're good with the birth cert/DL combo just like a Caribbean RT. Technically they could also cruise one way to Canada and be allowed in - we don't actually demand a US passport for entry by sea or land, just air - but we still ask to see one because your OWN government will not let you back home without a passport (or NEXUS, Global Entry, SENTRI type alternate WHTI-compatible ID) even if you drove back, or hung around and took a different cruise later. The only reason an RT cruise is OK is because they have their own specific exemption to WHTI rules - but one way cruises or any other mode of transport and the BC/DL combo does not work (well, if <16 years old they could drive or boat back...)

9 minutes ago, martincath said:

If it's an RT cruise, and your friend is a US citizen, then they're good with the birth cert/DL combo just like a Caribbean RT. Technically they could also cruise one way to Canada and be allowed in - we don't actually demand a US passport for entry by sea or land, just air - but we still ask to see one because your OWN government will not let you back home without a passport (or NEXUS, Global Entry, SENTRI type alternate WHTI-compatible ID) even if you drove back, or hung around and took a different cruise later. The only reason an RT cruise is OK is because they have their own specific exemption to WHTI rules - but one way cruises or any other mode of transport and the BC/DL combo does not work (well, if <16 years old they could drive or boat back...)

Thank you.  It is RT NY - Canada - NY.  She is US Citizen and has the correct birth certificate and DL ... so she's good to go.  Like I said ... I'd only seen people asking about the caribbean cruises.  

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Melinda Brasher said:

I'd still recommend that she get a passport.  What if something unexpected happens?  

I agree. It's a good investment over ten years.  To paraphrase a commercial, "Don't leave the country without it."