Still trying to decide.

Jeffrey1950

After two cruses to the Caribbean I am planning for this year either a Transatlantic or the Independence trip to Canada. I am now pondering over the Canadian trip. It seems a lot of money for so short of actual sea time. I have to pay the solo fare so that makes it more expensive. Do

prices come down nearer the time like other cruises and is it worth the fare involved for such short sea time?

49 minutes ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

After two cruses to the Caribbean I am planning for this year either a Transatlantic or the Independence trip to Canada. I am now pondering over the Canadian trip. It seems a lot of money for so short of actual sea time. I have to pay the solo fare so that makes it more expensive. Do

prices come down nearer the time like other cruises and is it worth the fare involved for such short sea time?

Jeffery, I can't comment specifically on the itineraries you mention in your post but in general, for the itineraries I watch, the prices seem to either stay the same or even go up. For reference the itineraries I've been watching are Australia/New Zealand and Japan. The same itinerary for Japan that I've booked on for 2020 were at least one category more expensive for 2019 (and have been for many months). In my experience, if a certain travel opportunity seems too expensive to you, it's probably not quite what you really want to do. Do the one that seems like fair value to you.

6 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Jeffery, I can't comment specifically on the itineraries you mention in your post but in general, for the itineraries I watch, the prices seem to either stay the same or even go up. For reference the itineraries I've been watching are Australia/New Zealand and Japan. The same itinerary for Japan that I've booked on for 2020 were at least one category more expensive for 2019 (and have been for many months). In my experience, if a certain travel opportunity seems too expensive to you, it's probably not quite what you really want to do. Do the one that seems like fair value to you.

Thank you, I know the other trips to/from Canada tend to go down near the sail date but not so sure about this particular trip. I know you can get good rates for the Transatlantic but will wait and see about that what puts me off that a bit is having to mess around with flying well, not so much the flying have flown many times Transatlantic it is the getting from port to Airport or vice versa that kind of puts me off.

5 hours ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Thank you, I know the other trips to/from Canada tend to go down near the sail date but not so sure about this particular trip. I know you can get good rates for the Transatlantic but will wait and see about that what puts me off that a bit is having to mess around with flying well, not so much the flying have flown many times Transatlantic it is the getting from port to Airport or vice versa that kind of puts me off.

Dear Jeffrey1950,

We are booked for this Independence 2019 cruise as we have done this type of sailing several times in the past.

Since this year they have added an additional port (Newport) and sea day it is a port/sea day sailing versus  a TA which are all  7 sea days. Next year 2020 they are subbing Portland Maine in place of this years Newport.

We like this itinerary for the theme it holds for the Holiday Celebration in the City of Boston, Halifax which is a favorite Canadian City and Newport a port we look forward to when added to a sailing. Of course to enjoy the ship and all it offers all look forward to sea days with a full days program of activities that are offered each day on a TA. We enjoy like on Caribbean sailings, stopping at ports and investigate what they offer even thought we may have visited them in the past.

We having booked this sailing numerous times in the past and we have seen months close to the date sales on this sailing and even Flash Sales. Of course the company would like to fill out the ship as much as possible. All our past sailings, IMHO the ship was crowded. We did hear from some friends of the past, that last year sailing was not as filled since St John NF, not a favorite port, was the added port for that year.

This was the very first cruise we took on the QM2 to try her out in 2006 after saying Good Bye to our favorite QE2. At that time I remember the Cruise Director describing the cruise a Party Cruise, one that would be used to see if passengers would like her for future booking. Party since it was short and not like traditional Caribbean, TA's, Fjords etc... itineraries.

Again in IMHO.. we like this sailing as a break and get away. Being a Diamond Member and over 26 cruises with Cunard we are happy the breaks that are offered to us.

Thought this years sailing seems to be going slow, I expect more activity to come in the coming weeks and months to full out the ship.

Hope you can make the decision that will satisfy you vacation needs. 

Edited by BklynBoy8