Getting from Warndemunde to Wismar

Redsky5292

Morning!  My husband and I are taking a 9 day Baltic Sea cruise from Copenhagen on NCL in July.  When we are in Germany we are thinking of going to Wismar for the day.  How would we get from Warndemunde to Wismar, is there a train, or do we need to take a bus?  Anyone know how long the trip is?  We don't want to book an excursion as we are both seasoned travelers and have no issues taking local transportation.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redsky5292 said:

Morning!  My husband and I are taking a 9 day Baltic Sea cruise from Copenhagen on NCL in July.  When we are in Germany we are thinking of going to Wismar for the day.  How would we get from Warndemunde to Wismar, is there a train, or do we need to take a bus?  Anyone know how long the trip is?  We don't want to book an excursion as we are both seasoned travelers and have no issues taking local transportation.  Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I have not visited Wismar from Warnemunde but it is possible via train or bus. Of course, you could also rent a car.

Information here (including distance, price, etc.):

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Warnemünde/Wismar

You can check the Deutsche Bahn site here for train times:

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

Edited by dogs4fun

Anni, a former local expert on this board,  has a fantastic website and spells out perfectly how to get to Wismar.  You will take the S-bahn to Rostock and then change there to Wismar.

Here is the link to the page on Wismar: https://travelanni.webs.com/wismar.htm

Wismar is a lovely medieval town, with brick Gothic architecture.  Also tucked away in a small street is a roman bath which is also very interesting.

The train station is adjacent to the port. Can't tell you about the train to Wismar as we took it to Rostock, an easy ride. You may wan to check the train schedules to see if you have to change trains.

12 minutes ago, Redsky5292 said:

About how long is the train ride from Warndemunde to Wismar?

The train from ROSTOCK to Wismar takes just a little over an hour (about 1h, 10mins). You must first take the S-bahn from Warnemunde to Rostock and from Rostock, you take the train to Wismar. So, add an additional 20 minutes travel time for the ride from Warnemunde to Rostock.

Edited by dogs4fun

8 hours ago, Redsky5292 said:

What about renting a car?  Anyone have experience with this?  My husband thinks it would be cool to drive on the autobahn.

The Autobahn isn't like it used to be...most likely there will be a speed limit (usually about 70 mph) and you'd lose a lot interesting scenery and small towns by driving on the highway.   Unless you are planning on driving to Berlin then I would advise it.   There are car rental agencies near the port.  Sixt, Hertz and something else come to mind.  IF you do a seach on this forum for car rental Warnemunde you should be able to find a lot of threads on it.