Epic odds and ends questions

taraavo

Now that  my cruise is so close, I'm thinking of additional random questions I haven't asked yet. If I hope to change a reservation for dinner on embarkation day, what's the recommended way to do it? Do I go to guest services? What are the touch screen kiosks everyone talks about? Also, on the itinerary on MyNCL, am I assuming correctly that times listed for port days are ship time and not local time? Thank you!

1 hour ago, taraavo said:

If I hope to change a reservation for dinner on embarkation day, what's the recommended way to do it? Do I go to guest services?

Go to the restaurant reservations desk on deck 15. For show reservations, the box office is on deck 6.

What are the touch screen kiosks everyone talks about?

There are touch screens near the elevators that you can use to make restaurant, show, and tender reservations. It's also possible to make reservations interactively through the TV in your cabin. Last year I could not find a way to cancel a reservation with these screens, but I may not have been sufficiently determined or patient.

Also, on the itinerary on MyNCL, am I assuming correctly that times listed for port days are ship time and not local time?

Ship's time BUT on some cruises the captain chooses to change the ship's time to local time. When I went to eastern Canada last fall, the ship did not change to local (Atlantic) time, but the Freestyle Daily, delivered to your cabin each evening, will tell you this when calling at ports in a different time zone.

• Like 1

We were on the 2/9 Epic sailing.  As soon as we boarded, we stopped in the Headliners club.  They had staff set up to help book excursions, entertainment and dining.  We came on board with a plan and were able to book Cagneys, Teppenyaki and shore tender time before even getting our first drink!

• Like 1

Oh I have another one - is there a bar at Cagney's or Moderno that you can get drinks from if you aren't eating there? I read about this on one of the other ships but wondered if Epic has the same. Thanks!

Yes there is. This is a good one to visit if the lines are building up at the more popular bars like Osheehans and H20.

I'm back with a question about phones. I'm aware of the internet packages (have a social media package), the existence of texting apps, etc. There is one 5 minute phone call that I absolutely have to make on a sea day. I know it will cost a pretty penny  and I'm prepared to pay for it so my question isn't related to pricing, it's a  phone call that has to be made and cannot be carried out via texting app. I have confirmed that my phone carrier is part of Norwegians CellAtSea program. Do I just make the phone call regularly or do  have to have a certain app, etc. for it? Thank you!

I was able to activate a calling plan through my cell phone carrier (AT&T) for use on the Cellular at sea network. If the call has to be at a certain time I would not absolutely depend on the Cellular at Sea network. Service was spotty at best. I had trouble sending and receiving text messages on some days and making calls on most days. I think it only cost me $100 and it covered me for the month in multiple countries as well as while cruising. I don't remember the in room rates exactly but I do remember joking with my BF one night saying "Look we can make a call home for ONLY $5.95 per minute from the room phone." If you're only making a 5 minute call it may just be worth it to know you'll have the connection to make the call when you need it. Plus, I prefer NOT having cellular or internet while at sea so I can disconnect with an excuse.

• Like 1