Mismatched Spouse Attire?

Moogy

I am looking forward to dressing up for formal night, since I never have a chance to wear something elegant. (We live in Austin, the capital of casual!)

I want to wear a long gown, very formal. However, the best I can get my attorney hubby into will be the same dark suit he wears when he goes to court. Do you think we look too mismatched?

Thanks for any opinions. :confused:

Your husband should be dressed to compliment you, and vice versa.

Either you both should be dressed formally, or semi-formally, etc.....not formal and semi-formal.

Are we talking a black suit? Navy? Charcoal?

He doesn't *have* to wear a tux to be formal ;)

Best wishes,

~e

Has he seen your dress?

I know what you are saying, though, I've never gotten my husband into a tux, except on our wedding day. Mine wears a black suit, I at least get to select his shirt and tie to coordinate with whatever I'm wearing. But, I tend to not dress so formally as to look odd in our pictures, I tend to go less formal than others. I wear a long sparkly dress, not a gown, or a shorter cocktail length dress, sometimes a long black skirt with sparkly top.

So, I guess it would depend on the color and fabric of the suit.

I live in Austin too and work for an attorney. When are you crusing and on what ship? We leave in 8 days out of Galveston.

I wouldn't worry especially if it is dark. Many men wear suits instead of tuxes. Maybe he could get ties that coordinate with what you are wearing. My soon to be husband will be wearing silver one night and red another which just happens to coordinate with what I am wearing.

A dark suit is absolutely acceptable and will be just fine with your formal gown. Tuxes are not required and depending on what cruiseline the % of men wearing them differs. For instance Celebrity generally has a higher ratio of Tuxes than perhaps a Carnival. The lines all say "Tux or Dark Suit". You will both look fine. You might want to suggest a more formal tie then perhaps one of his every-day ones. Perhaps a color that compliments your dress, but in a nice silk, with maybe a matching hankie tucked in the pocket of his jacket.

I agree with joelmarj's advice and will add a thought.

Have him wear an elegant white shirt with his dark suit - a white-on-white textured cotton and/or a shirt with cufflinks is dressier than an ordinary plain white shirt. Also, a rich/expensive silk tie that coordinates with your gown will make you both look elegant together. I'm not saying "matching" colors - just colors that look well together.

Have a great cruise.

Jane

This happened on our last cruise.

My partner and I dressed for dinner, to meet up with another couple at our table ( they were both women ). Somehow....each of us matched one of them.

The entire night people had us married off to each other.

The funniest part was I was meeting one of the ladies at the theatre. I was a little late and the attendant outside the door asked " Are you Dave"

I said yes, she proceeded with "your wife is already inside waiting for you", I pulled her aside and quietly said " She's not my wife" and winked. She gasped and smiled "Oh....." I then said " Just don't tell MY HUSBAND".

The look on her face was precious.....then she laughed.

Moral of the story...Try to co-ordinate your outfits or someone will marry you off to someone else:D

Dave:eek:

Archived