Jewelry buying Grand Cayman/Ocho Rios

:o Hello fellow jewelry lovers. I love to shop, particularly for jewelry. We are sailing on the Mariner in February (february 11 to be exact) and would love to know any tips and jewelry stores of choice people might suggest on our stops at ports of call. I know Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman have a lot of jewelry stores to choose from. I am specifically looking for 14 karat gold and diamond items.

I hope to hear from you!:p

:o Hello fellow jewelry lovers. I love to shop, particularly for jewelry. We are sailing on the Mariner in February (february 11 to be exact)

OK,

I gotta know, who did you bribe to let you on when we're on our final sea day?

;)

(On Feb 5-12 sailing)

I do not believe there is anything you can buy in Grand Cayman that you could not buy cheaper anywhere in the U.S. After you have been there once and seen the Stingrays, it's a good day to stay on the ship. The tendering process alone is not worth the trouble to get there. Seven mile beach does not impress me.

My wife get an unbelieveable deal on jewelry in Ocho Rios. They asked what she would pay for a certain item and my wife picked some ridiculous price. The salesman went to the owner, came back and said OK. The owner gave us dirty looks until we left the store. Store was at a Taj Mahal shopping center (I believe it's the only one in Ocho Rios). Take a cab from the ship.

I agree-the jewelry was expensive in Grand Cayman but a lot of people bought semi precious stones. I, too, am a jewelry lover. That is why my husband may never let me go back to St Thomas-had too much fun!! I missed the stingrays because of a change in schedule on our cruise ship(medical reasons-NOT MINE) & my excursion was canceled. I have heard wonderful things about the stingrays.

Cozumel has fabulous deals on jewelery! You will have a blast, bargaining is not only acceptable but expected. The really big thing there is Australian Opal, a beautiful flecked green/turquoise stone that they set usually in silver. Gorgeous, but still pretty expensive. Very unique, though. When I was there in May I got a gorgeous little silver angelfish pendant with australian opal in it for $75USD and it will always be my reminder of all the fishies we played with in Coz. Lots of gold, diamonds, silver, etc. Do your homework before you go so you know what you're talking about, but there are deals to be had here!

We didn't do any jewelry shopping in Ocho Rios. In Grand Cayman, although expensive, we bought jewelry at Bernard K. Passman. They are one of the few dealers authorized to sell items made from black coral (and gold). Each item has BKP or his name on it in gold. Their jewelry is guaranteed to retain it's original value. You will receive papers in the mail when you return home showing the purchase price, date etc. so that in the future, should you want to trade up for a different piece of their jewelry, you are guaranteed to have an item that is at least valued at the original purchase price.

I haven't been to GC in a couple of years, so I'm not sure if or where they are located since the hurricanes. They do have a website that might interest you.

http://www.passman.com/index.php

I found that Ochos Rios was less expensive that Grand Cayman. I worked at a jewelry store for 6 years so I have a pretty good idea what retail prices compare at. Ochos Rios has a good selection in the mall area I went to and had several stores to look through. A cruisemate's husband bought her a tanzanite ring for under $150.

Happy Shopping!!

I vote Ocho Rios then St. Maarten. Found Gand Cayman. Aruba and St. Thomas not as negotiable. Cozumel has also changed since cruising in the late 90's regarding jewelry bargains. With the large number of ships that visit there now they don't need to nego. as much. IMHO.

Archived