Train from Dublin to Athlone

Gitmo

We will be on a Europe cruise in June.  It might sound crazy, but we want to visit the oldest bar in Ireland in Athlone.  It is 1.5 hours from Dublin.  We arrive in Dublin at 8 and leave at 6 the same day.  I imagine a taxi, uber, or private hire will be really really expensive.  I heard the train system is great.  Any advice on the train, web site, fares, etc... would be greatly appreciated.   We will take a taxi from the port to the train station and same to the bar.  What can I say, it is a Bucket List.  

LHT28 has given you the link to the Irish Rail website.  Just a couple of comments!

Pre book tickets on the website as it is considerably cheaper than just walking up to the ticket kiosk.

Allow time for your trip both to and from the station as you will be travelling in the morning and evening rush hours.  dublin traffic can be brutal!

Be careful about which day of week you arrive and check for local holidays, which will mean a reduced train service.