Just winging it?

Formytinkerbelle

This goes against everything in me as I am the type who plans out every minute of vacations, but I'm thinking of just winging it in Bermuda.  Is this a good port to just go and see what you want to do when you get there?  Like will there be last minute excursions available off ship or does it really need to be booked in advance?  My husband and I are surprising our 2 oldest kids, ages 10 and 11, with a cruise that docks overnight Bermuda and then a day in Grand Turk.  I'm hesitant to book anything because they may just be as happy walking along the coves and beaches or we may see something and make it up as we go.  Anyone else just go with the Bermuda flow?

2 hours ago, Formytinkerbelle said:

This goes against everything in me as I am the type who plans out every minute of vacations, but I'm thinking of just winging it in Bermuda.  Is this a good port to just go and see what you want to do when you get there?  Like will there be last minute excursions available off ship or does it really need to be booked in advance?  My husband and I are surprising our 2 oldest kids, ages 10 and 11, with a cruise that docks overnight Bermuda and then a day in Grand Turk.  I'm hesitant to book anything because they may just be as happy walking along the coves and beaches or we may see something and make it up as we go.  Anyone else just go with the Bermuda flow?

You'll be fine just "going with the flow".  There's almost never a need to book a cruise ship excursion in Bermuda. The only reason I've done it is if I have "use it or lose it" OBC limited to shore excursions. You can get almost anywhere easily by public bus and ferry or by private beach mini bus shuttles from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay...or by taxi if you prefer. there are also any number of reliable excursion operators in Bermuda.

• Thanks 1

Bermuda is an excellent place to wing it. If you want a Diy for your ages: take the ferry to st George walk around. Explore the replica sailing ship near the ferry. Walk to church ruins and then take the public bus to hamilton. It’s a great way to see the island. Along the way you can get off and explore the caves. At H switch to bus to port and get off at a beach along the way before continuing to ship. Or explore H and then bus or ferry back to ship. Very easy, cheap, and safe. 

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elaine5 said:

Bermuda is an excellent place to wing it. If you want a Diy for your ages: take the ferry to st George walk around. Explore the replica sailing ship near the ferry. Walk to church ruins and then take the public bus to hamilton. It’s a great way to see the island. Along the way you can get off and explore the caves. At H switch to bus to port and get off at a beach along the way before continuing to ship. Or explore H and then bus or ferry back to ship. Very easy, cheap, and safe. 

Thank you! I love suggestions!