Afternoon in NYC

Elly67

I may have missed it but suprised that nobody suggested the Hop on Hop off bus🤗 Walk up to Times Square and catch one...if it's your first time in the city it's a great chance to hear all the history behind the areas ...stay on and the next time around you may know where you want to get off...just a thought...

Edited by myjillian
  • Like 3

Have to agree with everyone who says to avoid Times Square -- I live north of NYC and visit it a few times a year and I cannot understand why people like Times Square.    Some of my favorite places are Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral (go inside -- it's beautiful), the Metropolitan Museum, and Grand Central Station (also incredibly beautiful inside -- there is also a really nice market inside).     But as everyone says -- leave a LOT of time to get back to the ship.   There are times when the traffic congestion is so bad you will not move for over an hour.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oceanswimmer said:

Have to agree with everyone who says to avoid Times Square -- I live north of NYC and visit it a few times a year and I cannot understand why people like Times Square.    Some of my favorite places are Rockefeller Center, St. Patrick's Cathedral (go inside -- it's beautiful), the Metropolitan Museum, and Grand Central Station (also incredibly beautiful inside -- there is also a really nice market inside).     But as everyone says -- leave a LOT of time to get back to the ship.   There are times when the traffic congestion is so bad you will not move for over an hour.

I agree and would add to the list The Museum of Natural History (my personal favorite).

On 3/27/2019 at 3:37 PM, Elly67 said:

We sail on the Pearl April 18th.  Our flight will be arriving around 9:45 am and since we don't sail until 8:00 pm (back on board by 6:00 pm), the husband and I are hoping to see a sight or two. We figure by the time we collect luggage, get over to the pier and check in, we will have 4 to 6 hours to do a tiny bit of sightseeing.  From our research, it looks like Central Park and Times Square are about a mile or so from the pier.  It appears they are in opposite directions, but possibly close enough to walk to and check out in the small window of time we have.  Any thoughts on this? If you could only see one, which would you choose and why?  We have never been to NYC and realize we will only be able to see one or two things, but would still like get out and about before setting sail.  If these aren't reasonable options, any other idea's to kill some time in the afternoon? Thanks in advance!

we had a similar situation many years ago but visa versa; our ship docked at about 9am and we didn't have a flight out until early the next morning. We did the hop on/hop off bus tour. It was a great way to get a glimpse of NYC and some fun facts. 

On other times when we have arrived early with the cruise not leaving til late in the evening, we have just boarded the ship early and enjoyed the day on board.