Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

From what I've read on the photo message boards, the Canon 1.4x converter won't degrade the image, while the 2x will slightly. No personal experience, only what I've read.

If this is a double post sorry as the Cruise Critic site was really having problems an hour or two ago.

Wolfnature, welecome. You have posted a lot of good information.

as41shots the lens we're talking about is the new, as of last year 70-300 IS, not the old 75-300 IS. The new 70-300 IS is a much, much better lens that the old one.

That's good to know, because the older one apears to be a stinker. :D

• 2 weeks later...

@ JP Crusing

Quote from Other Thread:

Thanks for you interest in my photos, I also have a slideshow of my Alaska trip available at:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=98288

I used a Canon Digital Rebel SLR with the 18-55mm "kit" lens and the Canon 75-300 IS zoom lens. I purchased the camera in Jan. 2004 to give myself several months to learn how to use it before leaving on the cruise 5 months later.

I really LOVE your photos. Do you think the Canon S3 will even compare to that? I know the Rebel's expensive, but it looks REALLY worth it!!!!!!!!

Hope y'all don't mind a question from a novice!! :confused:

On our cruise last year to Alaska we had our Canon A95 and got some really good pics, but I would really like to get a camera with a larger zoom to get some better shots of whales, wildlife, etc.

I'm looking at the Canon SI2 or the Sony equivalent with larger zoom (can't remember the model offhand). I have tried reading manuals, etc. but that stuff is not easy for me. (I'm a computer techie, but for some reason, technical camera stuff goes right over my head :( )

My question is, would I get really good pics leaving the settings on Automatic on either of these larger zoom cameras? Which one is better for the novice, the Canon SI2 or the Sony? Or should I just stick with my Canon A95?

Thanks so much for your input!

We are going with the Nikon D70s and an additional Nikon 70-200 DX Zoom. This is an extremely easy to use digital camera that produces great photos. For my husband and I.............and maybe we are like most amateur photogs out there..........he's the more technical photographer, and I tend to like to shoot the creative/artsy shot. Just my two cents....................:p

@ JP Crusing

Quote from Other Thread:

Thanks for you interest in my photos, I also have a slideshow of my Alaska trip available at:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?bm=98288

I used a Canon Digital Rebel SLR with the 18-55mm "kit" lens and the Canon 75-300 IS zoom lens. I purchased the camera in Jan. 2004 to give myself several months to learn how to use it before leaving on the cruise 5 months later.

I really LOVE your photos. Do you think the Canon S3 will even compare to that? I know the Rebel's expensive, but it looks REALLY worth it!!!!!!!!

Tapia, from the little I have read about the Canon S3 it should be a good camera and offers a lot of features. For good information and reviews of cameras I recommend www.dpreview.com please note that their reviews are very detailed and can be complex, just skip to the conclusions at the end if you don't want to wade through the rest.

About cameras, I think people get too wrapped up in the equipment when it really is the person behind the camera that makes the difference. An out of focus picture taken with a $10,000 or $100 dollar camera is still an out of focus camera. I think most of today's cameras are capable of making a good picture. The biggest thing I could recommend is read your manual multiple times, spend a lot of time shooting pictures before your trip so you are really familiar with your camera. Now concerning the Canon Digital Rebel XT, 20D, 30D or Nikons D50, D70, D200 etc. they all are capable of great pictures and offer you the ability to change lenses and offer a higher degree of control and speed. If your budget allows it and you have an interest in photography and are willing to spend the time to use the features then I would recommend the digital SLRs. I also recommend joining a local camera club and remember to have fun.

I am chiming in a bit late here, but....when my wife and I go in July, I will take my Olympus 35mm, my Canon digital camcorder, and my Canon S2 IS. The S2is will be the one I carry most everywhere. I plan on taking enough memory for well over 1000 pictures. The things I like about the S2IS for this trip are a 12x optical zoom (can go a lot further in digital, but I try not to use digital unless its a matter of there being no other way to get the shot), the image stabilizer for taking long zoom shots, and the fact it uses AA batteries. I have had other digitals that used proprietary rechargables, and they are a huge pain on a trip. You always find yourself out of batteries at the worst time. I use rechargable AA NiMh batteries in my Canon, but if need be I can use standard AA just fine. Also, this thing goes a long time on the four AA batteries it carries. I cannot imagine going through all four sets of my rechargables before I have a chance to charge them. I have seen digital cameras that would only take a few dozen pics before the batteries needed charged (especially with the flash turned on), so one feature I really like on the S2is is that it will go a long time on one set of batteries.

If you are looking for a digicam that is less expensive and complicated than the digital SLR's, the S2is is a really nice choice.

I looked at the specs on the S3 today, it is really not much different than the S2is, 6 MP vs. 5 MP and they have increased the size of the LCD screen just a touch. You can turn the ISO up to 800 on the S3 vs. 400 on the S2, but I would never use that. Too much noise in the photos at high ISO numbers. Otherwise, I do not see a lot of difference in the specs, modes, or controls. If you can save $$$ on a S2, I would go that way, and spend the extra on more memory or on the front mounted telephoto lens or something.

I looked at the specs on the S3 today, it is really not much different than the S2is, 6 MP vs. 5 MP and they have increased the size of the LCD screen just a touch. You can turn the ISO up to 800 on the S3 vs. 400 on the S2, but I would never use that. Too much noise in the photos at high ISO numbers. Otherwise, I do not see a lot of difference in the specs, modes, or controls. If you can save $$$ on a S2, I would go that way, and spend the extra on more memory or on the front mounted telephoto lens or something.

Wow, thank you so much for posting that. I'm really excited seeing that. I will look into it as soon as I can. THANKS!

I thought this was interesting enough to post here. Since this thread is so full of good information, it is worth a bump to the top.

Sorry, I can't remember who suggested the Kata 102 camera bag, but I went to purchase one this morning and the gal at the "bag place" said she's not sure why so many people are buying this particular bag, but she was sold out! Well, she was able to offer me the Kata 103 that includes a sleeve for a laptop, at a price that was $4.00 more than the Kata 102, so I agreed to the purchase and it was in stock and shipping was free. Thanks for the great review on this bag. Looks exactly like what I was looking for in a backpack style.:D

Just to fill in some information regarding lens selection for the Rebel XT that we had some discussion about earlier. I went to our friends at B&H Photo in NYC and had a great discussion regarding the 70-200 L ($570) and 70-300 IS ($560) Cannon lens. In their opinion, the 70-300 was not worth the price because the quality of the lens isn't worthy. The cost of the lens is inflated because of the stabilizer - which IMO is not needed since the lens is not too heavy. Their suggestion was to go with the older model 100-300 lens ($279) - great quality lens, 'L' type features and fairly light. Not quite as good as the 'L' quality lens, but gives you the longer range. Long story short, I went with the 100-300 suggestion and will test it this weekend and let eveyone know.

I thought this was interesting enough to post here. Since this thread is so full of good information, it is worth a bump to the top.

Sorry, I can't remember who suggested the Kata 102 camera bag, but I went to purchase one this morning and the gal at the "bag place" said she's not sure why so many people are buying this particular bag, but she was sold out! Well, she was able to offer me the Kata 103 that includes a sleeve for a laptop, at a price that was $4.00 more than the Kata 102, so I agreed to the purchase and it was in stock and shipping was free. Thanks for the great review on this bag. Looks exactly like what I was looking for in a backpack style.:D

Celia, when you get the bag and have had a chance to use it, please post your observations about it. I'm trying to decide between Lowepro's CompuTrekker AW or the Kata R-103. I've seen the CompuTrekker but haven't found the Kata locally to have a look at yet. Also, from whom did you buy the bag?

Hello OldCodger73: I bought the bag at:

http://www.midwestbags.com

The gal who helped me did a great job and the shipping was free! The Kata is made by BOGEN, and I love just about all BOGEN products, so I'm sure I'll love this bag. Having a pocket for a laptop is a plus, although I usually don't carry one with me....I use my iPOD.

BTW, the KATA bags are not sold by very many companies, so it is hard to find one elsewhere. Most camera stores don't carry them either. Maybe this is because they are very rugged, designed for the working pro, and a little on the expensive side.

OldCodger73: I received the Kata 103 and I'm very impressed with it so far. The room is plentiful, lots of pockets, zippered compartments and a very well-padded area for a laptop. The bag is very robust for a backpack, but then again, I'm carrying some precious cargo, so this is exactly what I was looking for in a bag. I often have hikes at the San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park, and this bag worked perfectly. This is one terrific bag.

My only negative comment, the pack is about 3.5 lbs, so expect a good sized weight on your back, although the harness does balance much of the weight. I looked at the Lowpro bag, but personally, it just didn't compare to this one at all. The KATA is one rugged bag! I can see why the photojournalists use them in IRAQ. Hope this helps in your decision making.

Celia, thanks for your assessment of the Kata R-103. After I posted my question I was able to examine an R-103 closely. I don't think I've ever seen a better built bag. It is heavy but given its size it was less than corresponding bags the same size.

Unfortunately, though, the bag won't work for me and what I want to carry. The problem is the tappered shape of the bag, while the height of the interior compartment may be 6.9" at the bottom, it's a lot less at the top, severely impacting what I could put there. So, I guess if I do go with a photo/computer bag it will be the Lowepro CompuTrekker AW-- not as robustly built but at least all my gear will fit in it.

OldCodger73: I'm glad you found a bag that works. You must be toting around many pieces of equipment. I can fit my 30D and 70-200 L, 50mm 1.4, 14-70L and the 25-70mm with no problem. I can also fit in my G5 when lugging just isn't on the menu! LOL! Sorry it didn't work for you, but glad you found something you really like.

I have the Nikon F5 and have used it for several years. I am looking to get a Nikon digital, and am considering the d200. Here is a few questions:

Will I regret going to a digital body? I am so used to shooting film, is it going to be difficult to make the transition? I have some Photoshop skills, and shooting in the RAW will obviously offer significant benefits, but how difficult will it be to get prints made that will appear WYSIWYG?

In glass, I have the Nikon D 80-200 f2.8, and 18-35 that are my 'old-favorites.' With the 1.5x focal length, these lenses will obviously have a longer FL. Will this be a difficult adjustment to make?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Additional info on the 100-300 lens - terrific. Over the weekend I shot over 200 pictures at games and very happy with the quality and length. I didn't see any issues even at the longer length - even when cropping. I was able to get body shots from 80 yards with great detail (across the soccer field and into the corner). The only downside is trying to hold the camera when taking that many photo's - there was some shake in the later ones. I'll have to try with a tripod.

FlyingRev: I'm not an expert here, but I too, have had some good experience with Canon Film cameras. My brother is a pro photographer and is now searching for the D200 body only. He used Nikon F5 for years and has tons of lenses, so the D200 is a good fit for him. Most of his work is done in low light. The specs on the D200 are awesome. Seems like a good transition to Digital for you.

As for having to "transition" to digital, there are some differences, especially when it comes to the end product. Obviously, your photo skills will adapt to digital very nicely. I've been using various digital cameras and find that lighting, and adjusting for lighting is one of the biggest differences. Fortunately, underexposing in digital isn't so bad, since it can be easily cleaned up in Photoshop or other sharpening software. One thing that is definitely the same, a clear, sharp picture using good focussing skills. I think once you focus on taking pictures with digital, you may never go back to film.

Celia, it's not so much a problem of having a lot of gear, actually I have only four lenses, it's their size. The lens that nixed the Kata R-103 is my 100-400L IS with hood reversed. I either would have to have it mounted on my Rebel XT in the center part of the bag, which would defeat the quick access feature, or store it at the bottom of the bag, which would push everything else upward to the narrower depth portion at the top of the bag. Believe me on this as I really wanted this bag to work. The other three lenses are a 17-85IS with hood, a 135L with hood and a 10-22 with hood. I also plan on throwing in an Olympus C3030 P&S.

FlyingRev, I think Celia does a good job of summing it up. In fact, your only regret will probably be that you didn't switch to digital sooner.

The D200 gets a lot of positive reviews.

The biggest thing you'll notice with the 1.5 crop factor is that your 18-35 is no longer an ultra wide angle lens and would now be roughly 27-52. So if you use the 18 side of the lens a lot you might need to invest in some new glass to cover that. The plus side is the extra reach on the telephoto lenses.

OldCodger73: Would you please consult me before you go on another cruise? I'd love to coordinate so I can "borrow" your 100-400! LOL!

Good point about the reach factor with 1.5. I have to deal with 1.6:eek:

Just curious how much memory it would take for 1000 pictures with this camera? I just purchased this camera and have several 1 gb cards and a few smaller ones - trying to make sure I have enough memory for about that many photos too...... I hope to have the ship burn a cd a few times so I can reuse the memory cards.

Any advice? Thanks!:)

I am chiming in a bit late here, but....when my wife and I go in July, I will take my Olympus 35mm, my Canon digital camcorder, and my Canon S2 IS. The S2is will be the one I carry most everywhere. I plan on taking enough memory for well over 1000 pictures. .

Just curious how much memory it would take for 1000 pictures with this camera? I just purchased this camera and have several 1 gb cards and a few smaller ones - trying to make sure I have enough memory for about that many photos too...... I hope to have the ship burn a cd a few times so I can reuse the memory cards.

Any advice? Thanks!:)

Crusingici: It really all depends on what settings you use to take your pictures. I have always chosen the largest settings (sometimes RAW) to be able to manipulate the data later in Photoshop. Sometimes the best way to determine the # of photos a card will hold, is to consult your camera manual. It will give you approximate # of photos based on the settings you chose. You can than work back to how many cards you will need.

Personally, I don't let the ship "touch" my memory cards. I've seen way too many people upset when something has gone wrong and they have lost their photos. Now, if I lose them, I have no one to blame but me. Someone else, on the other hand, I would be livid. :eek:

Either carry enough Memory cards or invest in a transfer device to store your images. I very rarely take a laptop with me. I have used my iPod on more than several occasions to upload and store photos until I get home. My iPod stored over 2400 photos on my European cruise. Just the plain ole 40 Gig Pod. There are many other devices out there. Maybe someone can share their experiences here.

Archived