Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

Well, I decided to purchase the Nikon D200 to augment my F5. It really is surprising how little time was needed for training. Within 10 minutes, I was up and shooting quality images and deleting the non-so-quality ones. :)

This camera is incredible and the feature set is so impressive. Going from file to digital seemed daunting, but not with this camera.

By the way, Costco does a very respectable job of printing (their luster finish is very nice) and even though they do not print NEF (RAW) files, they do JPEG and the color reproduction is quite nice.

If you are on the fence, go ahead and buy this body, you will not be disappointed!

The D200 - I'm envious! I do love my D70, though. :)

Some of the best printing I've had done was, surprisingly, at Walmart. Most places with the Fuji Frontier machines produce a pretty good picture.

This is a tough ? for me, since I am a professional Wedding and HighSchool Senior Photographer. I do this every weekend, and 4 days a week for seniors, I am a Canon shooter. So when I go on trips I want simple. I love my big camera's, but it depends on what you want for a trip. Since I do this at least 5 days a week, I prefer NOT to take my big lenses, 70-200 2.8 IS, and 24-70, 2.8, Mark II , Canon 5D.

I own an older Canon S60. It drives me crazy cause it is not fast like I am used to, but it takes incredible shots. They have a new version S80, that I am wondering about. I have considered the new Canon S3 IS, but not sure about the reviews I have been reading. The other camera I am reading about it the Sony H2,? or H5,? it is a new P&S coming out this May, They only thing I don't like about these big zooms, is they are all 35 at the widest angle. Whereas the Canon s series, is wide angle at 28mm. So in doing landscape, you get so much more out of the image. I have enlarged up to 11 x 14 without a problem with it. But it doesn't have a big zoom, so there are trade offs. Hopefully Dpreview or Stevesdigcams will come out reviews on these 3 new cameras soon

Much thanks to everyone for all of your help and advice!

I am now aware that there will be much more of a learning curve when trying to use these new cameras! I don't know what I was thinking... trying to take action shots (soccer no less!) as my first photos with a new camera - I guess I got overly excited! :)

When I used the Canon S3, I adjusted the ISO to 200 for the second round of photos, and while they were better I was still a little disappointed in the amount of noise when I zoomed in. They were better, however, than just setting the camera to sports mode, which on a cloudy day probably shot at a very high ISO.

The Canon is a nice camera, but for the money I would have preferred better image quality. Popular Photography tested the camera and noted high noise at ISO levels above 200. I am begininning to think that this will be somewhat of a problem on all of these mega zooms, just by virtue of their construction. I did take some still pictures, and they were very nice although overly saturated, but the still indoor pictures I took were not impressive at all.

There is a very informative article in Popular Photography this month, which you can access online by going to www.popphoto.com and then looking for the feature article "Steal These Cameras", or something to that effect, on the first page when you open the Popular Photography website. It compares the Canon S3, the Sony D5 (not yet tested), the Kodak Z612 (also not yet tested) and one other popular camera of this type.

I found the Kodak Z612 at Best Buy, even though they are supposedly not released until May 31st, so I think I will give this one a try. I have a couple of Kodaks (an old digital which takes great pictures but has limited zoom) and an Advantix, which also takes suprisingly good pictures. This new Kodak does have on-camera editing, and some other nice features as well, and is $100 less than the Canon. I don't think that you can use as many accessories with this camera, and it's kind of ugly, but if the image quality is good then that's all that matters! If not, I will probably exchange it for one of the new Sonys, although I still think that the older Sony DSCH1 had the best reviews.

I found some amazing tips on the dcr site and have compiled them for the S2 (most of them are good for the S3 as well). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them or not because they are from another site (someone else's list). If someone could let me know, I'd post them in this thread?

Thanks!

I found some amazing tips on the dcr site and have compiled them for the S2 (most of them are good for the S3 as well). I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post them or not because they are from another site (someone else's list). If someone could let me know, I'd post them in this thread?

Thanks!

hi tapia. if you are unable to post them, can you please email them to me. i am looking at the S2 and S3. kim-meesook at juno dot com. thanks.

When I used the Canon S3, I adjusted the ISO to 200 for the second round of photos, and while they were better I was still a little disappointed in the amount of noise when I zoomed in. They were better, however, than just setting the camera to sports mode, which on a cloudy day probably shot at a very high ISO.

The Canon is a nice camera, but for the money I would have preferred better image quality. Popular Photography tested the camera and noted high noise at ISO levels above 200. I am begininning to think that this will be somewhat of a problem on all of these mega zooms, just by virtue of their construction. I did take some still pictures, and they were very nice although overly saturated, but the still indoor pictures I took were not impressive at all.

Hmmm... the noise shouldn't change depending on zoom level - are you using digital zoom?

Noise is more a function of the sensor than anything else. Some sensors are more sensitive to noise than others. Most p&s sensors are less than 1/2 inch wide, while most DSLR's are APS size which is just a bit smaller than 35mm film. The larger sensors have much less noise (because there is more light hitting each pixel.) This is also why more megapixels isn't always better. More MP in the same sensor size usually ends up with a noisier sensor.

thanks tapia.

No problem! I compiled a HUGE list myself.........I'm really excited about the camera & can see what you mean about the blurry-ness if you zoon in quickly. But, I'm usually okay if I press the shutter down 1/2 way, it focuses, and then it comes out good. Still, I have to finish reading the manual and some things on line.

Some other links:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/pss2is/101-e.html

Step-by-step from Canon

http://dpfwiw.com/processing.htm

Post-Processing Stuff

http://dpfwiw.com/index.htm

Batteries

http://dpfwiw.com/filters.htm#why

Filter Stuff

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html

Tons of Info there too

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7459&highlight=Canon

Cool Bird Thread

Some Stuff on noise:

"The S2’s raw images taken at ISO 400 are extremely noisy, and some reviewers suggest that this speed be avoided unless absolutely necessary. However, I’ve discovered that the simple (and free) program “Noiseware” does an excellent job of cleaning up the noise. At reasonable sizes (8 x 10, or less) it is difficult to see the difference between an image taken at ISO 50 and a “cleaned” image taken at ISO 400."

The software can be downloaded at: http://www.imagenomic.com/download.asp

*Sorry for the different colors/sizes*

I bought a Nikon D70S 2 weeks prior to our last Alaska cruise on the NCL Star last July. My 70-300 lens from my 35mm Nikon worked well with it. I also have a Nikon 3200 3.2 MP. 3:1 optical point and shoot. I use the 3200 for convenience indoors. I am totally please with my D70S I also have the SB600 flash unit. This camera is easy to use. I caught some wonderful pics of Marjorie glacier calving. I had the camera on fast frame advance. These pictures are now on my family room wall in sequence of events. I am not a camera guru so the automatic mode is what I use. This camera has produced some excellent pictures. I look forward to using it again when we sail on the NCL sun on July 15. during oiur cruise last year all of the ship's photographers were using the D70S. I guess if it is good enough for them it is good enough for me. By the way, the D50 is just a hair under the D70S, just a few bells and whistles misssing that I don't know if I would even use. I like the plastic guard over the LCD display on the D70S. Battery life is exceptional. Try www.dpreview.com for digital comparisons. It shows everything including reviews and MSRP's.

@ Suntan and any others that can answer: I bought the S3 IS for this trip to Alaska specifically (as well as other things, but mainly this). Do you think I would need a telephoto lense or a wide angle with this camera? I'm trying to decide which adaptor I should buy (the 52mm or the 58mm) and I can't come to a decision. I also want a polarizer and perhaps some other things.

Mainly, if you think I'd need the telephoto / wide angle, then I would have to get the 58 mm, otherwise, I'd get the 52 and go from there.

Do you think I should post this on the forum there? I know the discussion debating these lenses has happened many times, but I need someone who has taken these Alaska trips to answer. Also, I'm going to Brooks Falls, Whale Watching, Mt. McKinley trip..........if that will help :-)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Either carry enough Memory cards or invest in a transfer device to store your images. I very rarely take a laptop with me. I have used my iPod on more than several occasions to upload and store photos until I get home. My iPod stored over 2400 photos on my European cruise. Just the plain ole 40 Gig Pod. There are many other devices out there. Maybe someone can share their experiences here.

tinkerme1

Can you tell me how you transfer from camera to iPod and then from iPod to computer?

Thanks!

@ Suntan and any others that can answer: I bought the S3 IS for this trip to Alaska specifically (as well as other things, but mainly this). Do you think I would need a telephoto lense or a wide angle with this camera? I'm trying to decide which adaptor I should buy (the 52mm or the 58mm) and I can't come to a decision. I also want a polarizer and perhaps some other things.

Mainly, if you think I'd need the telephoto / wide angle, then I would have to get the 58 mm, otherwise, I'd get the 52 and go from there.

Do you think I should post this on the forum there? I know the discussion debating these lenses has happened many times, but I need someone who has taken these Alaska trips to answer. Also, I'm going to Brooks Falls, Whale Watching, Mt. McKinley trip..........if that will help :-)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The S3 IS already has a lot of zoom, so unless you have some specific requirements I'd say you won't need anything else on the lens. A circ. polarizer is probably a good idea.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

The S3 IS already has a lot of zoom, so unless you have some specific requirements I'd say you won't need anything else on the lens. A circ. polarizer is probably a good idea.

tinkerme1

Can you tell me how you transfer from camera to iPod and then from iPod to computer?

Thanks!

Hi Mandypup: We have been using a very simple Belkin Reader, which attaches to the iPod. My husband actually does the transfer. You can watch to make sure each picture is there, by confirming the number of pictures transferred. The Belkin Reader has all of the info for transfer. It has several different slots for SD card, Compact FC, etc. I find it the easiest way to upload pictures from the camera. There are many other devices out there too, so check with the Apple Stores or online. I simply prefer using the iPod I already own. It has worked many times, and very easy to use.:D

Thanks for posting!

Hi Mandypup: We have been using a very simple Belkin Reader, which attaches to the iPod. My husband actually does the transfer. You can watch to make sure each picture is there, by confirming the number of pictures transferred. The Belkin Reader has all of the info for transfer. It has several different slots for SD card, Compact FC, etc. I find it the easiest way to upload pictures from the camera. There are many other devices out there too, so check with the Apple Stores or online. I simply prefer using the iPod I already own. It has worked many times, and very easy to use.:D

Thanks Celia! I find that Apple is not very helpful in this, and their camera transfer cable gets very mixed reviews. I'll check out the Belkin.

Hi Everyone

This is a wonderful thread. I just finished reading all 12 pages.

I am looking to buy a new camera and need advice.

My Background: 20 years ago a shoot pics with my canon and lots of lens. Did my own b&W printing. Then 10 years ago a long came our daughter and a series of P&S. I also along the way became a full time wheelchair user, unable to stand.

Current Camera: 3 years ago I went digital Sony DSC-P9 which I really like. I took it to Alaska and came home with wonderful pics.

New Camera Plans: Originally I was looking at a Canon Rebel so I could use all my old lenses. When I was in the camera store I realized that I would have to shoot blind as I can not stand to get the shoot I want. I use the lcd screen to look while holding my camera up above where I am sitting. I have decided to get a new P&S digital. mainly for this reason and also I just do not want to work hard enough at photography any more. I have forgotten more then I ever new.

What I want in a new camera that I do not have in current Sony p9:

1. 10-12x optical zoom
  2. ability to use filters
  3. quicker time between pictures
  4. stabilizer

Please advise what camera you think would be best for me.

I am off to read all the articles you all have mentioned.

Jean

Jean, it is pretty clear that you know how to take pictures and have some experience and background. Getting exactly what you want may be hard, and you may have to "give up" some of your wish list to get a camera that will function well for you in a wheelchair.

One of the first considerations I would suggest, is a swivel LCD screen, so that you can move the camera position around until you get the shot you want. For this reason, I would look at the Canon S3-IS which is a brand new camera. It does mean having to get used to the buttons/settings, but it takes very good pictures. I used my friend's last week and loved it! As for filters, most digital cameras that are P&S don't have that capability, but I find enhancing photos in Photoshop Elements or CS2 is much better than using one. Part of the reason many don't use filters for their digital cameras. I actually own several and only use the circular polarizing one every once in a while.

Okay photo enthusiasts, let's help Jean out here......any other comments??

Hi Everyone

This is a wonderful thread. I just finished reading all 12 pages.

I am looking to buy a new camera and need advice.

My Background: 20 years ago a shoot pics with my canon and lots of lens. Did my own b&W printing. Then 10 years ago a long came our daughter and a series of P&S. I also along the way became a full time wheelchair user, unable to stand.

Current Camera: 3 years ago I went digital Sony DSC-P9 which I really like. I took it to Alaska and came home with wonderful pics.

New Camera Plans: Originally I was looking at a Canon Rebel so I could use all my old lenses. When I was in the camera store I realized that I would have to shoot blind as I can not stand to get the shoot I want. I use the lcd screen to look while holding my camera up above where I am sitting. I have decided to get a new P&S digital. mainly for this reason and also I just do not want to work hard enough at photography any more. I have forgotten more then I ever new.

What I want in a new camera that I do not have in current Sony p9:

1. 10-12x optical zoom
  2. ability to use filters
  3. quicker time between pictures
  4. stabilizer

Please advise what camera you think would be best for me.

I am off to read all the articles you all have mentioned.

Jean

Jean, I'm not a real pro or anything, but I just bought the Canon S3 IS (which is an advanced point and shoot).

It has #s 1, 2, and 4, but I'm not sure about #3....

I love my camera :-) even though I've only had it a couple of weeks.

Archived