Choice of Photography Equipment

jimcat

JSR

Are your old canon lenses EOS? If not, they won't work with the Rebel. We have an old Canon AE-1, and our old lenses won't work with our newer film cameras or the new Digital cameras. So thus, when I went Digital, it was a no brainer for me, I had to go Canon because I had bought several canon lenses already that were EOS.

I am a professional Wedding photographer, so I have lots of lenses, and Camera's. And I can tell you, you would love the Rebel, but there again, if your lenses won't work, it will be very costly for you. But the Rebel, would be much much faster than any point & shoot.

So, if they aren't EOS I would seriously consider the Canon s3 IS. I am actually, considering it myself. I hate how slow a p&S is, compared to my cameras. But I have tried it out, and it is pretty good. IT has a good zoom, another good one if you want wide angle, is the Canon s80, it doesn't zoom very far, but the wide angle shots are great. I have enlarged the older version S60, up to 11 x 14, and they are wonderful. There is a new one, I am thinking about too, it is the Canon SD700 IS, it is pretty quick. I was trying several out the other day. I am going on a cruise, this August, and as much as I love my fast cameras, I am on vacation, and I want a p&s. So, I am trying to decide which one to get.

Good luck

I got the Canon S3 for Mother's Day and was very unhappy with many aspects of the quality of the pictures. The shots were not clear and the color was off. After much research I decided to go with the Sony H1. They have since come out with the H2 and H5. Everyone has been very happy with the H1 (from online reviews) so I thought that since I needed the camera sooner than later I didn't want to wait for the newer models. I love this camera!! 10X better than the Canon. With the money I saved I bought a Sony telephoto lens, which gets me even closer. I am still learning, but the Sony H1 is fantastic!

Thanks for the input. You previous posts did give me some concerns about the Canon as did some of the reviews. I will check out the H1 again. I have a sony p9 which is a great P&S but no telephoto which I missed last time in Alaska.

Jean

I agree--if you're still with the S3 (my pictures have been great), I would go with a telephoto lens & wide angle lens.....so, counting even more pennies for me!

Used a 400mm in Denali.. would consider even doubling that.

Didn't use the 28mm.. stayed with a 40-80 zoom. Worked very well inside the park

There is a general softness to Canon pics which I think will not bother me but I understand how it would bother some. I am going to call my local camera store for pricing. I know I can do better on the internet but I want to give them a chance.

I am very interested in shooting on the glaciers where I think a wide angle would be great along with a polorizing filter. Wild life is fun too though I may get more opportunities on my own porch then in Alaska. (We have coyotes, bears and deer)

Jean

• 9 months later...
Well, I decided to purchase the Nikon D200 to augment my F5. It really is surprising how little time was needed for training. Within 10 minutes, I was up and shooting quality images and deleting the non-so-quality ones. :)

This camera is incredible and the feature set is so impressive. Going from file to digital seemed daunting, but not with this camera.

By the way, Costco does a very respectable job of printing (their luster finish is very nice) and even though they do not print NEF (RAW) files, they do JPEG and the color reproduction is quite nice.

If you are on the fence, go ahead and buy this body, you will not be disappointed!

Love my D200. I'm a beginner/casual photog and it's easy enough for me to use. Ergonomics is definitely one of its pluses.

But yeah, I bring our little Sony DSC-T1 along on trips too. Sometimes, it's just easier to whip out the P&S. Still, I find the DSLR easier to hold. The Sony's shape isn't very easy for me to hold or take pics with. Plus, like all P&S, it takes a really long time before it will actually take the pic. Zoom is almost nonexistent (just 3X) and is basically useless indoors.

Just saving my pennies for a proper flash for the DSLR.

Oh, and I agree about Costco being pretty impressive in regards to developing film. For our wedding, we used that real expensive pro film and took it to a pro film developing place (used a Nikon N90). Yes, pics ended up looking a bit nicer than the Costco ones, but totally not worth the price difference. Costco ones were quite good as well.

I'm a big fan of Canon cameras. My vote would be the S3IS for those that want a really good zoom reach with image stabilization without the fuss of a bigger DLSR. Simple to use much like a point & shoot, but much better pictures. Keep in mind, that you can use both automatic or manual settings. In the manual mode you have many options to tweak your shots. Does take some practice, but then again the beauty of digital is that you can erase what you don't like. As for speed of shots, it is a factor of both the camera processor as well as the speed of the memory card. Canon has a good chip in it. I also use only SanDisk Ultra II's because they are fast and the card is reliable

My knock on Sony is one thing-the proprietary Memory Stick. Unless you have a house full of other Sony products, I find the Memory Stick to be a real disadvantage. I want to use standard CF or SD memory cards that are adaptable just about anywhere and with any computer or printer

For Alaska, I will be packing the same gear I took on a safari to Africa last year. I was amazed at the pictures I got and I am still more of a beginner vs experienced. I will be using a Canon Digital Rebel XT with Sigma 18-200 mm base lens. I will also be using my Sigma 170-500mm lens unless I trade it in for a Canon 100-400IS which I really want. I also use a Moose Polarizing filter by Hoya (Moose Petersen) - do a search and check out - really good for wildlife and landscapes. I will also take a monopod and maybe my tripod. Pack all up in a Lowepro camera backpack that has built in laptop compartment. Laptop goes along for photo back-up and email. The Panasonic GS-PV500 video camera is also going along to capture just a few special events like glacier calving and whale watching

I can't believe this thread has surfaced again, but since I have switched all systems since it started, I will respond again!!!

I switched from my NIkon 8008s system and about 4 lenses, to a Nikon D50 with a NIkkor 18-200 VR lens and Nikon flash. This system is great and makes me see no reason to go back to film except I have about 30 rolls of film.

I have used this new digital system in Wash DC, and on Mexican cruise in Feb, in addition to a 1000 new grandson photos in last year. It does very nicely and I stil use on auto much of the time, with apperture priority the rest. Three 1 gig fast cards and that all I need. I still have all my old Nikkor lens but have found no reason to use except may use the 50mm 1.8 for low lite indoor shots. Also use monopod or tripod if shooting alone and have time. Working on posting Mexico album as soon as I figure out how to do slideshow on DVD for viewing on TV. Good shooting everyone.

I switched from my NIkon 8008s system and about 4 lenses, to a Nikon D50 with a NIkkor 18-200 VR lens and Nikon flash. This system is great and makes me see no reason to go back to film except I have about 30 rolls of film.

I switched from an N8008 to a D70 a couple of years ago and never regretted it. What other types of lenses did you have for the 8008? If you had a telefoto lens or a telefoto zoom you might consider bringing that to AK too. Sometimes (often?) days can be overcast and the 18-200mm lens probably doesn't have a very big aperture at 200mm. Just a thought.

I am bringing my 200mm f2.8 lens with me for sure. It is great for zooming and for overcast days. Sure it is bulky but not as bad as my friend's 600mm zoom :) .

It looks like many of you enjoy Canon products. About a year ago I purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5. It has both digital and optical zoom as well as a great stabilizer. I love this camera. The resolution is high enough to have plenty of photo to tweak when editting. It easily fits into most pockets if on the run and I like that too. I have a small (6") tripod which has been on many vacations and is great for timer photos due to its size and weight.

This camera does have video capability, however, I prefer to use my Canon Optura 20. It uses either SD or miniDV tapes. It has 16x optical zoom or 320x digital zoom capabilities, as well as a stabilizer. We have shot some wonderful videos and stills using this camera. It has been having audio difficulties on playback of miniDV tapes. I need to either have it repaired or replace it. If I replace it, does anyone have any suggestions?

I am looking for a monopod/trekking pole for our Alaska cruise tour. Any suggestions on a good collapsible model?

Thank you in advance!:D

For monopod I have a Manfrotto 679B. Collapses in sections, so can adjust height and is fairly lightweight. Don't think too expensive. The expensive ones are made of carbon fiber. Make sure it's not too lightweight or will defeat purpose of providing steady platform for shooting. My Manfrotto has a nice loop you put your hand through much like a ski pole so you don't lose it

I still have all my old Nikkor lens but have found no reason to use except may use the 50mm 1.8 for low lite indoor shots.

Which Nikkor lenses do you have that you are not using? Just curious.

John

What I want in a new camera that I do not have in current Sony p9:

1. 10-12x optical zoom
  2. ability to use filters
  3. quicker time between pictures
  4. stabilizer

Please advise what camera you think would be best for me.

I am off to read all the articles you all have mentioned.

Jean

Jean,

I am using the Panasonic FZ20 and LOVE it! It has everything you have mentioned above. You can go to my website below to see the results for yourself. I took over 8,000 in two weeks in China. I ended up posting over 1500 on my site:eek: I have used it in all kinds of conditions and all types of shooting.

The website I refer people to that helped me the most is dpreview.com They not only review every digital camera out they also have forums for each type so you can talk to real users of the cameras and get tricks and advice.

Hope this helps.

Nathan:)

I have been using my Canon 20D for almost 2 years. couldn't be happier. The only drawback (or advantage) of using dSLR is that I have to invest a lot for the lens.. :)

I was using Nikon N70 with 3 different lenses. When I went digital to my Panasonic FZ20 I liked it because I could get the same basic ranges with ONE lens! I don't lose a shot trying to changes lens. It accepts filters and is very lightweight. I couldn't be happier with it and I shoot alot of pictures weekly with it. I even print my own up to 13"x19" and the quality is very professional.

kwall17, the Canon 100-400L IS is a great lens. The IS really works and allows you take pictures that normally you'd need a tripod to achieve. It is a big heavy lens though. Also some people have problems with the push/pull zoom design, but for us old timers that's the way all zoom telephotos used to be.

I am bringing my Rebel XT with 70-300 IS, 17-85 IS and 10-22 lenses. I am trying to cover all my bases, but in a place like Alaska, I don't think you could have a long enough lens for some opportunities. The 100-400L IS would be a lot nicer to have; but 300 will have to do.

Mike, that's a nice kit. Be sure and bring plenty of CF cards as you'll be taking lots of pictures. The 70–300 IS gets good reviews and will be great at the glaciers; using the 70mm end for a wide view and then zooming in to 300mm when you detect a calving.

About the only thing missing is a fast f/1.8 or f/2 telephoto of 85, 100 or 135mm length for the evening programs. I'm not sure what rules the cruise line you're taking has for picture taking then, but HAL doesn't allow flash photography at the evening program.

Thanks OldCodger. I have a 70-200 F4L that worked great for the flashless shows on our Freedom of the Seas cruise last year. I am fixed for CF cards, 8 Gigs. I normally take about 2,000-3,000 pics per cruise; but I anticipate a lot of burst sequences in Alaska. Can't wait.:)

For monopod I have a Manfrotto 679B. Collapses in sections, so can adjust height and is fairly lightweight. Don't think too expensive. The expensive ones are made of carbon fiber. Make sure it's not too lightweight or will defeat purpose of providing steady platform for shooting. My Manfrotto has a nice loop you put your hand through much like a ski pole so you don't lose it

Thank you for the advice on the monopod. It will help me with my shopping. Do you ever wish that you had a swivel head mount on the monopod?:confused:

Archived