Dog Sledding Excursions

BrendaSJones525

I cannot commit on which is better as we have only done one from Juneau, but I will tell you my thought process.  The helicopter tour is often cancelled, so we booked Juneau as it was our first stop.  We figured if we got cancelled there, we could try to rebook in Skagway.   If we had stopped at Skagway first, we probably would have booked our tour there.  

1 hour ago, RSLeesburg said:

I cannot commit on which is better as we have only done one from Juneau, but I will tell you my thought process.  The helicopter tour is often cancelled, so we booked Juneau as it was our first stop.  We figured if we got cancelled there, we could try to rebook in Skagway.   If we had stopped at Skagway first, we probably would have booked our tour there.  

I was just about to say this. I’ll be in Skagway first on 5/13, then Juneau on 5/15. I thought it would be cooler to land on the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, but I’d much rather try my luck in Skagway first, and worst case scenario if it’s cancelled, I may be able to rebook in Juneau.

We did Juneau this past May and can’t compare the two but would note that from I recall from researching the two was Juneau excursion was 3 1/4 hours while Skagway was 2 hours. Id assume some of difference was flight time, time on top of glacier and probably some was travel time from cruise port to heliport. I also recall the Juneau was $100 more for the excursion. I also mention that once on glacier i wouldn’t be able to tell you if we were on Mendenhall or Denver Glacier and was surreal just being there standing on top of glacier with 7 ft of snow and 100’s of feet of ice below our feet.

We did read a lot about the excursion being cancelled and were concerned being the day we were in Juneau it was rainy and cloudy, but we flew as planned. If it were me I’d pick the port you’d want to do the excursion as I’d think trying to book spaces a day or two before the excursion as a back up plan Incase it was cancelled at first port would be though as we were told from Juneau they only take 9 groups (216 people) up a day.

I will say not only was the Helicopter dog sledding the best excursion we did in Alaska it was probably the best excursion I’ve ever been on and in my opinion it’s a can’t miss excursion and would do it again in a heartbeat.

72BE14AD-D555-4CDB-88AC-534B4E068091.jpeg

E7CA0BF8-D257-4989-933E-51CEB5EA7B0E.png