Helicopter Glacier Walk in Juneau

Cshell5

This past summer, I took a helicopter to Hubert Glacier where we walked around for a while. Marshal (our pilot / guide) provided information, answered questions, etc. Then we flew back to town over the Mendenhall.

It was through Coastal, which we booked via Orca, who did our Capt. Larry Whale watch, and they also coordinated transportation between those activities for us.

I was very happy with all aspects and happily recommend them both. :)

Has anyone used MGT ?(www.MightyGreatTours.com) - Their Helicopter w/Glacier walk is $185 pp :) - this is the best rate I could find so far.

I am interested in the 'shortest' flight and time on the Glacier - but I would like a tour that provides the necessary boots and rain gear - and pick up/return to the Pier?

We are on the Zaadam - June 30 sailing so will be in Juneau on July 2. The Zaadam docks at Noon - I thought 1:30PM would be best for the pick up at the Pier - after the flight there would be time for the Mt. Robert Tram and back to the ship in time for dinner. I'd appreciate comments on this company??? Thanks........

PS - HAL is charging $242 pp :eek:

Oh yes ... we have done this 2X before in prior years - rates have gone up & as we are taking our kids, it will be an expensive Shorex (which is why I am looking for a 'reasonable' rate)

(We did Capt. Larry's Whale Watch last May from the Sapphire.........it was great!)

We are on the Zaadam - June 30 sailing so will be in Juneau on July 2.

(We did Capt. Larry's Whale Watch last May from the Sapphire.........it was great!)

Hello Renee,

the world is small, isn´t it?

DW and I will be two weeks later in Juneau on Infinity.

My question is, what is great with a special "whale watching tour"?

Best wishes to DH

Peter

Has anyone used MGT ?(www.MightyGreatTours.com) - Their Helicopter w/Glacier walk is $185 pp :) - this is the best rate I could find so far.

I am interested in the 'shortest' flight and time on the Glacier - but I would like a tour that provides the necessary boots and rain gear - and pick up/return to the Pier?

We are on the Zaadam - June 30 sailing so will be in Juneau on July 2. The Zaadam docks at Noon - I thought 1:30PM would be best for the pick up at the Pier - after the flight there would be time for the Mt. Robert Tram and back to the ship in time for dinner. I'd appreciate comments on this company??? Thanks........

Oh yes ... we have done this 2X before in prior years - rates have gone up & as we are taking our kids, it will be an expensive Shorex (which is why I am looking for a 'reasonable' rate)

I checked the link and found it is actually www.mightygreattrips.com not tours.com. I've never done a glacier landing excursion, so this is simply my input. Others who have will be able to confirm if my observations are correct. You're right the cost is great, and looks like BIG savings. However in reading the description, I see that once you're on the glacier it's for only 15 minutes. Is that enough time? I just checked out NorthStar Trekking, and for $295 you get 1 hour on the glacier. Not sure if on this one less is better...and believe me, I love a bargain!

Sharon

They are a booking agent ONLY, do yourself a favor and book directly with the venders. There are 4 in Juneau, 1 in Skagway.

I checked the link and found it is actually www.mightygreattrips.com not tours.com. I've never done a glacier landing excursion, so this is simply my input. Others who have will be able to confirm if my observations are correct. You're right the cost is great, and looks like BIG savings. However in reading the description, I see that once you're on the glacier it's for only 15 minutes. Is that enough time? I just checked out NorthStar Trekking, and for $295 you get 1 hour on the glacier. Not sure if on this one less is better...and believe me, I love a bargain!

Sharon

No these are two totally different tours. You do not need a lot of time on the glaciers and it has been up to 45 mins. in my trips, more usually 30. Still plenty of time to walk about and get the feel of all the ice. A big part of these tours is the viewing - the landing is only part. It is definately the way to see glaciers and the vastness of Alaska.

And also, there are few if any people who would say an hour trek would be adquate. it's not, with the 4 hour usually recommended here. I glacier hiked for close to 5 hours and that time flew by. Usually the 2 hour trips have raves but most always were lacking in time and they wished they had taken the 4 hour trip.

Thanks for the information Budget Queen - I have 'landed on a glacier' 2X - and for the needs this time (DD & SIL) - 20 - 30 mins. will be enough for the experience!

I have looked atdirect sites - the price is more than quoted by MGT :confused:

I also I want to be picked up at the Pier - -Which vendor do you suggest I contact directly for a 'short' tour at a reasonable price? Coastal?? Appreciate your help!

Hi Peter - We did Capt. Larry's Whale Watching in May 2005 - He runs an excellent tour - with a small group - you will see whales very up close and personal - it's a nice ride....he's a nice character! If this is your first time in Alaska there are other experiences (I would think) more interesting....depends on what you want to see and do (and your 'pocketbook') some of the Tours offerred are just too expensive for us! .......we had been to Alaska before but had never done the 'Whale Watching' - so we tried it. Best regards :D from Renee & Lyman

After surfing and re-reading the information - I came to the conclusion that TEMSCO Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter & Guided Walk @ $199 pp is the (same) tour offerred by HAL @$242.

The Coastal Icefield Excursion @ $192 does not land on Mendendall although it is the same amount of time.

All the Helicopter tours from Juneau are the same price for the same tour....of course they have all decided pricing together for the 2006 season. ;)

No bargains to be had - but you can save a bit by booking direct - which is what I plan to do! :)

Hope you agree with me Budget Queen.

After surfing and re-reading the information - I came to the conclusion that TEMSCO Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter & Guided Walk @ $199 pp is the (same) tour offerred by HAL @$242.

The Coastal Icefield Excursion @ $192 does not land on Mendendall although it is the same amount of time.

All the Helicopter tours from Juneau are the same price for the same tour....of course they have all decided pricing together for the 2006 season. ;)

No bargains to be had - but you can save a bit by booking direct - which is what I plan to do! :)

Hope you agree with me Budget Queen.

I never use ship tours. :) For clairfication, I have landed on several glaciers on Juneau helicopter trips. None better than the other in my opinion. Glaciers are in a constant state of change and your landing will be unique and breath taking. Enjoy this wonderful experience. It is probably my top Alaska tour choice.

Archived