Bed Bugs Attack!

RobNC2001

There is a recent story about the epidemic of "bed bugs" sweeping the nation. It is probably only a matter of time until we see this extending to cruise ships. I've never had a problem (and hopefully never will!)

Link to article:

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?c=MGArticle&cid=1137833585900&pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle

We have friend that were on the grand Princesses in the fall and they had bed bugs. They were always itchy and finally clued in that they had bed bugs in their cabin on the second to last day of the cruise. They notified the purser, but nothing was done to correct the problem !!!!

There is a recent story about the epidemic of "bed bugs" sweeping the nation. It is probably only a matter of time until we see this extending to cruise ships.

Been there, done that... A few ships had some well publicized "bed bug problems" last year.

There is a recent story about the epidemic of "bed bugs" sweeping the nation. It is probably only a matter of time until we see this extending to cruise ships.]

You should do a cruise critic search. I'm sure it's there! YUK

-Monte

Wow! Wouldn't that SUCK! :eek:

(literally :p )

I can't stand that thought !

Bed bugs disgust me and I'm hyper paranoid whenever I stay in a hotel and now on cruises......:(

That was funny. There was a story on a radio show that I listen to about a tv reporter going to hotels with a black light and showing the "stains" on the various surfaces of the room. He said it almost drove him to take his own plastic bed protector and sheets to hotels with him. That way he'd be protected from the "DNA soup" that was present on almost every horizontal surface of the rooms they looked at!

Wraithe

I have a pretty high tolerance level for most things - but not vermin :mad:

I'll be checking my mattress VERY carefully when we board the AOS this weekend......that black light doesn't sound like a bad idea :rolleyes:

Yes.. unfortuantely they are a big problem now and have shown up on cruises. The reason being - international travel. Also the pesticides that they used back in the 40's to irraticaticate bugs are no longer used.

So, how can you tell if you are in a hotel/cabin that's been infested? A couple of things. One - take off all the sheets and check the mattress, crevices and the bed frame for black markings. Turn off the lights and use a flashlight and run it along the baseboard looking for movement. They are about the size of small sesame seed. You can look at websites for what they look like.

These are a big problem and are on a comeback. They can be easily picked up and brought home from anywhere. You don't feel them and they are hard to detect. It has nothing to do with filth - all types of environments are suspect. Things to do to try and prevent bringing them home - check luggage, shoes, clothing etc.. before you come back. You can't just shake them off. It is very costly to get rid of them so it's important to check everything.

If you think I'm parinoid of them you are correct. My daughter unknowingly brought them home from a trip to Myrtle Beach. I check everything now and take my own pillow and strip the beds and inspect. So far I haven't come across any on a cruise and hope I never do.

Archived