Concierge to aqua

sweetpickels

On 4/25/2019 at 5:08 PM, ghstudio said:

The "rule" (policy?) is that if cabin prices change after final payment, you can ask to move to a different category cabin as long as the new cabin cost is at least $1 more than you have paid (note PAID...not the current price of your current cabin).

That has not been my experience.  My May Alaska cruise has had very large price drops.  My TA got me moved from my choice 1A cabin to the CC cabin of my choice (same type of location, thus same large balcony), increased my perks from 2 to 4, and it was still under the price I had originally paid for the 1A.  We did not do this through the Move Up program, so I will get the points for a CC cabin.

• 2 weeks later...

My TA has just called me and offered to bump me up to Aqua class for no additional $. I would move from deck 9 to 11 is this something that you would do? Seems like a no brainer Im just curious as to why they would do this anything that I should be concerned with on deck 11?

On 4/26/2019 at 6:24 PM, TFree said:

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I am not sure there is still such a rule.  We are sailing on Reflection in a month, and we were booked in a Sky Suite.  At least in part because there are many more suites on Reflection than on other S Class ships, we took advantage of 4 price drops before final payment.  They still had lots of unsold suites, so as I had guessed would happen, they dropped prices again after final payment.  One morning I got up and found that there was one Celebrity Suite available, and its price had dropped to $100 pp less than what we had already paid for the Sky Suite.  Our reservation was "owned" by the big box store travel agent, so I immediately called them, explained what we wanted to do, and I prepped them for the fact that they might have to push back if Celebrity were to argue that we can't get the upgrade because of the "$1 rule."

As soon as the TA got Celebrity on the phone, the upgrade for no charge was approved.  The TA reported that the $1 rule was not even mentioned.  So the rule either no longer exists, or at any rate it does not seem to be uniformly enforced.  

Tom & Judy

The "$1 rule" has been mentioned so many times on this board, people take it as gospel.  It's not.  I don't think it ever existed.  Or perhaps some TA told his/her client that and they reported it here and it took off.  I have upgraded several categories without paying a cent.

1 hour ago, sweetpickels said:

My TA has just called me and offered to bump me up to Aqua class for no additional $. I would move from deck 9 to 11 is this something that you would do? Seems like a no brainer Im just curious as to why they would do this anything that I should be concerned with on deck 11?

I would jump on that free upgrade!!!

29 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

The "$1 rule" has been mentioned so many times on this board, people take it as gospel.  It's not.  I don't think it ever existed.  Or perhaps some TA told his/her client that and they reported it here and it took off.  I have upgraded several categories without paying a cent.

I have as well taken advantage of price drops and upgraded cabin category for no additional money. The first time we sailed Aqua we had been in Concierge  and  there was a drop making Aqua the same price we'd paid. My TA could either give us the drop and we'd lose $100 of our OBC, or upgrade us to Aqua and we'd keep everything.