Any misgivings about cruising the Caribbean in October, November re: hurricanes?

tce40

On 5/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, baggal said:

How do you handle rough seas?  Yes, the ship may sail and not take a direct hit from a hurricane, but the seas can still be very rough on your itinerary.  No sense going on a cruise if you can't leave your cabin.  I once lost 6 lbs. on a cruise when the captain tried to evade a "rogue" storm in early December in the Caribbean.  Couldn't manage more than a a green apple (great to alleviate motion sickness) and  tea for days.  

I personally avoid cruising  the entire East Coast of the U.S. all the way up to the Canadian Maritimes as well as the Caribbean during hurricane season,  August through November.  But that's me.

A 6 lb drop certainly indicates not a fun cruise. Usually 6 lbs up or more. Sorry that was a bad one.As for how to handle it. Depends if you always get get sick with the rough seas. Take normal precaution for sea sickness. As for picking a cabin if you are prone to seasickness. Lowest deck mid ship. No where else. Get at lest and OV cabin. Never inside. Stay on a deck with windows. Start to feel a bit under the weather. Concentrate looking at the horizon it should go away. The higher you go the worst it gets.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

A 6 lb drop certainly indicates not a fun cruise. Usually 6 lbs up or more. Sorry that was a bad one.As for how to handle it. Depends if you always get get sick with the rough seas. Take normal precaution for sea sickness. As for picking a cabin if you are prone to seasickness. Lowest deck mid ship. No where else. Get at lest and OV cabin. Never inside. Stay on a deck with windows. Start to feel a bit under the weather. Concentrate looking at the horizon it should go away. The higher you go the worst it gets.

Luckily (knock on wood), I don't tend to get sea sick.  I lived on the Gulf Coast in Texas for about 15 years so have definitely weathered my fair share of hurricanes and tropical storms.  Not afraid of them but not sure I want to deal with the stress of one but if I see a good deal on a cruise, I may have to jump.  I sincerely appreciate everyone's input to this thread!