Just booked Allure for July. So many questions.

I’m excited to be getting back on a ship after 4 years and my first time on an Oasis class.  Now that we are booked (family of 4 w/ 15 & 20 yr olds), I have many questions about restaurant/activity/excursion packages, beverage packages, internet packages, etc., etc.  I know so much can be done in advance so I wonder if I am at a real disadvantage by not securing certain things in advance?  I was told there would be a sale on shore excursions, dining/beverage packages, etc. starting on 5/8.  What packages are “worthwhile” and which ones may not be worth purchasing?  I know this is somewhat subjective and I’m sure somewhere out here on CC is all sorts of valuable info but if I could get some info/insight or directed by savvy members as to where some of these answers are, that would be appreciated.

Thanks.

If you book something and see a lower price later you can cancel and rebook at the lower price.

Soda  packages are the same price on board.

We have found the internet cheaper to purchase pre cruise.

there are many reputable shore excursion companies that offer better, smaller tours than Royal does for less money.

Thanks, Ken.  Do you have any good resources for these “reputable shore excursion companies”?

Yes, Phoenix, this July 7.  I don’t really know when I plan to board at this point.  I will say I would likely try to get on board as soon as possible as I think I am driving down and will arrive the night before.  Surely some of us late to the party can still get times somewhere.

9 minutes ago, jrod said:

Thanks, Ken.  Do you have any good resources for these “reputable shore excursion companies”?

Yes, Phoenix, this July 7.  I don’t really know when I plan to board at this point.  I will say I would likely try to get on board as soon as possible as I think I am driving down and will arrive the night before.  Surely some of us late to the party can still get times somewhere.

Look in the ports of call forum, you will see many of the same tour operators name appear repeatedly on many of the ports.

We have found some that take no money up front and most will offer complete refunds up to 24 hours prior to the tour and if the ship fails to make it to the port they will also offer a complete refund.

JRod, you're going to love Allure!

I've been on Oasis class 5 times,  I usually cruise with a group of around 20 people and I'm in charge of planning... 

Here are some suggestions... 

1. Do a search for "Allure cruise compass + your itinerary" (for example "Allure cruise compass 7 day western Caribbean").  Find the latest cruise compass by date and either save it or print it out.

2. On Allure (and other Oasis class), you will want to book your shows very soon.  The cruise compasses uploaded by other very helpful cruise lovers will have a weekly schedule of the shows PLUS the shows that will not be listed in your reservations options (such as Love and Marriage, The Quest, 70s disco night and etc).  Armed with the weekly show schedule, you can figure out what you do when.  Usually, if you want to do most of the shows, you can schedule them by the process of self-elimination.  Start with headliner shows (which are usually very good) and then go through the rest in order that you are interested in them.

3. Once you know the shows, decide if you want to reserve dinner times or just wing it.  We usually do My Time Dining but then reserve dinner times based on the shows we reserved and times in port.  Again, this is based on a group of people that loves to eat at the main dining room every night.  If you want to go low key, go to Windjammer and there is plenty of good food to eat.  If you want something nicer, you can reserve (and pay extra) for specialty dining.  No right or wrong answer... Just personal preferences.

4. Internet packages - if you want internet, get it beforehand.  I've done both and it's always cheaper to get it before.

5. Drink packages - do a CruiseCritic search for "drink package" on RCCL board and you can read for the next week about them.  The gist - at about 4-5 drinks per day, you break even.  If you drink that amount, a drink package makes sense.  If not, buy individually.  If you buy it ahead, you'll save money off on-board pricing.

6. Dining package - it depends on your personal preferences.  Food is subjective and it's another search you can do and spend a week reading.  If you prefer 4-5 star restaurants, a dining package may be for you.  3 star - main dining room is about right.  Buffet, fast food and lower grade restaurants = Windjammer buffet.  I love cooking and we usually eat at the main dining room and find something that we really enjoy.

7. Shore excursions - Out of 15 cruises so far, the only ones I booked through the cruise were on my first cruse... when I didn't know any better.  You can do a Google search and find the same excursions for a lot less directly.  Best way to find them?  Go to each specific port of call forum here on Cruise Critic and do a search for what interests you.  For example, go to "St. Thomas" forum and search for "snorkeling" (one of our most favorite places to snorkel :-)).  You will have a ton of suggestions from fellow cruisers on different places to check out.

8. RCCL's sales... What can I say?  They package the same animal with different names every week.  One week, it's buy one get one 50% off, next week, it's 25% off for everybody.  You do the math... It's usually very close.  As Ourusualbeach meantioned, if you buy something and it goes lower, you can cancel it and rebook.  Many times, it's within a few dollars so it's not even worth the hassle.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Kat

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jrod said:

... Do you have any good resources for these “reputable shore excursion companies”? ...

TripAdvisor is a good resource.

I would get into your cruise planner and see what is available. Do you have MTD or a fixed dining time? If you have MTD do you want to make reservations or just wing it? You can see what shows are available and decide if they interest you or not. The Aqua show is definitely worth seeing and it usually books up. I would also suggest you join your roll call so you can contact others on your sailing to see what excursions they are planning. If you think you want beverage or internet packages I would go ahead and order them and then you can cancel and rebook if prices drop. Also, download the RC app. It doesn't have everything loaded ahead of time but you can see menus and many of the on board activities. I hope this helps! Happy planning!

Great advice from Mentor1000.

** I will second the advice that you can buy now and cancel before cruise for full refund if price goes down (on RC excursions/packages).  So if you see something you like, buy it and watch price to see if it goes down.

** Sales?? LOL...It seems each week I get a new email about "Great Savings" and most of the time, it's the same stuff on a sale but for the same bottom line.  So just watch/read emails, but be aware.

** Shore excursions...Yes book with private companies if you can.  Read the reviews.  We had great luck in Europe with private companies and got smaller groups (private 2 times) for less money.

** But most of all...Have a great trip!!!