Taxis available at the port when arriving in New Orleans?

Bestbubba

I posted in the ports of call forum but thought I'd try here too. We are on the American Queen at the moment, Memphis to New Orleans. (as a side note, this is our first time on AQ and it has exceeding our expectations ten fold, it's amazing and we're loving every minute. ) So my question is, when we dock on Monday, will there be taxis /Uber at the dock to take us to our FQ hotel? On-board we're being told we really need to take the AQ shuttle, at a cost, to the Riverside Hotel and get a taxi from there. Can anyone shed any light on this? Many thanks in advance. 

The high water might effect where the boat lands, but normally the AQ docks at the Riverwalk next to the Hilton Hotel. Taxis can not get to this location. The closest and most convenient location that you,  taxis and Uber can get is at the main entrance to the Hilton at the foot of Poydras Street. It an easy walk but involves using  elevators and/or escalators, winding from the boat through the Riverwalk shopping mall, crossing over the railroad tracks (via enclosed walkway) and through the hotel to its entrance. If the shuttle were free that would be your easiest way to go, and would involve a three block bus ride. But since it costs, I would hoof it over to the Hilton's entrance.

What hotel are you staying at? In the past I've walked from the boat to nearby hotels, but with the remodeling of the ITM Building at the foot of Canal St.  that could present some problems.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I spoke to the purser today and she gave me a map. She said the walk was easy and we'd have no problems. So taking your advice, and hers, we're hoofing it!

We are having such a good time, anyone thinking about taking an American Queen Steamboat cruise, do it! For us, after 30 years of ocean cruises, AQ knocks them out of the water! 

Update! We disembarked yesterday. Here's what we did.

Turn right as you leave the boat, walk alongside the river, enter the mall at the doors opposite the iron staircase structure (the shops weren't open yet so you can't enter through them) , walk straight through and exit, you will be at the Avis return area. Takes all of 5 minutes, perfectly flat, no stairs, very easy.

We ordered an Uber and were checking in to our hotel (Mazarin, delightful) within 20 minutes of leaving the American Queen.

Hope this is helpful and thanks again to Calliope for responding to my question which gave us the confidence to walk off independently. 

Thank you for passing along your plan of action.  I had no idea about accessing the Avis return area, and it sounds brilliant! 

Enjoy your stay in The City Care Forgot. It's America's most European city.

On 5/14/2019 at 11:16 AM, Calliope said:

Thank you for passing along your plan of action.  I had no idea about accessing the Avis return area, and it sounds brilliant! 

Enjoy your stay in The City Care Forgot. It's America's most European city.

Sorry for the delay in replying, we've been having such a great time in New Orleans! We fly home today, it's been an unforgettable trip.