Paid Upgrade on NCL

nothing89

Dear all, could anyone advise how NCL paid upgrades work after final payment.

Is it the total cost of new upgrade -and which component of it if I may ask? - has to be more than total of final payment amount I've paid (including all free at sea gratuities, pre-paid gratuities)?

Because I've booked an Alaska Cruise on Jewel through NCL webpage last year and I just tried calling in to get a paid upgrade from IF (Inside) with UBP free at sea promo (Base Fare per person USD839 excluding gratuities) to a Balcony with take all offer (Current Fare per person USD849 excluding gratuities) and was told I was not allowed. Hence, I suggested MX (Base fare USD1049 and with taxes USD 2,600+ excluding pre-paid gratuities vs my final payment of USD 2,500+) which was also rejected by the NCL rep. :(

Of course the rep said I could upgrade to MB and so forth where the current Base Fare per person is USD1149.

11 hours ago, nothing89 said:

Dear all, could anyone advise how NCL paid upgrades work after final payment.

Is it the total cost of new upgrade -and which component of it if I may ask? - has to be more than total of final payment amount I've paid (including all free at sea gratuities, pre-paid gratuities)?

Because I've booked an Alaska Cruise on Jewel through NCL webpage last year and I just tried calling in to get a paid upgrade from IF (Inside) with UBP free at sea promo (Base Fare per person USD839 excluding gratuities) to a Balcony with take all offer (Current Fare per person USD849 excluding gratuities) and was told I was not allowed. Hence, I suggested MX (Base fare USD1049 and with taxes USD 2,600+ excluding pre-paid gratuities vs my final payment of USD 2,500+) which was also rejected by the NCL rep. 😞

Of course the rep said I could upgrade to MB and so forth where the current Base Fare per person is USD1149.

Was your original booking sail away or the price of the balcony sail away? 

If both were not call again and you definitely would get the upgrade. You won’t get the new perks but will keep the ones you had originally.. Although I did get $50 in extra OBC when I went from an OV to Balcony on my June Escape Cruise..

how many people are there. they calculate an upgrade only on first 2 persons in the cabin and third/fourth fare stay the  same. i was just trying to do an upgrade for 3 people from one type of balcony to the better one. but while total price is just a little bit higher they upped the prices for first 2 people and lowered for the third in the room so an upgrade was too costly

3 minutes ago, dubroben22 said:

how many people are there. they calculate an upgrade only on first 2 persons in the cabin and third/fourth fare stay the  same. i was just trying to do an upgrade for 3 people from one type of balcony to the better one. but while total price is just a little bit higher they upped the prices for first 2 people and lowered for the third in the room so an upgrade was too costly

That makes no sense that they would do that.. The 3rd and 4th person rate is $649 in every category. You should simply just be required to pay the fare difference times 2. 

I would call back and speak to a different agent.

Did you book through NCL or a TA?

Our roll call group just just helped somebody do the same thing and he got a free upgrade from a Balcony to a Mini Suite. You will not get additional perks however.

i agree HockeyDAD

they only asked me to pay fare difference times 2 100X2=200

but when i booked 3rd person on my trip was 499+taxes

now it is 349+taxes

so while the total cost for 3 people is only $50 different , NCL wanted $200 for upgrade and it is not worth it

I spoke with my PCC (who is always super helpful) , who talked to his supervisor.

Thank you all for your input. (:

For better clarity:

1. We're travelling as a couple (2 person in cabin only)

2. Book directly on NCL website and called in to NCL direct. (Not through any TA)

3. Fully paid up (past final payment)

The main question I'm pondering over is:

1. Since I've paid in full for my IF stateroom with free at sea UBP (UBP gratuities, pre-paid gratuities, and taxes all paid up); I was wondering if the total bill of the upgrade has to be more than the total IF amount I paid in order to be eligible for an upgrade?

2. Or is it just my initial IF base fare vs a higher base fare from upgrade category stateroom (non sail away rate) would suffice to be eligible for an upgrade?

1 hour ago, nothing89 said:

Thank you all for your input. 🙂

For better clarity:

1. We're travelling as a couple (2 person in cabin only)

2. Book directly on NCL website and called in to NCL direct. (Not through any TA)

3. Fully paid up (past final payment)

The main question I'm pondering over is:

1. Since I've paid in full for my IF stateroom with free at sea UBP (UBP gratuities, pre-paid gratuities, and taxes all paid up); I was wondering if the total bill of the upgrade has to be more than the total IF amount I paid in order to be eligible for an upgrade?

2. Or is it just my initial IF base fare vs a higher base fare from upgrade category stateroom (non sail away rate) would suffice to be eligible for an upgrade?

I think it's just base fare since everything else should be the same, since you are keeping all the same perks. The service charges for something like the drink package is the same no matter what cabin type you are in. The key is, you couldn't upgrade to a SailAway rate, because then you wouldn't be keeping the same perks.

5 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I think it's just base fare since everything else should be the same, since you are keeping all the same perks. The service charges for something like the drink package is the same no matter what cabin type you are in. The key is, you couldn't upgrade to a SailAway rate, because then you wouldn't be keeping the same perks.

Yup, that was what I thought. But the NCL rep said I couldn't.

The ID (interior) base fare I paid for was USD839 while the current BD base fare was USD849. My thought was that given, the other perks and taxes constant or with a slight increase (given take all offer), with this increase.. I should be able to upgrade but  they said I was not eligible for this category. Of course the rep offer other upsells such as a much more expensive stateroom upgrade MB etc. USD600-1K+.

So i'm kinda confused now on what are the components NCL take into account for upgrade eligibility.. this will allow us to better monitor price drops and eligibility before calling in.