ETA for Canada

PAMJP

Cruising Southampton round trip Canada and New England cruise later this year. Already have our Esta for USA, looked on Canada ETA requirement and believe as we arrive on cruise ship into Canada don't need one as we don't fly in or out. Have I understood this right? Spoken to Princess and the agent agreed it was unclear!  Suggested I asked on here as Cruise Critic Community are a wealth of information.  Thanks for any help.

This is the info supplied by Princess in the Cruise Personalizer for my cruise disembarking in Quebec City:

CANADIAN VISA REQUIREMENTS

If you are not an Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, UK or U.S. citizen, you may require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit or transit Canada. To verify if you require a TRV, please contact your local Canadian consulate or visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp. Please be aware that the visa must be obtained regardless of whether you choose to remain on board or go ashore.
If you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen and are arriving in Canada by air, you may require an Electronic Travel Authority (eTA) even if you do not require a TRV. To determine if you require an eTA, please contact your local Canadian consulate or visit http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.asp.

Going to that Canada Government website and selecting 'British Passport' as travel document the results are crystal clear that only if you are flying into Canada is an eTA necessary.