Photo Review: Quantum of the Seas - 7N Best of Japan Cruise - 23 June 2019

Keep loving the pics of the lifts,I do wonder if they are repeated on her 2 sister ships or are they all different!

Soon after we booked this cruise one of the Vietnam ports was dropped,which was slightly annoying,the sweetner was it meant an 'overnighter' in Hong Kong,well we actually leave HK at 0200hrs so it isn't really an overnighter but it does at least mean we can see the night market & the light show.

Some months later we booked a repo cruise on Anthem from New York,calling at Halifax,Ponta Delgas,Cobh & Le Havre before landing in Southampton in April 2020,soon after booking we were told that Halifax had been dropped as 'the Atlantic can be rough in Winter',no sweetner this time,if you are not happy £150 to change to another cruise or cancel & lose the deposit.

My request to RCI for some sort of compensation in the way of OBC for example or to use the deposit toward the soon due balance on the October Quantum cruise were met with a letter telling me that they don't always call at all ports on an itinerary,how they have to make a profit & how I can enhance the cruise via the cruise planner,just when I am looking for something from them they are after more from us!

As a result we have decided to cancel,we would rather lose the money we have already paid than pay them any more,along with the decision not to cruise again,OK we are not avid cruisers but sometimes one takes our fancy,as these 2 RCI ones did,to get the impression that it is very likely that the end product won't be as we booked is certainly a turn off IMO.

Just to add insult to injury a couple of weekd ago I recieved an email from RCI confirming my cancellation of my Dining reservations on Quantum,giving a detailed list,when I queried this with them their reply was that they had no record of my making the reservations in the first place,quite mind numbing IMO!

They certainly have some making up to do!

11 hours ago, nekzaadvakil said:

Its funny you mentioned it. RCCL's land based service has been awful. If their ships and on board staff were not so good, they would have lost my business a long time ago. We had a horrible experience, where we had booked our future cruises on board, and were told that we could change them anytime, but could not cancel them since they gave us onboard credit. The land staff refused to honour this and I ended up losing 4-5 bookings. 

I stopped entering the future cruise section on the cruiseship after that. 

IMG_0607.jpg.67b5e336e52cc0db94e25e0ee449a455.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to share.  We are doing a cruise next year and you reviews are so helpful.  When we get off the ship in Yokohama following a couple of days stay down by Haneda Airport we fly up to Sapporo for a 9 day tour back down to Tokyo.  We are there at the beginning of May so hope to see some cherry blossom up North.  Happy planning. Sue

Thanks for a great review.  I really enjoyed your cultural take on everything, especially as we've visited India, China, and Japan quite a bit!  Good call in booking a land based, independent, Japan trip.  Japan is our favorite place to visit and we've been doing it on our own once a year since 2004, we just love it so much!

Thank you so much for this excellent trip report/review. I know it has been a while, but do you recall how long it took for disembarkation? I know you put your bags out, but do you recall if they gave the option for self-disembarkation? We are trying to catch a 3:30 pm flight from Beijing and have a pick up set for 9:30. Just trying to figure out if this is doable.

Thanks so much! We leave August 9 and I plan to post a review. Thanks!

Jen

19 hours ago, cruisinpoler said:

Thank you so much for this excellent trip report/review. I know it has been a while, but do you recall how long it took for disembarkation? I know you put your bags out, but do you recall if they gave the option for self-disembarkation? We are trying to catch a 3:30 pm flight from Beijing and have a pick up set for 9:30. Just trying to figure out if this is doable.

Thanks so much! We leave August 9 and I plan to post a review. Thanks!

Jen

Hi Jen,

Yup, like all our previous cruises, there was an option for self-debarkation (express departure) . It was fairly easy and on time. They gave priority to people who had early flights and you could ask for that earlier slot if you wished. The entire process was very very easy, there were no lines at immigration and we were out in less than 20 minutes. I was very impressed with the overall process, we had heard horror stories of long lines, people cutting lines, and we had no such issues at all. 

IMG_2748.jpg.d974f086912f068e8c54e29461c569fb.jpg

The Quantum of the Seas is an amazing ship and her staff is absolutely wonderful. They will go out of their way to delight you. Looking forward to the review too. 

Cheers!

Nick

Edited by nekzaadvakil