Once Discounted Flight, Always Disounted Flight

stevendom57

I am trying to decide whether to book now or later. I have my reasons for wanting to wait.

Currently, this cruise has the special deal of all 5 all at sea perks plus discounted airfare. If I wait, I realize that the special may be to get only 2 of the perks. That is fine with me. But will the discounted airfare benefit likely go away? That is worth a lot of money.

Steven

This all 5 at sea perk has been out there since January or February.

Obviously, it could change, but it reminds me a lot of the deals at some stores that mark up prices only to offer discounts that bring it to where it should be.  Obviously, in high volume times they will eliminate, but they've been there a while now.

That said, check to make sure that your airport is included (not all are).  Also, know if you book the discounted airfare, you're completely at the mercy of NCL on your flights.  I've seen horror stories of 30 minute connections in places like O'Hare and Atlanta that are downright impossible to make, and there isn't much you can do about it.  And they told me that they will only book for flights for the day of departure, so if you are planning to sightsee either before or after, or plan to take an overnight in a local hotel before boarding, that won't necessarily be possible.

With all of this said, I would recommend booking now.  Lock in the price and deals.  If you check back and the prices fall, you can always call up and rebook to the new price later, and your down payment will carry over.  I've already done that once for my trip, and saved $100 pp and added all the perks, so its worth it as long as you're diligent.

@Beardface I spoke to NCL and found that you can pay $25 pp to arrive one day early using the NCL arranged airfare. Apparently you can arrive as early as 2 days this way.

The complication is that I am already closer than 120 days for this new sailing. Therefore I have to pay in full. The long story is that I am considering a GTY room and I found if, after room assigment I hate the room, I can pay the difference and chose the room myself. My concern is that the airfare will go away and I will be stuck with fewer perks (no big deal) and have to buy my own airfare, which is much more expensive.

What to do.. what to do..

@stevendom57 hah, I figured you were talking about your Getaway cruise in your signature.

Hmm, then maybe it depends on how much the difference in airfare is, and whether that makes it worth just booking now.  At that point, if you do lose the airfare, it might not matter if the prices fall.

14 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

@Beardface I spoke to NCL and found that you can pay $25 pp to arrive one day early using the NCL arranged airfare. Apparently you can arrive as early as 2 days this way.

The complication is that I am already closer than 120 days for this new sailing. Therefore I have to pay in full. The long story is that I am considering a GTY room and I found if, after room assigment I hate the room, I can pay the difference and chose the room myself. My concern is that the airfare will go away and I will be stuck with fewer perks (no big deal) and have to buy my own airfare, which is much more expensive.

What to do.. what to do..

If you have a GTY cabin it can be assigned at any time even within a day or so of the cruise.  There may be little to choose from at that time if any

It's a moot point anyway. Just checked the web site and that cruise is not listed anymore. Must have sold out. I found a similar cruise, northbound Alaska out of Seattle instead of southbound where I can pick my room that leaves on day earlier.