Ovation Kids Club Questions

We will be sailing June 21st to Alaska with my brother and his three kids, 8, 10 and 11. I have been reviewing most of the current threads regarding the start of Ovations Alaska sailings but there isn't much as far as the kids clubs. I have only sailed Carnival when my children were small so I wanted to know if some of the things are similar. 

These kids are very outgoing and very much into sports and activities so I am not thinking they will balk at participating. I already have them signed up for IFly, Northstar and Pixels. The two older already know how to surf so they keep thinking they will spend all their time at the wave pool. 🙄 I keep telling them there is a lot to do. So here are my questions.

On the first night is there a "Kids Club Sign Up"? and if so what time should we expect this? Do the kids stay a short time or come back later for an activity? 

Are there planned night activities so the parents can eat a meal out? If so what are the usual times? We have offered to keep an eye on them one or two nights but it would be nice to have an evening out with all of the adults.

The activities, such as bumper cars and skating, do any of the older kids clubs have a set time that they take the kids to these? 

Are there Kid activities that cost extra? Such as design a tshirt or make a bear? 

Ok I think that is it. Any help would be appreciated. I'll look at some of the other reviews for other ships but trying to get as close an idea with the Ovation to share with him as possible. 

The first night is just the sign up time. Kids go with parents and fill out paperwork saying who can pick them up, allergies, etc. There are no planned activities that you leave kids at on the first night. This is one of the few times that adults are allowed "in" the actual AO rooms. Otherwise you stand on one side of the counter while they check your kiddo in and out.

They usually offer a couple different options regarding meals so the adults can go out. They have a time slot (5-7pm I think) where you drop your kids off at AO and the staff takes them to a secluded part of the buffet with a limited menu (pizza, fries, fruit, etc). Because they go as a group the kids have to be there by a certain time (5:15?) and there is no drop offs or pick ups during this time. Otherwise AO usually opens at 7pm so you can plan to have a late supper that night and feed the kids yourself at the buffet beforehand. AO is free until 10pm after which you will be charged around $7/hr/per kid.

They do take the kids out and about the ship occasionally as a group and this will be noted on the Cruise Compass. Usually this is either the sports deck to play dodgeball or to the promenade to have a parade. Again there are no drop offs or pick ups during this time so make sure you get the kids there in plenty of time beforehand. If it is an activity that requires a parent permission/waiver they will not bring the kids to that activity.

I think the kiddos will have a fun time if they like to keep busy and meet new people. AO is a great program if you have outgoing kids.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:18 PM, FunTimeIsSunTime said:

The first night is just the sign up time. Kids go with parents and fill out paperwork saying who can pick them up, allergies, etc. There are no planned activities that you leave kids at on the first night. This is one of the few times that adults are allowed "in" the actual AO rooms. Otherwise you stand on one side of the counter while they check your kiddo in and out.

They usually offer a couple different options regarding meals so the adults can go out. They have a time slot (5-7pm I think) where you drop your kids off at AO and the staff takes them to a secluded part of the buffet with a limited menu (pizza, fries, fruit, etc). Because they go as a group the kids have to be there by a certain time (5:15?) and there is no drop offs or pick ups during this time. Otherwise AO usually opens at 7pm so you can plan to have a late supper that night and feed the kids yourself at the buffet beforehand. AO is free until 10pm after which you will be charged around $7/hr/per kid.

They do take the kids out and about the ship occasionally as a group and this will be noted on the Cruise Compass. Usually this is either the sports deck to play dodgeball or to the promenade to have a parade. Again there are no drop offs or pick ups during this time so make sure you get the kids there in plenty of time beforehand. If it is an activity that requires a parent permission/waiver they will not bring the kids to that activity.

I think the kiddos will have a fun time if they like to keep busy and meet new people. AO is a great program if you have outgoing kids.

Thank you. This helps.