VISA gift card - can we use it?

Gma&Gpa

We were given a VISA gift card recently.  Can we take it and when setting up our account on the ship, can we use it there at the counter for our account?  I know we can use Carnival gift cards, but a generic visa gift card is my question.

thank you

5 minutes ago, Gma&Gpa said:

We were given a VISA gift card recently.  Can we take it and when setting up our account on the ship, can we use it there at the counter for our account?  I know we can use Carnival gift cards, but a generic visa gift card is my question.

thank you

Gift Cards
We accept the following gift cards as a form of payment for your cruise reservation, online shore excursion purchases, spa service purchases and Fun Shop gift purchases as well as deposit toward your onboard Sail & Sign account. Please note* - The American Express Gift Card cannot be used as deposit toward your onboard Sail & Sign account.  

• American Express Gift Card*
  • Carnival Corporation Reward Card from American Express
  • MasterCard Gift Card
  • Visa Gift Card
  • The Discover Card Gift Card
  • Diner’s Club Gift Card

It is important to retain the credit card gift card in the event of cancellation and refund due. You will need to call the gift card issuing bank (800 number listed on the back of the card) and provide the gift card number used in order for them to issue a new gift card for the credit due.

Though Carnival is willing to accept the Visa gift card, you may want to closely read the TOUs from the issuer of the gift card. Some gift cards restrict use and can not be used on an open ended room charge accounts like your S&S account. Additionally if you look around these boards there have been some complaints (not many but there are) that the "hold" placed on a credit card GC did not allow as much of the S&S account to be charged against that card, and it was many days or weeks till the hold was released that the remainder of the cards available balance could be used.

Your better bet would be to use the Visa gift card pay a portion of the remaining booking balance or to buy Cruise Cash (preloading your S&S account in the form of OBC) or prepay specific items (gratuities, excursions, spa, in cabin beverages) prior to cruising through you Manage my Booking page at Carnival.com. If the Visa gift card is over a $100 you could purchase Carnival eCard(s), with those there is no "holds" to even have to think about and if you want to use a portion of the Carnival GC on a pre-cruise purchase the remainder is still usable on board.

Gma & Gpa I had the same scenario- I was given 2 $25 mastercard gift cards... just today I bought 2 $25 cruise cash certificates for our S&S account, because I didn't want to have any hassle onboard. It worked perfectly...