Getting home from Ft. Lauderdale

seashellnana

I am looking for some suggestions to get from Ft. Lauderdale to NJ.  I have checked air, rental cars, staying in Ft Lauderdale a few days, there is just no reasonable way to get home. Coming in on Dec. 1, is creating at least a $600.00 additional money to our cruise.  Does anyone have any suggestions that might help.  I can’t believe how much rental cars are when you return to a different location than picking up.   NOT HAPPY TONIGHT.  

Thanks for the help with this, we finally decided to rent a car and drive home.  Looked at ‘Spirit, but once you pay all their extra fees, their fare isn’t as reasonable as it seems.  And I just could never sit on a train.  Haha.  But thanks so much for your help.  

seashellnana

My DH and I used to drive to our condo on Hutchinson Island FL ( about a two hour drive south to Ft Lauderdale) from our home on Long Island.

We did the drive in three days- I know others do the drive in less number of days, but the time frame fit our comfort zone.

I am not certain how many days you plan to be on the road.

But considering cost of flying versus driving, you could consider amounts spent for gas,meals and lodging (if you plan to stay overnight (s) to break up the trip).

Not to mention wear and tear on yourselves driving that distance.

With those considerations, airfare may be just as doable as driving.

Have you looked at Southwest or JetBlue ? 

If you could stay in FLL and go out on Dec 2,fares maybe lower.

I think the reason for high fares on Dec 1 is that people are traveling that day as the last day of Thanksgivng vacation.