crossing the equator

passaporta

I crossed the equator twice while serving in the Navy and the initiation was quite a thing to behold. It started before the sun came up and ended around lunch. We flew the Jolly Roger while the ceremony took place. Think of things like bobbing for Baby Ruth bars in a new unused toilet that was filled with cottage cheese and Baby Ruths.......that was just the tip of the iceberg. I think crossing on a cruise ship is probably a little more tame than what I went through!!

Bob

p.s. there was no ear piercing going on when we went through it. That must have been an older part of the initiation.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Crossed the equator twice in the last 4 months. Both ships had "King Neptune" ceremonies. They basically led out the pollywogs ( those staff who have not crossed it before) into a "cage". The "judge" usually the CD reads the charges. The staff are led before the "king" to receive their justice. They are then slid across tables while "docors and nurses" usually cast/staff, cover the convicts with nasty food stuffs. Once it was lettuce, mustard,relish,oatmeal,custard, pudding,etc. Once it was just colored egg whites. The jury consists of the Captain,HotMan,1st officer, etc. and they by thumbs up or down decide wheather the convicts get dunked in the pool or have to wait in the sun until it is over. It is alot of fun and great photo ops are to be had. Hope this helps

Trisha

Ah, becoming a 'Shellback' in the US Navy. Can't imagine the civilian initiation is anything like the Navy's. haha And for the record, ear piercing in the Navy is a tradition that reflects that you were on a ship that was sunk and you survived. Until the mid 80's, is was written in the uniform regs, believe it or not.

• 4 weeks later...

ahhh yes... the memories come flooding back. I too was in the U.S. Navy and 'crossed the line' a few times. The first was the most memorable! By order of King Neptune, I can't explain all the details of the initiation ritual. I can however tell ya, that when we done (and proud) we stripped and tossed all clothes (including shoes) in the ocean...walked back to the sleeping quarters 'butt naked' and showered for 20-30 minutues!

It was the best day on the high seas!

Archived