Disembarking the ship by walking off

Northern Light

We have always used a Princess transfer to get us to the airport, sometimes including a tour on the way.   This cruise ends in Quebec City will take a cab to the airport which will be significantly cheaper than taking the ship's transfer.   I know that one can simply walk off the ship.   Our issue is that we would be happy not to have to handle our large suitcases.   Can we put them out the night before and still pick them up at the terminal?  If yes, would we likely be restricted to a time frame?  Flight leaves at 1:00    Needless to say that I will still confirm disembarkation procedure when on the ship but hope someone has already done this so we have advanced information.  

It seems like you're asking two different things?

The Princess self-disembark/walk-off option is for those who can handle all their bags without assistance. You must get all your bags from cabin to shoreside on your own. Note: If you put your bags out, they will not be available to you in the terminal for self-disembarkation.

If you want to take a cab, you can still leave your bags out, be assigned a disembark time, pick up your bags in the terminal and get a cab. If you're worried about making a 1pm flight time, just request an earlier disembarkation group.

I almost always disembark (along with most of the ship's passengers) by putting my baggage out the night before, leaving the ship when my disembarkation group is called, and going out through customs/immigration/baggage claim.  I then take my bags to my car in the parking lot or to the Uber pick-up area or to the shuttle area. 

To do this, I do NOT need to have booked an excursion through the ship.  Off the top of my head, the only time I can recall using a ship's excursion at disembarkation was Alaska.

In case my previous post was not clear:

1 hour ago, Northern Light said:

Can we put them out the night before and still pick them up at the terminal?  If yes, would we likely be restricted to a time frame? 

The above is the norm for passengers who have not booked transfers or chosen self-disembark.  Usually you will get a form to request your preference for disembarkation with several options re: approx times. If you are given a time you don't like, you can go to the passenger services desk to request a change.    

Edited by ell52

Thank you very much ell52 and Mike45LC.  In spite of how I wrote it, you understood perfectly what I was trying to find out.  It will make DH happy to know that there is an option which doesn’t involve us trying to get our larger suitcases off the ship on our own.   Now we know what to do.

Sandy