Cruise Critic Community
Edgewater601

Can anyone give me thoughts/recommendations on the Residence Inn Downtown Vancouver?

Three couples are arriving at YVR on 7/2/20 for a one night precruise stay.  Got a refundable rate less than 350 Canadian which includes all taxes/fees/breakfast, which in comparison to other downtown hotels didn’t seem bad.  I have looked at reviews on trip advisor and other sites and am not seeing anything bad.  I know we will have a cab ride from the airport to the hotel and another cab ride from the hotel to the pier.  Is there anything I should be concerned about, construction or late night bar noise,  unsafe area, poor service, cleanliness, etc.?  Has anyone stayed there before who can provide information?  Thank you!

Can't speak to interior room comfort/front desk service, as never stayed, but in terms of location it's fine & dandy. You're close to Davie - which has plenty of shops & restos - but just far enough that the party scene there shouldn't annoy you (Granville, even worse for late night revels, parallels you two blocks away but since Hornby is one way the wrong way for night buses at that point drunk bridge & tunnelers won't be hanging out on your street at 3am). The other side of the street is a construction site right now, but by next July that phase will be long complete (Google 'Burrard Place' and 'Burrard Gateway' - it's basically another giant multi-tower condo & office development taking up an entire city block).

A minor concern is that the last building on that block, which will go where 7-Eleven and other low-rises on the Davie end are right now, has now had plans released so it *might* start being built soon after they finish the current buildings - but it's the required 'all rental' building which means low priority and even if they did plan construction to start next summer they have to evict several different businesses with varying lengths of lease. Plus, the typical Vancouver pattern is to wait as long as possible before starting on 'all rentals' in case there's a regime change or something else that allows the developers to weasel out of their commitments and make extra profits with a larger mixed-use building or even another condo tower with rental units built somewhere further away (and cheaper!) instead...

I will point out though that you could be in the even-cheaper and slightly-better-located-for-walking YWCA hotel instead (even though they've finally moved to a dynamic pricing model you should still find regular 'double/twin with en suite' hotel rooms for ~$200 at the Y).

Personal safety really isn't a concern anywhere in downtown Vancouver - even the skeeviest parts may look icky but it's only property theft that is of comparable concern to large US metro areas up here (cars, and especially shiny things visible inside cars, go missing plenty up here) while any kind of 'crimes against persons' are very low in comparison to US cities.

5 hours ago, martincath said:

Can't speak to interior room comfort/front desk service, as never stayed, but in terms of location it's fine & dandy. You're close to Davie - which has plenty of shops & restos - but just far enough that the party scene there shouldn't annoy you (Granville, even worse for late night revels, parallels you two blocks away but since Hornby is one way the wrong way for night buses at that point drunk bridge & tunnelers won't be hanging out on your street at 3am). The other side of the street is a construction site right now, but by next July that phase will be long complete (Google 'Burrard Place' and 'Burrard Gateway' - it's basically another giant multi-tower condo & office development taking up an entire city block).

A minor concern is that the last building on that block, which will go where 7-Eleven and other low-rises on the Davie end are right now, has now had plans released so it *might* start being built soon after they finish the current buildings - but it's the required 'all rental' building which means low priority and even if they did plan construction to start next summer they have to evict several different businesses with varying lengths of lease. Plus, the typical Vancouver pattern is to wait as long as possible before starting on 'all rentals' in case there's a regime change or something else that allows the developers to weasel out of their commitments and make extra profits with a larger mixed-use building or even another condo tower with rental units built somewhere further away (and cheaper!) instead...

I will point out though that you could be in the even-cheaper and slightly-better-located-for-walking YWCA hotel instead (even though they've finally moved to a dynamic pricing model you should still find regular 'double/twin with en suite' hotel rooms for ~$200 at the Y).

Personal safety really isn't a concern anywhere in downtown Vancouver - even the skeeviest parts may look icky but it's only property theft that is of comparable concern to large US metro areas up here (cars, and especially shiny things visible inside cars, go missing plenty up here) while any kind of 'crimes against persons' are very low in comparison to US cities.

Thank you so much for the info.  I will continue to check around since our rooms can be cancelled up to 48 hours prior to arrival--I am just glad I have something booked for now.  If I find another option, I will certainly compare; but it sounds like this is something that is doable.  I will also be interested if anyone has stayed at the Residence Inn and their opinion.

Thanks much!

I plan to stay at the Residence Inn pre-cruise in September 2019.  I’ll be able to provide information on the hotel & vicinities upon my return.

Thank you so much to each of you staying there soon.  I would so appreciate the feedback!