Mediterranean Odyssey - currency

zitsky

Someone mentioned a place in Croatia that didn't accept euros.  So it made me wonder.  Are there any cities, restaurants or stores that do NOT take euros.  I suppose in most places I can pay by credit card but I don't want to assume.

To clarify, I'm asking about the whole trip, not just Croatia.

Edited by zitsky

My recollection was the only place that didn’t take euros on our MO cruise in May/June was Croatia (Split and Dubrovnik ports) though we did see some of the open air stalls in Dubrovnik showed prices in euros as well as kuna (these cash). Most everywhere accepted visa/mc, but not always Amex. 

7 hours ago, zitsky said:

Someone mentioned a place in Croatia that didn't accept euros.  So it made me wonder.  Are there any cities, restaurants or stores that do NOT take euros.  I suppose in most places I can pay by credit card but I don't want to assume.

To clarify, I'm asking about the whole trip, not just Croatia.

Usually when we are overseas and don't quite want to 'trust' using credit cards, we get a pre-loaded card before we leave home, one which we can top-up as we go along (once we are back safely on the ship or in an hotel and can top-up in privacy).  

However, the currency of Croatia is Kuna.  We visited Split and found the only thing which appealed was Diocletian's Palace; and that there really wasn't anything worth buying.  The ship was close in enough for us to go back to the ship for any refreshments - it was a short walk.

In Dubrovnik, it's (obviously) the same currency, and in the time available as we stayed in Dubrovnik for our excursion this time, and again the only items on sale didn't appeal, and the ship had a good shuttle bus service going for those who didn't want a very hilly long route between ship and town.

I see Viking does show the local currency on MVJ.

We used to buy art.  The only things we tend to buy these days are coffee cups with some local design or maybe tshirts.  Somehow we managed to buy two coffee cups in Prague one more than we needed.  Our cabinet is full now so no more cups I think.

Edited by zitsky