Bermuda Electric Vehicles

onthewingsofsong

Educate me please! Family of four cruisers wanting to perhaps rent vehicles and toot around Bermuda for a day. What best to rent? How easy is it to park in towns and at beaches? Where does one leave the vehicle overnight when we board our ship to sleep (seems like rental agencies have a minimum rental period of 24 hours)? Many thanks.

We've never rented anything in Bermuda because there were no rentals allowed in Bermuda.   I saw something called a Twizy that looked cute!  It looked like you sat one behind the other.  Is that what you are looking at?  Remember they drive on the left side of very narrow roads.  We always take public transportation,  ferry and buses.

12 hours ago, njkruzer said:

We've never rented anything in Bermuda because there were no rentals allowed in Bermuda.   I saw something called a Twizy that looked cute!  It looked like you sat one behind the other.  Is that what you are looking at?  Remember they drive on the left side of very narrow roads.  We always take public transportation,  ferry and buses.

Rentals of two seater electric mini cars are now allowed. There are three companies who can rent the cars which can only have two seats. The company that rents the Twizy was first and has the most charging stations. Their rental locations are at the Hamilton Princess and Fairmont Southampton. It makes most sense I think to pick up the vehicle in Hamilton. The second company rents to type of electric vehicles. One of their rentals is similar to the Twizy with the seats one behind the other. Their other rental car they have has the two seats side by side. They do have a rental pickup location at the Dockyard. The third company uses the hummer electric mini which I think has side by side seats. I don’t think the third company has started rentals yet. The charging stations of the two companies that are available are not compatible. You can’t charge one type of vehicle at the other.  I personally won’t do this on Bermuda roads from a cruise ship but might consider it if I flew to Bermuda for a week with more time. The roads are narrow with no shoulders and they drive on the other side. I also don’t really have much fun driving, it’s like a chore to me so combing the public and private transportation works for me. I think many could enjoy renting these small electric vehicles and they seem safer than the mopeds. We always read of major moped accidents and injuries. The electric mini cars so far don’t seem to have major accidents and injuries although that may be because there are only 300 of them. The Twizy even has an airbag. 

Edited by Charles4515