when should I book for Nov 1st sailing South Pacific

triptastic3

New to NCL but did a bunch of cruises years ago on RCL, haven't cruised in 12 years. Looking to do something different. I plan on traveling around Australia and New Zealand but thought why not cruise to Australia to see a different part of the globe that I normally wouldn't see. So.

I am looking at doing a back to back on the NCL Jewel From Honolulu to Papeete sailing Nov 1st. Followed by the Papeete to Sydney sailing Nov 14. 

I will be cruising solo. I have two questions. 1st. Both cruises show a solo discount but the price for a sail away inside is just twice the double occupancy rate. Is this common that it says a discount but there isn't one?  2nd. The price has dropped on each cruise since early July, a total so far of $1200 cdn between the two. Given the time out from sailing and the fact there are still tons of cabins available I assume it will drop further. When should I wait until to book? 

I understand there is no definitive answer on when to book but for those who have looked at similar cruises or re-positioning sailings in the past I figure someone may have some insight.

I just booked Vancouver-Honolulu on the Jewel, leaving Oct 21. This is the sailing righ before the ones you are looking at. I had been tracking the prices and availability, and same as you, lots of cabins left and the prices had dropped about $500 in the past two months.

This week, at 90 or 89 days before sailing, there was a gigantic price drop (another C$500 for an inside; and C$950 for a balcony), and the solo discount was really only 50% of double occupancy, so that is when I decided it was time for me to book.

Ninety days before sailing, the cancellation penalty rises to 50%, so pretty much everyone who paid the higher prices is locked in by then. I have a feeling NCL will apply a similar price drop to the cruises you are looking at at 89 days-pre-sailing, which for the first one should be sometime next week... Good luck.

• Like 1

Good to hear. I had not been tracking that Van - Hon cruise but I will now. I see there are still a ton of cabins left on that sailing in all categories. I do notice it is down from when I first looked in late June but I don't remember if there was a noticeable solo discount back then. A 50% solo surcharge would be great for both of the ones I am looking at. Right now it is a 100% surcharge.

I had planned on waiting until early August and less than 90 days. I will definitely do that now.

We just booked both cruises.  The price was the selling point.  I think the price will come down due to high inventory, but I also got a great airfare from Sydney, so I had to take the price of the cruise as of yesterday.  Sometimes the airfare won't cooperate!!

I am going on a Princess cruise to Greenland in a few weeks and I booked about a month ago.  I got the cruise for about $1000 pp, and it ended up being the lowest price, it is now about $1500pp.  You never know, it has just gone up since I booked. Maybe they got enough people to book with that low price.  I have gotten fantastic deals at the last minute, but when you need a long distance airfare, sometimes you can't wait until the last minute.  

Goodluck!