Dining Q, no random group dining still? If so, NOT FOR US

bobnsofi

TRIVIMP, It all adds to the joy that is cruising but I do like to be able to enjoy my meals without that stress! 

My weirdest experience happened 30 minutes after getting on my first ever cruise. I was almost doing cartwheels I was so excited to be there (I still feel the same every time I get in a cruise). We were joined at a buffet table by a older American lady who told me off for not being Irish enough (I’m Scottish) as I wasn’t wearing a Cladagh Ring. 

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, bobnsofi said:

Hi All, 

We were thinking of cruising on the GEM next season, and we typically avoid Norwegian,

due to a Norwegian dining policy, that jibes with one of our favorite reasons to cruise.

We enjoy the main dining room for every meal.

We enjoy sharing a large table with others on the cruise, other cruisers that we have not met prior.

Our typical protocol is to show up for breakfast and lunch at the main dining room, during regular service hours.

We approach the main dining room and ask to share a large table, with others.

We have had wonderful experiences doing this on many other cruise lines, but not Norwegian.

The few times I have tried this on Norwegian, we were turned down. Small table for the 2 of us, no exceptions.

Does Norwegian still have this policy of not seating cruisers in group dining tables?

!!! If so, no GEM for us !!!

Also dinner, 

No large table dining with our ship mates?

Only a small table for the two of us?

Not happening for us if this is still the Norwegian rule

That is not  a Norwegian policy, but you are likely to be seated at a tablel for 2 because  most people don't want to share with strangers.

We were on the Jade in March. They always asked us if we wanted to share a table in the dining room at lunch, but they never asked us at dinner. We prefer to dine alone, as do most passengers on NCL. It sounds like you prefer a more traditional cruise, so a different line might be more comfortable for you. 

On 8/4/2019 at 3:09 PM, zqvol said:

That is not  a Norwegian policy, but you are likely to be seated at a tablel for 2 because  most people don't want to share with strangers.

That fits me and my wife. Our jobs (technical support for me, advertising consultant for her) involve all-day contact with strangers. When we're at dinner on our vacation, we prefer to be by ourselves.

• Like 2